Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perhaps a farewell junket at the old venue. I sure hope it works out. This will give time to explore a backup plan for 2021.

Reactions: scloyd

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
"“This week I spoke with the President of Hostmark, the manager of Pheasant Run. He assured me that PR will be open and will host the 2020 Show. This will be after laid off employees will be called back after the slow winter months”, said Craig Cobine."

I bet those laid off employees are going to be a cheerful bunch.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
"“This week I spoke with the President of Hostmark, the manager of Pheasant Run. He assured me that PR will be open and will host the 2020 Show. This will be after laid off employees will be called back after the slow winter months”, said Craig Cobine."

I bet those laid off employees are going to be a cheerful bunch.
Check your smoke detectors!

• Haha
Reactions: logs

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I called Pheasant Run and booked my room. I'll look into flights soon. But I'll probably look for tickets that are refundable in the event of a change of plans.

Reactions: spartacus

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Anywhere else to stay near there that's recommend? I have to be able to sell it to the wife if I have any chance of going. Especially if it's as run down as people are saying it is?

Thanks.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The Pheasant Run isn't a great facility and it's not likely to impress your wives. But, having said that, it goes a long way to support the show (and the facility) if you stay there anyway. It's crucial that we support the establishment that hosts us as we've just seen how precarious the show's existence is when location becomes a problem.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I understand that this is a circular argument, but folks not staying on site is part of the issue with this or any venue that might host a pipe show. They're counting a high percentage of attendees staying, eating, and drinking at the facility.

It does not excuse bad housekeeping or management, of course, or require you to put up with the same. But as a group that requires special accomodations (smoking tent/circumvention of law) we are more attractive to this and future venues if we can reasonably promise to fill the host's hotel, restaurant, and bar for a long weekend vs just stinking up their ballroom and parking lot.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Your comfort is your concern and your own choice. However - for reasons of keeping our appeal to this and future hosts of the show, I am going to recommend that folks stay, eat and drink at the venue as a matter of principle. You are free to do what you like with that recommendation and your own money.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Honestly, I've stayed off site once before when I couldn't get a room and I didn't enjoy my experience nearly as much. I travel to Chicago to experience the show and spend time with friends. Staying off site just translated to less time with people and less time enjoying the unique experiences of a large pipe show.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Pheasant Run is pretty bad and it is sad, but I've stayed in far worse over the years.
I guess the horrible reviews, photos, and tales of being bitten horribly by bed bugs is going to dissuade me.

Throughout the whole Chicagoland area this is the best/only place available?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As has been noted repeatedly places that welcome smokers and smoking events are few and far between. Bottom line: we don't get to pick where the show is. If anyone thinks this is a democracy they're laboring under a misapprehension. The Chicago club is the organizer, and it's because of them that there's any show at all. The people who do the work get to make the choices. We only get to decide whether or not we are going to attend. I know enough of the guys in the Chicago club to believe that they are doing their very best to address an extremely difficult problem.

As for Pheasant Run, yes it's it a bit of a dump, but frankly I'm not traveling with my kids or spouse and my standards for a pipe show aren't the same as for a family (or romantic) vacation. I'm going there for me, and to spend time with my pipe friends. Looked at that way Pheasant Run is just fine. If the 2020 show takes place I'll be there, wherever it is located.

By the way, I completely agree with litup's point. Not only is staying at the show venue a way to ensure it's continued survival by contributing to the economics that make it work, it's a lot more fun. Co-location of the event and lodging is somewhere between highly desirable and absolutely critical. I know of shows that lost co-location and died.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Roughly 150 of the resort's 190 employees, including on-call staff members, are expected to be laid off by mid-January, said Christine Andrews, Hostmark's vice president of people and culture. Separation notices have started being delivered, per the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act.
Pheasant Run will continue honoring existing reservations by groups and guests through the end of February, she said.

crack-and-stained-sink.jpg

ceiling-leak-and-falling.jpg

We will be down at the Hampton..

Status
Not open for further replies.