PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’m surprised there isn’t more concern about virus related restrictions and risks in this thread. I hope that optimism is warranted.

I was thinking the same thing. Not gonna find me at any conventions anytime soon, haha. Not with a baby at home. That and my old ass parents I see regularly.

Reactions: Casual and Bowie

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
My parents own vast sums of land so I have been hitting so many conventions, Meet-N-Greets, Insurance conventions etc. I have 2 cruises next week alone!

Just kidding. They don’t own any land?

Reactions: BROBS

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I was about to book a Friday morning flight, but then started thinking: Is there a point to getting in early? I won’t be able to check-in until 3pm, and this place is surrounded by nothing. A nice neighborhood, but nothing in the way of landmark Chicago spots since Chicago proper is about an hour away. Are there going to be any meet ups or anything else going on that warrants a morning flight? If anyone is heading into Chicago on Friday I can share the cost of a rental or Uber. Let me know.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I was about to book a Friday morning flight, but then started thinking: Is there a point to getting in early? I won’t be able to check-in until 3pm, and this place is surrounded by nothing. A nice neighborhood, but nothing in the way of landmark Chicago spots since Chicago proper is about an hour away. Are there going to be any meet ups or anything else going on that warrants a morning flight? If anyone is heading into Chicago on Friday I can share the cost of a rental or Uber. Let me know.

There will be plenty of people in the smoking tent. And I believe the smoking tent flea auction starts at noon or so. Unless you choose to, you won't be sitting in the lobby waiting for your check in.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
There will be plenty of people in the smoking tent. And I believe the smoking tent flea auction starts at noon or so. Unless you choose to, you won't be sitting in the lobby waiting for your check in.

Hoosier, you look like a big guy who owns hunting weapons. We're counting on you to establish a beachhead at one of the tables in the smoking tent for the pipesmagazine guys.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hoosier, you look like a big guy who owns hunting weapons. We're counting on you to establish a beachhead at one of the tables in the smoking tent for the pipesmagazine guys.

Well, I do own weapons but they're more to protect myself and my family in case multiple big guys decide they wish to harm any of us. However, Chicago kind of frowns on personal protection. They'd prefer to let the bad guys carry guns and shoot everyone else.

From the sounds of it, the smoking tent will be twice the size so table space shouldn't be an issue. I do hope you can stop by and have a smoke or three along with some beverages.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA

There are folks in the tent pretty much 24x7 from Thursday morning until 8 am Monday morning. Some people arrive as early as Wednesday.

The Friday morning tent sale starts at 9, if I recall correctly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the show turns out to be a good revenue stream with minimal hassles for the hotel, I suspect the room rate will become negotiable in future years. Once the business makes some money, the repeat business becomes a strong incentive.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
If the show turns out to be a good revenue stream with minimal hassles for the hotel, I suspect the room rate will become negotiable in future years. Once the business makes some money, the repeat business becomes a strong incentive.
Will have to see how it goes but the last time the Chicago show was held at a multi show room venue it was a one year and done and that was when you could still smoke inside. ?

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
I am very hesitant about booking my trip, this coronavirus situation is really looking bad and it is highly possible that the event will not take place at all, as many other events are being canceled nationwide and globally.
Or if it will there will probably not be people from Europe and Asia.

We will see for sure in 2/3 weeks, probably it's a good idea to get the flight ticket with the insurance for cancellation :rolleyes:

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I am very hesitant about booking my trip, this coronavirus situation is really looking bad and it is highly possible that the event will not take place at all, as many other events are being canceled nationwide and globally.

We will see for sure in 2/3 weeks, probably it's a good idea to get the flight ticket with the insurance for cancellation :rolleyes:
Wise choice, considering the NCAA just announced that all games in the men's and women's basketball tournament will be played without fans in attendance.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's just been declared a pandemic, and the numbers of cases continue to rise. So stay flexible with regard to plans for an event still a month and a half off.
People are avoiding crowded areas, such as stadiums, etc.
My grandnephew's Bar Mitzvah is next weekend, and in the past few days, almost all of the out of town guests have cancelled due concerns over flying and just being in an airport. Being stoopid, I'm still planning to attend, but I'll be the only out of town family member doing so.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Luckily I’m within driving distance so I don’t have to worry about airfare, but I definitely paid extra for the room so I could cancel and get a refund

Reactions: hauntedmyst

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

I agree that the show is threatened by factors beyond its control; restrictions or even prohibitions on large scale events could be imposed at the Federal, State, or local level. Right now the situation is very fluid, and likely to remain that way for some time to come.

The silver lining is that airlines, in response to declining demand, have offered consumers unusual protections. For many if not most US carriers buying insurance during the coronavirus pandemic is unnecessary. Such insurance, by the way, is typically expensive and limited in coverage (unless you buy "cancel for any reason" coverage which is pricey and only offers partial refunds).

Typically airlines are offering the ability to cancel or change any class of flight that you book now. If you cancel you generally won't get a refund, but you will get a credit that's usable for future travel up to a year from now. The precise details vary by airline so it's very important to visit your preferred carrier's website and read the fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies.