PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I paid on the hotel's site but used the link on the Chicago PIpe Club's web site to get there. My rate was $145 a night. Did I do it wrong?

I think $145 (before taxes & fees) is the show rate. I’m guessing you did it right. If you have any doubt you can call the Westin and confirm that your reservation is part of the show‘s room block, and that the show will get “credit” for your room.

Reactions: litup

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
On a related subject: would anyone from the Chicago Club who sees this please clarify the other logistics, especially:

-how big is the smoking tent, where is it located, and what are its hours?

-ditto for the exhibit hall: how big is it (# of tables), and where is it located?

Perhaps most crucially, will a shuttle be running between the Westin and the nearest Portillo’s?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Now that we have confirmed that there will be a Pipe Show, the officers will meet again to work on the details of the various activities that will take place at the show.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I think my job will bring me near Chicago at the time of the show, but I won't be staying in the area. Is one permitted to just drop in at the show and hang out for a couple of hours?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The smoking tent will be 7200 sq ft -- 60'x120'. In previous years, it was 3200 sq ft. One of the advantages of Pheasant Run was that they were so desperate for business, that they accommodated smoking in some parts of the hotel for a fee. Not so at the Westin and virtually every other nicer hotel in Illinois, where absolutely no smoking is allowed in the hotel itself. I imagine that the larger tent is in recognition of the fact that more folks will come to the tent to smoke as a result of the hotel policy.

I do not have details yet on the planned use of the available convention space. I expect that it will look somewhat different than it did in the Pheasant Run Megacenter, which was an enormous continuous space.

It is extremely important to the survival of the show that rooms be booked via the link below. CPCC has committed to booking a certain number of rooms. Reserving your room in other ways does not credit the show with a booking.

This Westin is located a short distance from Schaumburg, which has the enormous Woodfield shopping mall, numerous restaurants of every kind, and movie theaters.

For those who want more tobacco destinations beyond the show, The Cigar Lounge is next to the Woodfield Mall and less than 10 minutes away. Arlington Heights Pipe and Cigar is a 15 minute drive. Iwan Ries is in the Loop in Chicago, but Chuck Levi brings a good chunk of their inventory to us at the show, so I'd save that visit for another time.

Golfers may be interested that it is also very close to the historic Medinah Country Club, which has hosted numerous PGA events. It has three courses, including a family friendly course for all skill levels.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I live close enough to drive, so I won't be booking a room. Will the admission still be $15? Also, how about a donation box where we could throw a few bucks in to help the club.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I'm sure donations would be accepted, but my understanding is that the biggest source of money generated at the show that will stay with the show (as opposed to going to/being split with the venue, etc) is the silent auction. If yer of a mind to donate, just bid up an auction item. It will make both the club and the donor happy.

Full disclosure: I will be putting a SCooSA in the auction again this year.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I am shaking my head that the group rate for the show is more expensive than booking direct without the "group" rate. Group rates should be cheaper.

I booked with the club link regardless, I'm in from Friday through Monday. Hopefully support this year means next year the Westin's group rate is less. And I was stuck with a single King bed as of 6:30pm yesterday when I booked. A double is much nicer for two people.

I'll give the bed to dad and hopefully there is a couch I can sleep on. I hate hotel room carpet.

Reactions: sfduke and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, what a save. Congratulations to the organizers who did the nearly impossible in record time. Hip-hip hooray! If that can be absolved from the charge of idle speculation; I certainly wouldn't want to do any of that.

• Haha
Reactions: krizzose and BROBS

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Congratulations on finding a home to stage this year's Show.

As for the room rates, or other issues, ask yourself whether the few bucks difference is more important than having the Show. Maybe just be thankful you have a Show to go to.

I get it. I'm paying extra, not a few bucks. Over $100 extra for three nights. 2 adults, one bed. Not ideal. But I'm paying and attending.

I'm happy there is a show. I will also donate to the auction like I do every year. So will my father. We will also spend money at the auction and meals at the hotel.....

But a group rate should not be more expensive than just booking independently. I'm not changing my stance on that. Although to your point, I am thankful it's happening and have paid the extra and am attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.