PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I meant, I would think over time with the saliva, nail polish would break down.

I’ve only read about bakelite possibly having issues, when it was first introduced as a stem material.
Our saliva is meant to break things down and, with the possible exception of glass/vitreous material, that includes all of the materials you mentioned plus steel, concrete, etc.

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland
As opposed to acrylic, vulcanite, plastic, resin, bakelite, amber, chemicals in tobacco smoke, etc.?
I'd say Nail Polish is more toxic in any amounts than those, and most likely is consumed in far larger amounts.
I would rather use a plastic soup spoon than a wooden spoon with nail polish coating.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd say Nail Polish is more toxic in any amounts than those, and most likely is consumed in far larger amounts.
I would rather use a plastic soup spoon than a wooden spoon with nail polish coating.
Bakelite and clay pipes are both known cancer risks, in for a penny, in for a pound. Even particles from the clay itself can cause lung scarring if accidentally inhaled. Nothing particularly healthy about what we do.

H

HRPufnstuf

Bakelite and clay pipes are both known cancer risks, in for a penny, in for a pound. Even particles from the clay itself can cause lung scarring if accidentally inhaled. Nothing particularly healthy about what we do.
We consider smoking an acceptable risk. I'm in complete agreement with you here CE. After all, I "ate" about three inches of my last clay stem over 25 years. I just want the next one to last as long as possible.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We consider smoking an acceptable risk.
Wasn't saying that it's not. He's just been overly anxious many times about aspects of smoking or the tools for its use that were on par or negligible when compared to smoking itself.

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland
Well, just keep on puffing nail polish, we'll see how it works for you nnnn

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Not at all, just prevents ripped lips from the clay.
And it beats having to keep it constantly moist. Keeping your lips and the pipe sufficiently moist will prevent sticking, but who wants to lick the end of their pipe constantly while smoking? Plus, I hate the smell of saliva (though I don't think anyone actually likes that smell). And it does this without adding bulk to the end like wrapping with twine would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So...

Here’s my Story, so everyone understands when they see PipeIT bringing up Health Issues... LOL 😝

My body is extremely sensitive, I have some seasonal allergies, but I rarely notice them, and I also have allergic reactions to certain foods, dairy wheat, soy, yeast, chocolate etc...

In my mid 20s, I started getting migraines.

It has taken me decades in my life to realize what was the cause of all these things, because they didn’t always clearly present themselves.

After decades I finally realized I can’t eat and consume certain things, they can trigger a Migraine, also sometimes making me feel hung over, or sick to my stomach, or just plain feeling like crap.

I get Migraines from Food Triggers...

Tobacco also bothers me, if a blend is heavy in nicotine, I can experience my heart feeling quite heavy, and it can palpitate for hours, a very uncomfortable feeling.

So, since I am highly sensitive, I don’t like to suffer, that is why I brought up this subject of the polish.

While most will probably never notice anything, I could, and because of what I just explained, I have to be careful, so I avoid a lot of things in life.

Something I found out, when it’s an irritation brought on by the consumption of something, Activated Charcoal is amazing! :)

P.S. Now you all know my little story, so don’t give me shit next time! LOL just kidding, love you guys! 😝 ❤️

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I saw an update on Instagram today for Clarin, and a new pipe they released, which I noticed is also on SPC, flecked with oxidized sediment.

Now that's an interesting take on a clay pipe. One thing I really like on this one though are thos the chamber dimensions.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The prices on the Clarin pipes are insane!

They are pricey, but they are hand made artisan too.

I’m certainly no clay expert, I’ve never seen a higher quality clay than these. Makes me wonder, maybe we are looking at the finest crafted clay pipes, ever... hmm 🤔