PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
On a related subject: would anyone from the Chicago Club who sees this please clarify the other logistics, especially:

-how big is the smoking tent, where is it located, and what are its hours?

-ditto for the exhibit hall: how big is it (# of tables), and where is it located?

Perhaps most crucially, will a shuttle be running between the Westin and the nearest Portillo’s?
I'm not sure of dimensions on smoking tent, but they said it was the same size they've been getting in the past. The show is taking place in a separate tent, and I might not be remembering correctly, but I think they said it was 80' x 300'...I remember thinking it's about the same as a football field, so this is probably pretty accurate. I'll have my car there, so let me know and I could probably be convinced pretty easily to make a Portillo's run...although Al's Beef has far superior fries ;-)

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Perhaps most crucially, will a shuttle be running between the Westin and the nearest Portillo’s?

I am not going, but having been born and raised in the Chicagoland area this is very important

Reactions: BROBS
Apr 25, 2017
I'm not sure of dimensions on smoking tent, but they said it was the same size they've been getting in the past. The show is taking place in a separate tent, and I might not be remembering correctly, but I think they said it was 80' x 300'...I remember thinking it's about the same as a football field, so this is probably pretty accurate. I'll have my car there, so let me know and I could probably be convinced pretty easily to make a Portillo's run...although Al's Beef has far superior fries ;-)
The smoking tent according to an earlier comment is twice the size (7200 square feet) of past tents at the show. The larger tent is because no smoking anywhere in the property.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
which is fine.. just a little confusing if you can smoke in a smoking tent outside but not in the tent with the show. NBD just curious. I don't want to speculate.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I think my job will bring me near Chicago at the time of the show, but I won't be staying in the area. Is one permitted to just drop in at the show and hang out for a couple of hours?

No you SOB, you man up and commit to the show like the rest of us....hang on....

"yeah? He can? That's a bit of mixed message isn't it? What? Mixed with what you said earlier. Ok. OK! Well...why ask me to answer the in comings and then get mad when I act like myself? It makes no sense......FINE.....I'll tell him"

Of course you can.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
To clear up any confusion, the show will be similar to the setup at Pleasant Run. The show floor will be inside the hotel, where smoking is not permitted. As in the past, there will be a smoking tent in the hotel parking lot, but it will be much larger. I believe this is because the Westin is much more strict about their No Smoking policy in rooms.

Ron123, who is a fellow CPCC member, mentioned the idea that there would be two tents -- one for the show and one for smoking. That proposal was strongly considered by the club and as recently as our last club meeting, it seemed to be the probable choice. While a two tent show was never thought to be an optimal solution, it was at least financially viable during a time of contractual uncertainty. It appears to me that Pheasant Run's official closing finally freed the club to pursue a full range of options; so in the end, the two tent option was abandoned. That we ended up at the Westin was a happy surprise to me.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
On the important topic of Italian Beef and Chicago hot dogs, there are lots of good places, like Al's Beef, but the biggest players are Portillo's and Buona Beef. Both are excellent. I slightly prefer Buona for Italian Beef sandwiches and Portillo's for their Chicago-style hot dogs. Buona has some of the best fries I've ever had. Overall, I prefer Buona Beef.

If you're not familiar with our Chicago-style hot dogs, they're an all-beef kosher hot dog on a steamed bun, preferably with poppy seeds. It will be topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish ( optionally electric green), dill pickle or sometimes a cucumber spear, sport peppers, tomato, and the defining ingredient -- celery salt. It's acceptable to eliminate ingredients, but adding ketchup is Chicago hot dog heresy.

Italian beef is one of the true Chicago foods. Deep dish pizza gets all the press, but it hasn't been all that popular since the 1980s. Italian beef sandwiches have been a Chicagoland institution for decades and they're hard to find outside of the area.

When ordering a beef, you have some say in how much of the "gravy" (think au jus) is on the sandwich. The normal way just has the gravy that clings to the beef. Or, you can get extra gravy that's ladled onto the sandwich. Finally, you can get it dipped or, as Buona calls it, baptised. The entire sandwich gets dunked in the gravy. Although delicious, it can be messy. You do not want to eat an Italian beef in your car.

You have the option of adding cooked sweet peppers or mild or hot Chicago-style giardiniera, which is pickled vegetables and olives in olive oil. I personally order mine with extra gravy and mild giardiniera.

You may also see the option of a combo, which is both Italian beef and grilled Italian sausage. It's really good, too, if you're man enough.

Portillo's is also known for their Cake Shake, where they literally cut a slice of chocolate cake and blend it with ice cream to create a shake. Over the top sweet, a zillion calories, but delicious.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Overall, I prefer Buona Beef.
Me too.
If you're not familiar with our Chicago-style hot dogs, they're an all-beef kosher hot dog on a steamed bun, preferably with poppy seeds. It will be topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish ( optionally electric green), dill pickle or sometimes a cucumber spear, sport peppers, tomato, and the defining ingredient -- celery salt. It's acceptable to eliminate ingredients, but adding ketchup is Chicago hot dog heresy.
A good all-beef kosher dog also has that "snap" to it when you take a bite. I skip the the sport peppers and I do add ketchup.

Reactions: Kozeman and jguss

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Translation for non locals: "sport peppers" are quick-pickled jalepeños. At the time of their addition to the classic Chicago hot dog, it was thought that consumers would not want "foreign" ingredients in their "American" food.

What's extra crazy is that the pickled veg in oil mix that Craig mentioned above was invented locally about the same time, and they gave it a super ethnic-y name - "giardinera". It does not exist in Italy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting about the food. The Italian Beef sandwich sounds like a copy of the classic French dip, which was invented in Los Angelels at either Cole's or Philippe's. Philippe's claims to have invented it in 1918, while Cole's claims to have invented it in 1908.

Here's an article giving a nod to Philippe's and a raspberry to Cole's:

Both are still in business and doing well, raising the blood pressure and hardening the arteries of happy Angelinos.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
That we ended up at the Westin was a happy surprise to me.

For those coming to the show for the first time, or even those flying in it is a much more favorable location. Closer to the airport, closer to the city, movie theaters, comedy clubs and shopping. It's even better for the vast majority of people in the Chicago are since St. Charles is a bit in the boonies. Let's hope the Weston likes the club's business.

Status
Not open for further replies.