PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
@UB 40 I've lost count of how many I've broken; I broke my first clay and I've broken 2 so far this year...
I haven't just broken the pipes, I've broken a New Year resolution...
A re-enactor I met in Nantwich showed me how to tap the ash out of a clay pipe without breaking it; he says just tap the pipe gently on the back of your hand and the ash should fall out.
New years resolutions are overrated. My livestock nor crops know the Gregorian date, they just know where the sun and moon are. It's never a bad time to start over or wake the fuck up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Briar is terribly brittle.
Hardly. Some briar pipes, due to design, may be somewhat brittle in certain places such as the mortise and tenon. But, that is true for meerschaum and cobs. That's simply most any pipe's "Achilles Heel." Briar is a hard, durable wood, perfect for smoking pipes as demonstrated by the many hundred plus year old pipes still being enjoyed, daily. Very durable indeed!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
When I bought my MM Hardwood from the nearest "tobacco outlet" (we have no more B&M pipe stores in the area), they were baffled when I turned down the offer for screens or filters. 😁
Same story here. We have lots of dispensaries and a head shop for the Devil's Lettuce, and we have liquor stores and the local pet store for cigarettes, cheap cigars, chew, and dip. For pipe tobacco we are shit out of luck.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I own 10 or so cobs and like them. I smoke briar most of the time, but anytime I’m doing something where I need my hands I grab a cob. Sometimes just because the mood strikes me, I like them. Original post mentioned a Legend- you have to get a Country Gentleman. They’re as good as the pricier ones. I also like the Diplomat and Twain. And for clays? They smoke neutrally, I like them. Briar and cobs add something, something I like, sure. But with clays just hold the stem like a cigar. I’ve had the same one for 4 or 5 years. I’ve never broken one. Just don’t go beating it on something to empty it, use a pipe tool. I like the low maintenance, just burn it in a gas flame jet occasionally until it’s white again. They’ll glow red!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Missouri Meerschaum lists three tiny cobs as their Cornabis line.

I was against Missouri legalizing cannabis.

But like my grandmother Ma Agee’s character Tatum Mashburn used to always say about letters he’d write the gubberment back during the Second War, I tells and tells the sunsabeeches whut to do but they never listens to me, they don’t!:)

But today in Missouri it is not against state law to fire up a little cob full of weed. Three pipes out of dozens and dozens models is not catering to the stoners, if you ask me.

I’m not going to start another bad habit at my age, but I could if I druthered, you know?

Last edited:

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
Missouri Meerschaum lists three tiny cobs as their Cornabis line.

I was against Missouri legalizing cannabis.

But like my grandmother Ma Agee’s character Tatum Mashburn used to always say about letters he’d write the gubberment back during the Second War, I tells and tells the sunsabeeches whut to do but they never listens to me, they don’t!:)

But today in Missouri it is not against state law to fire up a little cob full of weed. Three pipes out of dozens and dozens models is not catering to the stoners, if you ask me.

I’m not going to start another bad habit at my age, but I could if I druthered, you know?
It can make people hurt a lot worse. Clear the mind of all the bs and suddenly all you know is that your hip is throbbing. I wrote them a spirited email about the side draft hole/carb. Natural material pipes never have them and the people that go looking for natural materials don't want them. My most expensive pipe is a 6 inch long single piece of walnut with a 1/2 x 5/8 bowl...for things other than tobacco. Also the draft hole needs to be on the stem for the function they're trying to accomplish. It's like they handed a glass pipe to the shop master and he just took a Washington Straight hacked off half the bole and drilled a hole in the side.

Reactions: Briar Lee
I suppose most of the members here enjoy a Cob pipe. Some occasionally and others more frequently. I am smoking a cob now as I type this

I doubt we have a lot of exclusive cob smoker here though. That is because when they come here, they get chased away by a member

To protect his privacy I would just say this. His forum handle starts with a C and ends with osmicFolklore

:sher:

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Love my cobs, I have around a dozen, and they get regular use. They won't win any beauty contests, but they are affordable and smoke well.
I love my briars and meers as well. I've never tried a clay, but I have become interested in them lately and will probably get one soon.
If I have one thing that might be odd amongst the pipe crowd is that I own no straight stem pipes.
+

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve been smoking a pipe since my dad pre-inherited me his collection all of 3 months ago (6 great Danish briars, a Nordcoat, a couple big freehand, and a great old MM Freehand).
I’m that short time, I’ve gotten probably a dozen blends, a handful of bulks that I mix myself, half a pound of Devil’s Holiday (2017) I picked up here, and liked it so much UPS just dropped a fresh pound off to split with a buddy at work I turned on to it.
All that said, I’ve already got 5 MM’s in daily rotation, a Morgan that does aro’s, an Eaton that does quick bowls of VaPers or Virginias, and three Missouri Prides that are the non-particular tramps.
Two cobs (at least) are with me at work, and at home I enjoy Dad’s collection.
I couldn’t imagine taking the time and care the briars would need to smoke 5-6 times a day of the at least 4 different tobaccos I have on hand daily.
Love how easy going the cobs are, but I’m too new to be sophisticated.

…but my first estate meer will be operational by the end of the week, so there’s hope for me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I couldn’t imagine taking the time and care the briars would need to smoke 5-6 times a day of the at least 4 different tobaccos I have on hand daily.
My God man! What do you do to your pipes? I sometimes run a cleaner through after a bowl (only when the draw tells me to.), stuff and light up. Maybe half a minute to take apart, if necessary, pass the cleaner once or twice, reassemble, stuff, light and enjoy. The briars do just fine with this routine. I pick up a briar to smoke for the day in the morning and return it to the ashtray when I return home. I more thoroughly clean briars smoked during the week on Sundays, usually smoking a meer, one meer, all day for anywhere from 8 to 12 bowls. Meerschaums are only for at home smokes. Briars are for the field, usually one for eight or twelve hours stalking photo subjects. Cobs when driving the chainsaw, working wood in the shop or, driving the tractor. Oh, and when floating in the tube, drowning flies.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Interesting thread-
Cobs exclusively no. I really enjoy smoking my different briars and Meer pipes.
I have 11 cob pipes and they get pulled into the weekly rotation regularly.
I enjoy smoking burley blends in my cobs - especially MB ODF or Pegasus.
I just picked this gem up at an antique store today. It’s in like new condition.

78F948AB-5A49-4458-BCFC-2068682774C0.jpeg1F2E59AB-A1B4-4A0B-9BD2-02F3DB685899.jpegD32F02BC-9751-4314-9ECB-3C881380A5C5.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My God man! What do you do to your pipes?
I smoke most of the time in between/during doing demo/pouring concrete, welding, running heavy equipment, cleaning/clearing storm drains-you know, just the regular stuff us blue collar grandpas in our mid fifties do…

I don’t smoke in our house, and mama’s not as enthralled as I am-but the dog crap has been getting picked up in our backyard more often now that I spend time with my briars out here in the yard😉