PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Something about the flavor and smoking qualities a clay pipe just clicks for me. More than briar, meer or cobs, they really make the flavors of certain tobaccos sing.

Maybe it’s the heat of the clay bowl teasing out volatiles without burning them? I’ve no idea.

But I’m happy to see a these folks have made a new and beautiful contribution to the clays that are out there. I’ll gladly give them a shot.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
$66 for a clay pipe, that must be only for instagram likes and not for smoking.

Nah, I wouldn’t say that, if you read up on Clarin and speak with them.

These look like very high quality, high level craftsmanship.

No disrespect to any other clay pipe makers, but these seriously look like the highest level of quality ever produced in the world of clay pipes.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Nah, I wouldn’t say that, if you read up on Clarin and speak with them.

These look like seriously high quality, high level craftsmanship.

No disrespect to any other clay pipe makers, but these seriously look like the highest level of quality to of ever come around in the world of clay pipes.

It’s still a clay pipe. Same as a $200 corn cob is still a corn cob.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It’s still a clay pipe. Same as a $200 corn cob is still a corn cob.

Same thing too for Briar, it’s just a piece of wood people are spending hundreds and thousands on.

Also, possibly depending on the quality of clay and how it’s processed, might make a big difference, so we cannot simply assume and say it’s just clay and another clay pipe.

But, do be aware, that the Clarin pipes, when you closely inspect the images, and compare to all the other clay pipes out there, Clarin appears to have Thicker Walls, which might make them smoke cooler, at least one would assume...

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Same thing too for Briar, it’s just a piece of wood people are spending hundreds and thousands on.

Also, possibly depending on the quality of clay and how it’s processed, might make a big difference, so we cannot simply assume and say it’s just clay and another clay pipe.

But, do be aware, that the Clarin pipes, when you closely inspect the images, and compare to all the other clay pipes out there, Clarin appears to have a Thicker Walls, which might make them smoke cooler, at least one would assume...

Old German Clay makes Clay pipes with Vulcanite stems at half the price.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was editing over the post, have a look back.

While it’s true as being pointed out, all carvers use the same materials, the quality and process, creating/carving of the materials can certainly vary, and the skills and craftsmanship of the carvers will also greatly vary.

So we can’t simply shrug it off and say briar is briar, cobs are cobs and clay is clay, because it’s not always that black and white or true, there can be extreme differences.

The only way to truly know, is to try and compare.

And last, it’s true, Price doesn’t always Equate to a better smoker, so, a lot of lower quality, lower craftsmanship can turn out at times good too.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Old German Clay makes Clay pipes with Vulcanite stems at half the price.

I’ve had one of Markus Fohr’s Old German Clays, a Tavern Cutty with Hemp wrap.

As I mentioned before price doesn’t always equate to a better smoker, so we can’t just look at this and call it all based off of pricing, inexpensive pipes, vs expensive pipes all the time, there are a lot of other factors that can come into play.

Eventually, when I get the Clarin Canadian, I’m also planning to get some other clays, then I’ll have others to compare it against, and I’ll make a post later about it.

Last edited:

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I’ve had one of Markus Fohr’s Old German Clays, a Tavern Cutty with Hemp wrap.

As I mentioned before price doesn’t always equate to a better smoker, so we can’t just look at this and call it all based off of pricing, inexpensive pipes, vs expensive pipes all the time, there are a lot of other factors that can come into play.

Eventually, when I get the Clarin Canadian, I’m also planning to get some other clays, then I’ll have others to compare it against, and I’ll make a post later about it.

Looking forward to your comparisons. Just dont drop one!