PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
Looking forward to the show. Will get rooms booked at Pheasant Run this week. Of all the years we have showed at this venue only 1 year was off site due to hotel being booked.

Reactions: ron123

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
As has been noted repeatedly places that welcome smokers and smoking events are few and far between. Bottom line: we don't get to pick where the show is. If anyone thinks this is a democracy they're laboring under a misapprehension. The Chicago club is the organizer, and it's because of them that there's any show at all. The people who do the work get to make the choices. We only get to decide whether or not we are going to attend. I know enough of the guys in the Chicago club to believe that they are doing their very best to address an extremely difficult problem.

As for Pheasant Run, yes it's it a bit of a dump, but frankly I'm not traveling with my kids or spouse and my standards for a pipe show aren't the same as for a family (or romantic) vacation. I'm going there for me, and to spend time with my pipe friends. Looked at that way Pheasant Run is just fine. If the 2020 show takes place I'll be there, wherever it is located.

By the way, I completely agree with litup's point. Not only is staying at the show venue a way to ensure it's continued survival by contributing to the economics that make it work, it's a lot more fun. Co-location of the event and lodging is somewhere between highly desirable and absolutely critical. I know of shows that lost co-location and died.

Jonathan, The last paragraph hits the nail on the head.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd like to add, if you're going to the show for the hotel and amenities, I think you're missing the point. For me at least, the Chicago Show is for hanging out with a group of friends that attend from other parts of the country as well as meeting the many great pipe smokers who attend. It's for swapping pipes and tobacco, seeing all the pipes and tobacco as well as accessories and chatting and rubbing elbows with the talented and personable pipe carvers from around the world. Given all the challenges they must face, the local Chicago Pipe Club does a phenomenal job with what I'm sure is a huge amount of volunteer effort. The fee to enter the show itself is comically low.

I have had a fantastic time the past 2 years. I would attend even if I had to sleep in a rented tent outside the smoking tent. I think EVERYONE should figure out a way to keep it positive and support the show and not take for granted that it will always happen, year after year. I for one would be extraordinarily sad if the show ceased to happen. Just my 2 cents worth.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I understand your points.. but you guys must either not be married, or your wives are much more tolerant than mine. I honestly don't know if I would stay in the place myself even without my wife.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I've been married for 20 years. I can't speak to tolerance levels, but my wife knows its important for me to spend time with "the guys" and accepts that I'm going to go to the pipe show every year and she has zero interest in tagging along.

The PR is not a palace but it keeps me warm and dry at night when I'm sleeping in the bed and that's basically the only time I'm in the room anyway.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I agree with the guys and gals who are going for the pipe show and to show support the Chicago pipe club for sure. But, some of us are not going on a guys weekend, I would be traveling with the wife and several children.

I am all for keeping the show going but I kinda enjoy my wife and this kids as well. Not to mention my life as, it would do no good to go to a pipe show to buy some great pipes and not have a head to smoke it out of.

The intent for my original question was for people who have gone and perhaps stayed at a different facility?

Certainly the experience will be different staying off site vs staying there. Kind of like the dorms in college!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree with the guys and gals who are going for the pipe show and to show support the Chicago pipe club for sure. But, some of us are not going on a guys weekend, I would be traveling with the wife and several children.

I am all for keeping the show going but I kinda enjoy my wife and this kids as well. Not to mention my life as, it would do no good to go to a pipe show to buy some great pipes and not have a head to smoke it out of.

The intent for my original question was for people who have gone and perhaps stayed at a different facility?

Certainly the experience will be different staying off site vs staying there. Kind of like the dorms in college!

There are a number of nicer hotels within less than a mile of the PR Facility.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The tone of much of this thread brings to mind someone who won millions in the Powerball lottery, then couldn't stop whining and raising hell because he'd have to pay taxes on it.

To have an organized event of ANY kind involving tobacco in 21st century America is amazing, never mind a world-class one... and to have a small army of long-suffering, tireless enthusiasts who are willing to go through the logistical hell of organizing it is more amazing still.

Add this year's moving target venue situation and it's outright astonishing.

But it's much more useful and satisfying to criticize from the sidelines and bitch about wrinkles in the carpet.

Words fail me...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
But it's much more useful and satisfying to criticize from the sidelines and bitch about wrinkles in the carpet.

Words fail me...
I guess I was looking forward to the fact it might be somewhere else....
And wanting to be able to stay in a decent place with your wife or family I don't think is a "wrinkle in the carpet".

