PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland
I like the idea of a French Whip like that on a clay stem. Food for thought.
I also remember reading somewhere to rub honey on the stem (not sure if it was honey) and somebody said to do both (honey and hemp). The hemp is mainly for clenching since it won't destroy your teeth.1700808212456.jpeg
Of course if you are not scared you can always get a cool pipeholder in your mouth if you want nnnn
Man that skull looks happy with his choices :D

H

HRPufnstuf

I also remember reading somewhere to rub honey on the stem (not sure if it was honey) and somebody said to do both (honey and hemp). The hemp is mainly for clenching since it won't destroy your teeth.View attachment 263949
Of course if you are not scared you can always get a cool pipeholder in your mouth if you want nnnn
Man that skull looks happy with his choices :D
I had the same clay for almost 25 years and never had an issue with the stem at all and it was never finished. I had to retire it eventually because I had nibbled the stem to under 3 inches and the bowl was in danger of burning my nose. I have no tooth wear, either. All I can say is YMMV.

I still think, when I buy a new clay, that it wont hurt to try some of these ideas.

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland
I had the same clay for almost 25 years and never had an issue with the stem at all and it was never finished. I had to retire it eventually because I had nibbled the stem to under 3 inches and the bowl was in danger of burning my nose. I have no tooth wear, either. All I can say is YMMV.

I still think, when I buy a new clay, that it wont hurt to try some of these ideas.
Well, a lot of these skulls exist. But I guess these folks just smoked a clay pipe constantly while clenching hard while working. Or maybe they did it deliberately? In any case, I would watch out.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Oooh wow, someone scored one! 👍

Ahh I see it has their logo, it looks like etched on the top of the shank near bowl.

That’s an interesting shank style/shape.

NOW that airway, that’s quite different. It looks rather small in the pic, any idea on millimeter size? Hmm 🤔
The bowl is actually ample taking a surprisingly large amount of tobacco, the draft hole allows for very free smoking and the seam is almost invisible. It has some heft to it as well. Indeed the logo is stamped on the stem near the bowl. I have used electric tape for the mouth piece and am smoking mcbaren plum lake for the inaugural first bowl. I might have to buy a few more.17008576949124497147671116784119.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The bowl is actually ample taking a surprisingly large amount of tobacco, the draft hole allows for very free smoking and the seam is almost invisible. It has some heft to it as well. Indeed the logo is stamped on the stem near the bowl. I have used electric tape for the mouth piece and am smoking mcbaren plum lake for the inaugural first bowl. I might have to buy a few more.View attachment 264074

Sounds nice....

I was actually just thinking of putting electrical tape around the stem, instead of nail polish.

Can’t say I like the idea of nail polish, on my mouth.

I’m still curious to know what the draft hole size is. It would be nice if that info was listed on SPC for the Specs.

P.S. Might even be nice in the future if Clarin offered them with different draft sizes... hmm 🤔

H

HRPufnstuf

Having a PAD attack! Your images have convinced me to go after their cutty. The draft appears large enough to pass a cleaner! The bowl size is admirable, too. It is easy to see where the additional cost fits into these pipes.

P.S. : It's done! I'm eating beans this winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HRPufnstuf

Well, a lot of these skulls exist. But I guess these folks just smoked a clay pipe constantly while clenching hard while working. Or maybe they did it deliberately? In any case, I would watch out.
It would be interesting to know the occupations of these people. Sailors at the time would have had their hands full of rigging, so clenching would not be surprising. The same for any other tradesman. It would be interesting to see the skull from a pipe-smoking aristocrat from the same period to see if this dental pattern was class distinctive.

Reactions: Santiago

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland
It would be interesting to know the occupations of these people. Sailors at the time would have had their hands full of rigging, so clenching would not be surprising. The same for any other tradesman. It would be interesting to see the skull from a pipe-smoking aristocrat from the same period to see if this dental pattern was class distinctive.
People in the past had their hands full regardless and probably did not care all that much about potential damages. People were just built different.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I'm also curious if enamel modeller's paint would serve well as a stem dip?

Why not just use some electrical tape? Fancy colors too...

I don’t like the idea of applying some chemical liquid that hardens, that possibly breaks down overtime from the saliva, and now ingesting this.

I’d rather use electrical tape, which you could also peel it off and apply new tape from time to time if it wears.

And wrap quite a bit around, which would also be softer too.

Hmm, or even wrap in hemp...

Last edited:
Reactions: Green Hill piper
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Some people are pretty skilled at smoking a pipe while doing activities, but I imagine when running around and having to work hard with both hands, just chewing the stuff made more sense.

I'm also curious if enamel modeller's paint would serve well as a stem dip?
I've used enamel fingernail polish on my clays. I still wrap them with a layer or two of electrical tape for cushioning.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As opposed to acrylic, vulcanite, plastic, resin, bakelite, amber, chemicals in tobacco smoke, etc.?cray

I meant, I would think over time with the saliva, nail polish would break down.

I’ve only read about bakelite possibly having issues, when it was first introduced as a stem material.

Reactions: Santiago