PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think the main issue is smoking in Chicago.. it's freaking banned everywhere.
You can't even rent a shelter in a park and smoke in it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If this show was the Des Moines Iowa pipe show...ok , I could see you having only a few spots to host to show.
but this is the Chicago pipe show..there has to be numerous places in the Chicagoland area that would host this show. Why in the world it is still held at the dumpy pheasant run is beyond me...and then they pass out a letter last year begging people to stay at this dump to support the show ? Sorry...wouldn’t bring my wife either.

You should start calling around on your own then and see what you can find. All you're looking for is a place with a very large parking lot, a 20,000 SF or more Pavilion to handle the exhibitors and a circus tent with heat, beverages/alcohol to handle 250 to 500 pipe smokers. And oh by the way, there's an excellent chance some of the vendors at the show will allow LOTS of smoking in the rooms they rent to host Customers. For that matter, it is possible if not likely some of the attendees will smoke in their rooms. I'd like to add it is a relatively tight budget and these pipe smokers on the average aren't known as big spenders.

Please let everyone know when you line up the first 4 or 5 to choose from.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The Pheasant Run has announced that the hotel will be open for the Chicago pipe show. They will bring back laid-off staff to work the event. Sounds encouraging.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At Pheasant Run, the older staff might show up, but others may have had to go on to other full time employment right away, so they may be short handed. But as hoosier points out, the needs of a pipe show are unique, so this year, it may be lucky to have the venue. I guess a pipe show is a sort of fugitive activity in the current climate. Desperados all.

Reactions: logs and BROBS

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Good news that there will be a 2020 show, and thanks to the members who are working to pull it off. This and other pipe shows are not only fun, but important in keeping the pipe community alive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If people came understanding the situation, something might be patched together with non-smoking lodgings and restaurants, but a smoking/sales area on private property (and that's the trickiest part). A tent with heaters and security, where insurance would cover the owner in case of mishap. Actually the clandestine feeling might be part of the fun, if it was legal and accepted by community and attendees. VFW or Legion posts wiling to rent their space for a few days is worth exploring. Maybe do the whole thing as a tailgate party in a parking lot rented for the purpose. Pheasant Run sounds extra iffy at this point. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt; I can't make the show, but I'm interested in how it might be realized. Someone inside the hotel business might have ideas no one else would think of, if you know anyone.

Reactions: logs

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Sabina Santos was informed by The Pheasant Run Resort that the show will not be held there this year. It does not sound like an alternate location has been identified yet though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hopefully the organizers will find an alternate soon, before the international attendees decide to cancel out and/or make other arrangements. It's a tough situation. Clearly Pheasant Run was aware of their financial situation but chose not to alert clientele like the CPCC.

You hit on a major issue. If things aren't solidified soon, many of the exhibitors and attendees who have to make plans further out won't have any choice but to cancel altogether.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Agreed. The fuse is getting pretty short for international attendees in particular and all exhibitors in general. As a tourist it's pretty easy for me to decide late in the day; for those guys it's different.

But we have to remember that more than seven weeks have passed since Winton posted that the Club was looking into alternative locations in addition to talking to Pheasant Run. Hopefully they've had enough time, notwithstanding the intervening holidays, to surface other viable venues.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pheasant Run was a good venue for many years, I'll give it that. This year might have to be improvised and a lesser gathering, but presumably something will turn up for the 2021 show. Chicago and surrounds offers a lot of possibilities, but locating them takes detective work and a lot of time. I would think some outlying towns would be interested to have a good spirited crowd come and spend some money at restaurants and lodgings.

Reactions: BROBS

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
My understanding is that there is a short list of venues that are being actively negotiated with. The next business meeting of the CPCC is two weeks from today 1/25. Someone more in the know than me ought to be able to shine a light for us soon after.

As nothing more than a member at large of the club and not associated with the planning or running of the big show, I trust those folks to know the urgent nature of the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.