PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
Missouri Meerschaum developed a special, hybrid corn working with the University of Missouri’s agricultural department. It’s all they use.

At the Missouri Meerschaum factory in Washington there’s a fascinating exhibit about the special corn they contract.

It has to be harvested on antique corn pickers like my father used.

It’s shelled at the factory and the corn is sold, maybe today to bourbon makers, but traditionally to local farmers.

Then the cobs must age in the attic for at least two years.

The special hybrid produces a vastly superior cob for pipes. The grains are smaller, which makes for tighter “grain” in the cob, and there is more cob than corn compared to other varieties, and the cobs are tougher.

If ever visiting St. Louis the Missouri Meerschaum factory is a worth while side trip.

Breaking Down Missouri Meerschaum Pipes • Missouri Life Magazine - https://missourilife.com/breaking-down-missouri-meerschaum-pipes/
I've got an old machinist/mold maker I owe a visit to in the Ozarks. He's always talked about his families tractor collection in Washington. I can go study early American steam & hotbulb engines, shoot Krag riffles (smoothest action ever), and now, tour a museum that all the Clan Watts/Clan Lingman Oakies (large well establish families in the region) will be stoked on. A room full of giant men wearing overalls with a tobacco cud and no one spitting 😂 I'd pay just to get the pictures.

Thank you for that information.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the tip. I can’t really compare. I never use filters. For me clays are in another universe/dimension, they are so different. I will say: I smoke clays with larger bowls and I never have trouble with them getting too hot. The bowl is usually just warm. If want to really understand a blend, taste all I am capable of tasting in it, I reach for a clay
@makhorkasmoker I only smoke clays:)

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
At home, I'm almost exclusively a briar guy, but when I'm out and about with the horse, or playing golf, it's cobs all the way. I had a close call with my SMS claw meer out in the forest, and I made up my mind that day to never risk such a catastrophe again.

I've got a workhorse of a MM Country Gentleman that I've used for the last year, and it's wonderful. I also have a MM mini-cob--great for express-lane (10 mins. or less!) smokes in the bitter cold. Lastly, waiting patiently for its turn in the queue is an unsmoked MM dagner cob, which I don't plan on using until the Country Gent's time is complete.

So if my horse spooks, (it's rare, but not unheard of), I drop the cob and it breaks, no biggie. $12 loss. But a briar...that would NOT be good. Glad to have my Country Gent!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
OK thanks! Clearly your experience with clays must be very positive. I'll have a try one out for myself. Are they as fragile as I have been reading about?
@gervais I've broken more than a few in the last 5 years...
Broken 2 so far this year; one of the Sealed Knot re-enactors I met at Nantwich showed me how to tap the ash out of a clay pipe without breaking it. He says just tap the pipe gently on the back of your hand and don't touch the side of the ashtray like I did when I broke my clay...

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
After all it’s clay.
@UB 40 I've lost count of how many I've broken; I broke my first clay and I've broken 2 so far this year...
I haven't just broken the pipes, I've broken a New Year resolution...
A re-enactor I met in Nantwich showed me how to tap the ash out of a clay pipe without breaking it; he says just tap the pipe gently on the back of your hand and the ash should fall out.