12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
If I were being perfectly honest with myself I would never smoke anything but Cobs, the standard Missouri Meerschaum 80 cent plastic stems have the best internal air channel design of any pipe at any price (equal to the best custom made stems), and using Briar for the smoking chamber doesn't improve on the functionality of a pipe in any meaningful way over smoking a Cob.
I do like the look of a good sandblast though.

Mar 1, 2014

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I own a MacAurthur, and I wonder if Dugout Dave actually smoked his or just used as a prop.:)

F253C27E-1B9C-4A31-9EE9-DB10F598FFF2.jpeg

The bowl is very tall to actually use, without a lot of tamping.

My favorite type of MacAurthur is the General. It’s nearly half the price and the same diameter, with a more useable chamber height.

DE939F0C-5BC2-4678-A2EC-569F400EA840.jpeg

Again, at the Missouri Meerschaum museum they have a wonderful exhibit on the MacAurthur model. Always a publicity seeking prima donna, Mac discovered one of his staff was from Washington Missouri and his trademark long cob pipe was developed specially for him, through his adjutant working with the folks back home at MM.

It was, and remains a good seller.

MacAurthur’s nemesis was the Man From Independence, a stern non smoking Baptist, the opposite of the flamboyant general. But Harry was quite popular in Missouri, especially after he ended the Second World War without having to invade Japan.

My grandmother Ma Agee loved Harry as much as she hated FDR, and that was quite a bit. You might too, if you had sons waiting to invade the Japanese home islands, who came home instead.

But Harry never had a cob pipe made in his honor,:)

Visit MM if you can. It’s worth the trip.

F

fMf Piper

If I were being perfectly honest with myself I would never smoke anything but Cobs, the standard Missouri Meerschaum 80 cent plastic stems have the best internal air channel design of any pipe at any price (equal to the best custom made stems), and using Briar for the smoking chamber doesn't improve on the functionality of a pipe in any meaningful way over smoking a Cob.
I do like the look of a good sandblast though.
I am a new pipe smoker, and so far I have only smoked cobs. My first pipe was a MM Diplomat 5th Ave, and I liked it so much, I ordered a Mark Twain and a Country Gentleman to add to my now growing collection. I appreciate the beauty of Briar pipes, and I am not ruling out that I will own one, or more, someday. However, for now, I really like my simple, inexpensive, unpretentious cobs. :sher:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I love them. This is the one of mine that saw the most use, perhaps of all of my pipes in general (although mine just have the normal black plastic stems):

1E642133-2F89-4338-B74F-7F32A1F6E15B.jpeg

I’m not a big LOTR fan, or anything, but it just seemed to have the perfect bowl for my style of smoking, and I was finishing a BS (online) while I was smoking a lot, so it was down and out of the way of my view of the computer screen. Kinda grew on me and became the daily.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
I am a new pipe smoker, and so far I have only smoked cobs. My first pipe was a MM Diplomat 5th Ave, and I liked it so much, I ordered a Mark Twain and a Country Gentleman to add to my now growing collection. I appreciate the beauty of Briar pipes, and I am not ruling out that I will own one, or more, someday. However, for now, I really like my simple, inexpensive, unpretentious cobs. :sher:
You can also make your cobs pretentious if you buy an expensive stem for it (which IMO ruins the best feature of the Missouri Meerschaum smoking pipe, the injection molded plastic stems are brilliantly designed).

Reactions: fMf Piper
F

fMf Piper

You can also make your cobs pretentious if you buy an expensive stem for it (which IMO ruins the best feature of the Missouri Meerschaum smoking pipe, the injection molded plastic stems are brilliantly designed).
I agree. I like the standard MM stems.

Reactions: tirefire

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I would have to think that the quality of the cob makes a difference? Do they use a special variety?

Yes. In 1950 Dr. Marcus S. Zuber, an agronomist from the University of Missouri, developed a hybrid called Pipe Corn No. 14. According to Richard Carleton Hacker, in his The Ultimate Pipe Book, "The hybrid cob is larger, longer and stronger than your standard garden variety vegetable, and its fibers are so high in wood content that it takes a carbide-tipped saw to cut through them. The hybrid cob is grown by selected farmers in the rich, fertile lowlands that surround the town of Washington. The corn is grown strictly for the cobs they will produce and the small white kernels of the hybrids are regarded as a by-product (they are routinely sold off to companies who grind them up into cornmeal for tortillas). It is the thick, sturdy corncobs which provide the real income for this area. Each fall they are harvested and trucked to the same old red brick building that has been the home of Missouri Meerschaum since 1872. Once inside, the cobs are "de-kerneled" and piled in a ventilated storage area where they are aged for about two years, a curing process that gradually gives them the density of fine grained hardwood. At the end of this period, the cobs are taken from the storage bins and sliced into various lengths for pipe bowls. An average cob will yield two standard sized pipes..."

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I smoked them almost exclusively my first year of pipe smoking. I still smoke them but very rarely. After purchasing a couple of Savinellis and meerschaums they fell out of favor on my rack. Nothing wrong with a cob though they smoke well enough.

WerewolfOfLondon

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 8, 2023
London
Here in the UK, you rarely see anyone smoking a pipe. Being in central London, I probably see more than most (I saw one today, and before that two weeks ago in St Albans, London's nearest other city). There was a time though, when one would see pipe smokers much more regularly. But what I have never seen, is someone smoking a corn cob. Briars, always and only. Are corn cobs something you guys would see people smoking in America? Like, what are the chances of a pipe smoker, smoking a cob? Did dads, uncles, grandads, smoke cobs?

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Here in the UK, you rarely see anyone smoking a pipe. Being in central London, I probably see more than most (I saw one today, and before that two weeks ago in St Albans, London's nearest other city). There was a time though, when one would see pipe smokers much more regularly. But what I have never seen, is someone smoking a corn cob. Briars, always and only. Are corn cobs something you guys would see people smoking in America? Like, what are the chances of a pipe smoker, smoking a cob? Did dads, uncles, grandads, smoke cobs?
Smoking is becoming less and less public in the USA, so the social aspect has very much dwindled and vanity is almost absent from it in the daily execution. Either go hide in the back alley and get your fix, or wait to enjoy your pipe at home. That being said, I know three other people that smoke cobs... however, it was me who gave each of them their first one. From other smokers, the reaction is usually as follows,

"Is that an actual corn cob? I didn't know that was a real thing?"

Most people think of them as props for snowmen and nothing more these days. My personal mission is to educate them otherwise :)

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon
Jun 3, 2023
I really enjoy my Country Gentleman MM, ordered a few more from MM of different types but now I just want more Country Gentleman. Cool Smoke, easy to clean, pretty lightweight and I think it looks great. I do enjoy briar pipes as well and have no experience with meer or clays still relatively new pipe smoker (1 year). I like the idea of loaner cobs for my cigarette smoker friends who come over and let them borrow one for the night, send it home with 'em if they really like it.

Attachments

• 20230606_141827.jpg
    20230606_141827.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2