PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Also love cobs, easy pipes to smoke. Have several different shapes.

Couldn’t get one at a tobacconist I n my hometown near cologne although he sells some briars. He looked at me and asked if I were a US-farmhand to shove a dirty cob in my pocket. Other pipes would suit better.

I’m not a farmhand but I might like to shove a cob onto the pocket of my jeans. And so left the baccy store, ordered some straight from MM Missouri to cologne after receiving a friendly mail from Marilyn.

Yes they change colour like a meerschaum smoke dry, good draw and are tough, the right bowl sizes small to medium for me on top of it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For a mild, sweet smoke a cob has no betters, and genuine Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes cost about six dollars to ten for the cheaper series and twelve to twenty dollars for the top grade.

Aside from expensive artisan cobs, a pipe smoker should only buy new Missouri Meerschaums, the Asian copies are inferior and usually not even cheaper.

And Missouri Meerschaum still markets giant Freehand models, made one at a time from freakishly large hybrid cobs, with lucite stems, at about $30.

4D24BAEE-A608-4454-9C8D-D58E3EAC716A.jpeg

I smoke MM cobs at my farm when I’m outside, or anytime I want an extra smooth, extra mild smoke.

There’s something about a cob that softens the smoke.

They aren’t dressy, but they’ve been pleasing pipe smokers since Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn paid a nickel for ones like these, that still occasionally come up for sale on eBay as new old stock.

2BF2CB24-C017-4A8B-B0CB-FBB66634DD71.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
big fan but why limit yourself to the cob?
I surely don’t.

I might only have one cob for every ten briar pipes I own.

And I do have “beater” briar pipes I could take out in the woods or while working at the farm.

But a large, deluxe series Country Gentleman MM cob like this is still only $12 online today, brand new, all you want.

996D6B13-81F6-4CCA-88D3-24FC2D6E316E.jpeg

One of those saves ones like these I just bought from any chance of being damaged.

56101953-B815-404C-9876-60B60D6DB8D9.jpeg212F9DC4-8F96-4AB6-BBEE-329FA860C717.jpeg
7BAD3364-B512-411A-A294-BF4132052DD7.jpeg7A5E6616-4278-48E0-9682-01C6EAB1B7FD.jpeg

If I drop my Country Gentleman in the woods or get herbicide on it, I get another one.

For just pure smoking pleasure, a cob pipe is not bettered and is easily replaced.

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
big fan but why limit yourself to the cob?
I've been smoking a pipe for 22 years. I've had numerous briar, hardwood, meerschaum and cob. The best I can equivocate non-cob pipes too is like owning a car with a "fancy" badge or suit that costs over $100. I haven't found any added value in the price tag. I don't collect anything, it's a hording behavior with a fancy title.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I smoke only cobs, clays, and especially mm hardwoods. I have several briars but I never smoke them anymore. My main problems with briar have been the stems/bits. They slip out of my clench and break. The non- briars also smoke better—for me. I hope one day to find a briar that I like as much as my non briars or more because I love the look, feel, scent, quality of briar, but at this point I’m not searching, just enjoying my non briars, including cobs

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I smoke only cobs, clays, and especially mm hardwoods. I have several briars but I never smoke them anymore. My main problems with briar have been the stems/bits. They slip out of my clench and break. The non- briars also smoke better—for me. I hope one day to find a briar that I like as much as my non briars or more because I love the look, feel, scent, quality of briar, but at this point I’m not searching, just enjoying my non briars, including cobs
I own two clays, six Meerschaums, and maybe a couple of dozen cobs altogether.

I love the rich, robust taste of well seasoned briar, and believe only a good briar provides that experience.

That said a cob or meerschaum is a sweeter, smoother, milder smoke, and different than a briar.

Maybe it’s all in my head, but a cob comes out when I’m not sitting around concentrating on smoking a fine briar.

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
I started making bits out of replaceable 8mm silicone straw tips. Wearing dentures, I understand pipe slipping. The pipe bit allows me to get a good clamp on my molars. Could you compare the differences and similarities of a bisque clay to a MM with a charcoal filter? One of the sponsors here, tobaccopipes, has some 6" clay in under $15 range.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I started making bits out of replaceable 8mm silicone straw tips. Wearing dentures, I understand pipe slipping. The pipe bit allows me to get a good clamp on my molars. Could you compare the differences and similarities of a bisque clay to a MM with a charcoal filter? One of the sponsors here, tobaccopipes, has some 6" clay in under $15 range.
I find a clay to provide a neutral smoke. I can only taste tobacco, if that makes any sense.

The disadvantage of clays are they get extremely hot to hold, are fragile as an eggshell, and the look is best appreciated outdoors at a black powder shoot.:)

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Had MM not gone headshop, they'd probably be the only pipes I smoked. Easily as good if not better than artisan briars or meerschaum. I need to see if there are any unheard of domestic producers of cob pipes.

When I bought my MM Hardwood from the nearest "tobacco outlet" (we have no more B&M pipe stores in the area), they were baffled when I turned down the offer for screens or filters. 😁

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Thanks for the tip. I can’t really compare. I never use filters. For me clays are in another universe/dimension, they are so different. I will say: I smoke clays with larger bowls and I never have trouble with them getting too hot. The bowl is usually just warm. If want to really understand a blend, taste all I am capable of tasting in it, I reach for a clay

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Feed corn.
Missouri Meerschaum developed a special, hybrid corn working with the University of Missouri’s agricultural department. It’s all they use.

At the Missouri Meerschaum factory in Washington there’s a fascinating exhibit about the special corn they contract.

It has to be harvested on antique corn pickers like my father used.

It’s shelled at the factory and the corn is sold, maybe today to bourbon makers, but traditionally to local farmers.

Then the cobs must age in the attic for at least two years.

The special hybrid produces a vastly superior cob for pipes. The grains are smaller, which makes for tighter “grain” in the cob, and there is more cob than corn compared to other varieties, and the cobs are tougher.

If ever visiting St. Louis the Missouri Meerschaum factory is a worth while side trip.

Breaking Down Missouri Meerschaum Pipes • Missouri Life Magazine - https://missourilife.com/breaking-down-missouri-meerschaum-pipes/

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
When I bought my MM Hardwood from the nearest "tobacco outlet" (we have no more B&M pipe stores in the area), they were baffled when I turned down the offer for screens or filters. 😁
I recently discovered carbon pipe filters, it's the first pipe filter I liked. I'm an allergic, mess so screens help me have an asthma attack. I picked up using a pebble from Anglo-Europeans for those times I'm getting too much plant with my smoke....like my reeeeaaaaally shallow bowl walnut pipe for "herbal treatments."