PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I really like the quality look these pipes have.

I have only clays with vulcanite/ebonite bits but if someone knows and could post how to varnish a stem post manufacture I'd love to give that Canadian a shot.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

I have only clays with vulcanite/ebonite bits but if someone knows and could post how to varnish a stem post manufacture I'd love to give that Canadian a shot.
Clear nail polish.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yep! Measure a little over one inch from the mouthpiece and then put some tape around the stem. You can use varnish which was the traditional stuff used in the Victorian period or you can groove into the 21st century and use hard nail varnish borrowed from your wife, girlfriend or cross dressing neighbor. Paint the exposed area of the mouthpiece and allow it to set hard over night. Remove the tape and voila you have a perfect finish. The advantages are that you don't damage your lips by tearing them on the porous clay and risking lip cancer and your clay looks really spiffy especially if you use some of that sparkly nail varnish. Pollock clay pipe mouthpieces were always glazed either red, yellow or green and thus never needed the varnish treatment. In the words of Michael Cain 'Not a lot of people know that!'.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Yep! Measure a little over one inch from the mouthpiece and then put some tape around the stem. You can use varnish which was the traditional stuff used in the Victorian period or you can groove into the 21st century and use hard nail varnish borrowed from your wife, girlfriend or cross dressing neighbor. Paint the exposed area of the mouthpiece and allow it to set hard over night. Remove the tape and voila you have a perfect finish. The advantages are that you don't damage your lips by tearing them on the porous clay and risking lip cancer and your clay looks really spiffy especially if you use some of that sparkly nail varnish. Pollock clay pipe mouthpieces were always glazed either red, yellow or green and thus never needed the varnish treatment. In the words of Michael Cain 'Not a lot of people know that!'.
@condorlover1 I've had a few Pollock pipes and they've all had the red or yellow varnish on the mouthpiece.

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023

Clear nail polish should do it. I bought the Canadian and that's what I'm going to do, either that or a piece of electrical tape.

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland

You can also tie some hemp rope around the stem.
Photo is not mine:1700758409888.png

Reactions: The Clay King

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com