I understand that smoking is poo-pooed in the whole state of Illinois.. so are a lot of things but apparently weed is fine. I didn't realize you can't even smoke in a park anymore in Chicago. Maybe the solution is have the pipe show at a large convention center downtown near enough to Iwan Ries that the smoking lounge can be utilized?

Or it may have to be moved to less Draconian state.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Maybe the solution is have the pipe show at a large convention center downtown near enough to Iwan Ries that the smoking lounge can be utilized?
I don't know exactly how many people fill up the smoking tent but it's a 6,000 square foot tent that, at times, is filled to the brim with smokers. I don't think that Iwan Ries, as nice as it is, can even begin to accommodate the volume of people we're talking about here.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I live about 40 minutes from the Pheasant Run, so I won't be sleeping there. I know for a fact I could talk my wife into it if needed. Hell, I talked her into spending a night at the Wigwam Motel on Rt. 66 in Holbrook, Arizona once. That certainly was not deluxe accommodations. The office closed after we checked in and the lock on our Wigwam door was broken. I piled up all of our luggage in front of the door...didn't sleep a wink.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I don't know exactly how many people fill up the smoking tent but it's a 6,000 square foot tent that, at times, is filled to the brim with smokers. I don't think that Iwan Ries, as nice as it is, can even begin to accommodate the volume of people we're talking about here.
There are some people full of bright ideas, and some people who take action. Just let it go at that, and move on...

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I live about 40 minutes from the Pheasant Run, so I won't be sleeping there. I know for a fact I could talk my wife into it if needed. Hell, I talked her into spending a night at the Wigwam Motel on Rt. 66 in Holbrook, Arizona once. That certainly was not deluxe accommodations. The office closed after we checked in and the lock on our Wigwam door was broken. I piled up all of our luggage in front of the door...didn't sleep a wink.
Hey...do you think we can all crash at your place?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I like that everyone can speak their opinion and yet remain civil, in the old days this thread wouldnt have lasted as long.

My opinion is the writing is on the wall at the current location (literally there is writing on the walls). At some point the venue will have change once they shut down.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And I do apologize I am not in any way saying that the people planning this aren’t doing the best they can with a bad situation at all. I applaud that the show would have gone on even with the venue closing.

this would be my first year of attendance, and I’ve never been to one yet so I have no “fond memories” or history with the venue. The actual event venue to me seems great!

my only worry was with the lodging situation at this particular place. Sorry to have derailed the thread. I myself will utilize everything at the venue I can, besides lodging, and didn’t mean to make it sound any other way or that I was bitching about the whole event.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been reviewing the comments on the various pipe forums. I like what someone said,

"To have an organized event of ANY kind involving tobacco in 21st century America is amazing, never mind a world-class one... and to have a small army of long-suffering, tireless enthusiasts who are willing to go through the logistical hell of organizing it is more amazing still."

Based off discussions with Management, the 2020 Chicago Pipe Show will be at Pheasant Run. We are also looking for other locations for the future, depending on the status of Pheasant Run. The two biggest criteria are a room that can handle all the vendors and customers that we usually have at the pipe show, and a smoking tent. We are also going to consider other criteria, like restaurants, rooms, distance, etc.

Also, the activities in the smoking tent should be very similar to former years. If we did it in the past, we are likely to do it again.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
I have been reviewing the comments on the various pipe forums. I like what someone said,

"To have an organized event of ANY kind involving tobacco in 21st century America is amazing, never mind a world-class one... and to have a small army of long-suffering, tireless enthusiasts who are willing to go through the logistical hell of organizing it is more amazing still."

Based off discussions with Management, the 2020 Chicago Pipe Show will be at Pheasant Run. We are also looking for other locations for the future, depending on the status of Pheasant Run. The two biggest criteria are a room that can handle all the vendors and customers that we usually have at the pipe show, and a smoking tent. We are also going to consider other criteria, like restaurants, rooms, distance, etc.

Also, the activities in the smoking tent should be very similar to former years. If we did it in the past, we are likely to do it again.
Thank you for sharing this...we look forward to the show.

Reactions: ron123

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
If this show was the Des Moines Iowa pipe show...ok , I could see you having only a few spots to host to show.
but this is the Chicago pipe show..there has to be numerous places in the Chicagoland area that would host this show. Why in the world it is still held at the dumpy pheasant run is beyond me...and then they pass out a letter last year begging people to stay at this dump to support the show ? Sorry...wouldn’t bring my wife either.

Status
Not open for further replies.