PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

This reply, could be perceived, assumed, interpreted in various ways.

I’m not sure what the angle is... 🤔

There are briar pipes out there insanely priced for thousands. Rhetorically speaking is $70 actually insanely priced...

I just assumed Clarin is bringing quality to the Clay World is all, and I really didn’t see any stupidity in what they were doing achieving.

It’s my understanding, that in the world and history of clay making, different than other materials, that what Clarin is doing, also makes them special and unique, because, if my understanding is correct, there’s not even 3-5 people in the world hand making clay pipes. And for this, shouldn’t we be tipping our hats and wishing them well instead, in their new venture?

Clarin is just starting out in business, is this how we should be welcoming fellow pipe smokers/craftsman?

We need to be kind, in our words, thoughts, and actions towards others! ;)

They’re not doing something insane, they’re bringing something wonderful to the world of pipes. 👍

Last edited:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This reply, could be perceived, assumed, interpreted in various ways.

I’m not sure what the angle is... 🤔

There are briar pipes out there insanely priced for thousands. Rhetorically speaking is $70 actually insanely priced...

I just assumed Clarin is bringing quality to the Clay World is all, and I really didn’t see any stupidity in what they were doing achieving.

It’s my understanding, that in the world and history of clay making, different than other materials, that what Clarin is doing, also makes them special and unique, because, if my understanding is correct, there’s not even 3-5 people in the world hand making clay pipes. And for this, shouldn’t we be tipping our hats and wishing them well instead, in their new venture?

Clarin is just starting out in business, is this how we should be welcoming fellow pipe smokers/craftsman?

We need to be kind, in our words, thoughts, and actions towards others! ;)

They’re not doing something insane, they’re bringing something wonderful to the world of pipes. 👍
Lighten up, man.
It’s a frickin slurry of clay, poured into a mold.

Like a flower pot.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Nice!

Which one? 🤔

Be sure to show some pics, and tell us how you like it, etc.?
Thanks! I got the plain white clay Canadian.

Maybe I should do a more substantial review at some point, but the gist of it is that this pipe definitely feels expensive. You could put in on the shelf of an Apple Store and no one would notice. There's pros and cons to that in my opinion.

PROS:

1. The quality is apparent in the smooth finish of the shape and the thickness of the stem and bowl. Those soft and chunky proportions make it very comfortable to smoke.
  2. As said earlier in this thread, you can fit a softy bit on the stem, but I find it comfortable enough without.
  3. The shape also allows it to sit just fine (flat, without a wobble) on a flat surface, which is very nice.

CONS:

1. If you're used to smoking a thinner-walled clay pipe, the thicker bowl is an adjustment. One of the things I like about the thin walls of my Old German Clay pipes is that I can feel when they're getting too hot and I can slow my cadence.
  2. To be fair, this is a me problem, but I see a shittier clay pipe as being a little more carefree. Like, I can go out for a walk with my mishapen Old German Clay billiard with a fingernail print in the bottom of the bowl and if it accidentally shatters, gets lost, gets carried away by a hawk, or finds its way to the bottom of the Thames, then bummer man, but no big deal. As I smoked the Clarin, I found myself worrying I was going to accidentally mess this nice thing up, which is not a fun smoking thought.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The finish on the Clarin looks wonderful. It looks like something that would appeal to me and my appreciation of craft and graceful aesthetics. But, the fragility of the material makes me wonder about bang for buck. For the price of one Clarin, I could buy eight of the least expensive Old German Clay pipes (almost nine). With either brand, one klutzy moment and kaput! But that 1:8 ratio sure seems appealing and smart in that moment. I guess it depends on what I ultimately want. For $65.00, I could get another nice little briar Ropp Etudiant—something I have to worry about less with regard to dropping. While I have some nice, and/or relatively rare vintage cobs, I admit I largely think of cobs as disposable and easily replaced; I think about many clay pipes in this way as well, although I do have collectible ones that would very difficult to replace.

It seems the less expensive clays are much thinner, but I wonder if a few hours with some sanding blocks or a Dremel could make them very spiffy. Could I make a turd into gold with a little elbow grease? Or is my time worth more than that? Maybe paying $65.00 for something nice is worth it and I just need to be careful. I may wait and see what else they offer in the future. There are briar pipes at the head of the line the Clarin is in.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Speaking of snapping, dropping breaking a clay...

I have an idea, a leather, or rubber case, the pipe is wrapped in you smoke it with, so, if accidentally dropped, it’s shock absorbent and the clay doesn’t break.

And when holding, smoking, cleaning etc., the protection helps prevent snapping too.

Also a neat way to smoke and hold a clay when it’s hot, protecting your hands.

I could see something like this as quite trendy, in various colors and materials. :)

Clarin Clay Smoking Cases 👍

@Clarin Clay Pipes ? 🤔

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Speaking of snapping, dropping breaking a clay...

I have an idea, a leather, or rubber case, the pipe is wrapped in you smoke it with, so, if accidentally dropped, it’s shock absorbent and the clay doesn’t break.

And when holding, smoking, cleaning etc., the protection helps prevent snapping a stem.

Also a neat way to smoke and hold a clay when it’s hot, protecting your hands.

I could see something like this as quite trendy, in various colors and materials.

@Clarin Clay Pipes ?

It wouldn’t be a clay pipe then.
The four top attributes of a clay are:
  1. Inexpensive
  2. Light weight
  3. Cool smoke
  4. Aesthetics
Covering it in rubber/silicone/plastic/leather/etc would impinge on all of these.

Reactions: The Clay King

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
A new take on clay pipes for the modern era then... LOL 😆

If I bought one, I would be extremely careful with it, but a case, hopefully would give greater protection and ease of use.

The case too, I see it, as adding a fashion sense as well, for those into Bling, besides adding protection.

People like all sorts of fancy, this could be popular. hmm 🤔

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I suppose the fragility of a clay no different that a meer, then. Or even more fragile, a meer with an amber stem. I think that I'd prefer a Clarin pipe unadorned. The finish does look quite nice.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I suppose the fragility of a clay no different that a meer, then. Or even more fragile, a meer with an amber stem. I think that I'd prefer a Clarin pipe unadorned. The finish does look quite nice.

I’m also into the natural unadorned classic looks.

I agree they do look quite nice.

I’m sure I’ll snag one down the road.

Reactions: The Clay King

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Some people buy $150 corn cob pipes. Clarin is doing the smart thing. They know these will sell for the instagram likes. Who remembers the $1000 Wessex hand-pressed tobacco? 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad