PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a horrible time with tongue bite. I hardly ever smoke aromatics. Even Latakia and Perique force me to use PLips. However I saw C&D’s Crooner while browsing Smokingpipes.com. While not a fan of Bing Crosby I am a fan of Burley. Deer tongue i’d never tried. I read the reviews which showed me that this was a love or hate blend. I bought a tin. My first bowl was a little difficult to keep lit, requiring a few re lights which is no big deal to me. The flavor was enjoyable. I dried it a bit and had a second bowl. Drying helped. The delicious flavor was still there. And no tongue bite even from a regular stem! The cubed Burley burns well and slow. The deer tongue adds a great flavor that I like. The Burley’s nicotine gives a nice buzz that seems to make the sun shine even on a cloudy day. Since I don’t rush into things I smoked several more bowls before I made the decision to order a half pound. I would suggest trying a tin. Either you’ll love it or hate it. But it is worth trying in my opinion.
deer tongue is notorious for killing bite. Need to get some crooner.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
C&d is 20% off at smoking pipes now just saying. I didn’t care for it when I tried it but then again I didn’t like burley at the time but now I do. It’s a decent blend.

Reactions: anotherbob

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I really like a bowl of Crooner now and then. The sweet room note is about as nostalgic as pipe aromas can be. A pinch of it added to a bowl of new codger can bring out the old codger In the blend.

(If you ever feel the perverse desire to trigger random verbalized positive response to the smell of tobacco smoke, try one part Crooner, two parts Captain Black Copper, let both dry a bit together, load into pipe, and light where there are people around. Enjoy in the meantime. ? )

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I would love to try this, but my days of regularly ordering tobacco are behind me, and I've heard this will actually ghost other tobaccos in a box. If anyones willing I'd cover shipping for a few bowls worth. I love 4 noggins mojo so I know I like deer tongue, and I looove C&D burley....
PM me your details, I will send you some. I really like it and have quite a bit.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
GC is likely more costly to produce due to its Perique content.
Is there a big variant in flavor\aroma? I know... I should just try them!
I'm planning a order for early December and may go the large tin of GC route but bulk on the other two are priced better. I don't want to buy three blends that are the same thing. ( If that's the case)

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Which one is the sweetest?

I have only had GC so far and love it!

Maybe what I really want to know is what are the differences between the blends?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Which one is the sweetest
Engine 382

Maybe what I really want to know is what are the differences between the blends?

Crooner - Cube cut burley and deertongue.

Engine 382 - Black Cavendish, Burley, deertongue, Perique, Virginia.

Gentleman Caller - Deertongue, Perique, Virginia.

Mojo - Black Cavendish, Burley, Perique, deertongue, Virginia.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Engine 382

Crooner - Cube cut burley and deertongue.

Engine 382 - Black Cavendish, Burley, deertongue, Perique, Virginia.

Gentleman Caller - Deertongue, Perique, Virginia.

Mojo - Black Cavendish, Burley, Perique, deertongue, Virginia.
Awesome, thanks for this!

I will be adding the 382 in bulk but reasonable quantity since I haven't tried it yet. I love GC and my bride loves the "beard note".

Will probably get a small amount of Crooner in some form.. maybe a tin.

Seems like the Mojo and 382 are the same?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Just cracked a tin of Gentlemen Caller a few minutes ago. Smoked a small bowl and found it quite similar to Crooner (which I love) flavor wise but they look different, GC is more ribbon cut while Crooner is a nice Cube Cut. It seems this tin of GC has more Deer Tounge than Crooner as there is a lot of green specks in this tin. Vanilla like aroma that is not synthetic or like many wet goopy aros. It's dry enough to smoke straight from the tin without a single relight. Will continue to smoke this blend but so far so good.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Recently tried Engine #382. Good blend. I’ll probably order more. It is sweeter than Crooner or Gentleman Caller, with the Cavendish adding some brown sugar notes. GC is still my favorite out of the C&D deertongue blends I’ve tried, though. I like the Perique. Kind of adds a little counterpoint to the mellow deertongue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Recently tried Engine #382. Good blend. I’ll probably order more. It is sweeter than Crooner or Gentleman Caller, with the Cavendish adding some brown sugar notes. GC is still my favorite out of the C&D deertongue blends I’ve tried, though. I like the Perique. Kind of adds a little counterpoint to the mellow deertongue.
382 has Perique, just not as much. Now you need to try New Market and 4noggins Mojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.