PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I have done this and do this often with pipe shapes and finishes I especially enjoy. My Dad, who would have been 100 this year did so as well.

However, growing up, my Dad also had two identical cars (other than color)… one for him and one for my Mom. And the apple apparently doesn’t fall far, because there was a time where I had three of the same vehicle…. one for me, one for my wife, and an older one (of the same model) for one of my kids . 🙂

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have some favorite shapes in Petes, for example, and a few of those in each favorite shape, but no exact duplicates - different finishes and so forth. With other “brands” I can’t think of any shape “copies” and with commissions try to vary them intentionally.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Other than external aesthetics, ghosting, and smoke duration, I can't tell any difference from the smoking characteristics from one pipe to another. They're really nothing but a straw. These may as well have been all the same pipe.

View attachment 287594
"Chasing Embers" that is an impressive collection of that shape. I'm gonna ask a "newbie" type of question and ask what that shape is referred to? Would that be considered a "Dublin" shape??

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Other than external aesthetics, ghosting, and smoke duration, I can't tell any difference from the smoking characteristics from one pipe to another. They're really nothing but a straw. These may as well have been all the same pipe.

View attachment 287594
"Chasing Embers" that is an impressive collection of that shape. I'm gonna ask a "newbie" type of question and ask what that shape is referred to? Would that be considered a "Dublin" shape??
Bent dublin though Savinelli and GBD called it yachtsman as opposed to the yacht (zulu). The chamber has no forward cant though the sweep of the bowl suggests as much. I once had more than a dozen more than pictured but now only a few remain.
Thanks...

Well, I can say that they are beautiful pipes. I have to ask..... do you collect that shape due to the look or is the "smokeability" experience special for you?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks...

Well, I can say that they are beautiful pipes. I have to ask..... do you collect that shape due to the look or is the "smokeability" experience special for you?
At the time I collected them for the shape. I really notice no difference in the smokeability between any well drilled pipes other than duration of the smoke with different chamber sizes. With age they've become too small for me to safely hold without dropping them but with Savinelli changing the design of the shape over the last few years, that's probably a good thing.