PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I had a bunch MM Legends, and i have 2 kaywoodie shape 07 billiards that I love, and I'm always on the lookout for another. It may be my favorite shape.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
There are a handful of duplications, all factory pipes, in my collection but mostly I prefer variety, at least as far as shapes are concerned.

One of the best examples I’ve ever seen of a passion for one particular shape was at the 2012 Vegas show. A gentleman was selling off his collection of Sasieni Moorgate pipes, of which he had literally dozens:

1707278100598.jpeg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have around 70 pipes and a few are close variants of each other but no true duplicates. Like variety too much to do that. Now there is a very fine fellow on this forum who is an avid Peterson fan who seems to typically buy multiples at a time of the same pipe lately when he buys pipes.;)

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
At this point there are just too many pipes to justify doubling down. I might if the finish was different and I really loved the pipe. Id also need a guarantee that it would smoke the same :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There are a handful of duplications, all factory pipes, in my collection but mostly I prefer variety, at least as far as shapes are concerned.

One of the best examples I’ve ever seen of a passion for one particular shape was at the 2012 Vegas show. A gentleman was selling off his collection of Sasieni Moorgate pipes, of which he had literally dozens:

View attachment 286139
Jon, I remember you sharing this photo with me. I was on my way to becoming "that guy" with certain shapes, so I had to dial back my OCD.

My multiples now are pared down to:

Sasien Regent
Sasieni_Four_Dot_Regent_PAT_Gallery.JPGSasieni_Four_Dot_Regent_Ruff_Root_Gallery.JPG

Sasieni Ashford

Sasieni_Ashford_Natural_Gallery.JPGSasieni_Ashford_Ruff-Root_Gallery2.JPGSasieni_Ashford_Rustic_Gallery.JPGSasieni_Ashford_Walnut_Gallery.JPGSasieni_Plymouth_88_Gallery.JPG

GBD 9438

GBD(Jameson's)_9438_Gallery.JPGGBD_9438_Centry_Gallery_2019.JPGGBD_9438_New_Era_Gallery.JPGGBD_9438_New_Standard_Gallery.JPG

GBD 9242

GBD  9242_New_Std_('23) Gallery.jpgGBD 9242 (1950).JPGGBD 9242_NS_Gallery.JPG

And three Peterson 999s

I guess I did not completely overcome my obsession.

Attachments

• GBD_9438_Virgin_Gallery.jpg
    GBD_9438_Virgin_Gallery.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Twice.

I "invented" a unique shape, a prince-shaped bowl (styled after an old Ashton prince, which I've been told was in turn styled after an older Dunhill prince), mated to a long, oval Canadian shank. Over the past 25 years, I've commissioned variations of the Canadian Prince from Paul Bonaquisti and Bill Boyle, I've always meant to have more carvers interpret the shape, but I've not gotten around to it. I don't require all that many pipes, and - while I enjoy the shape greatly - the two examples that I have are more than suitable.

Bill_Boyle.jpg

Bonaquisti.jpg

Bonaquisti_Boyle.jpg

I much appreciate Peterson's shape XL11, which appears throughout Peterson's various lines, including as "The Original" in the Sherlock Holmes series. I had first encountered a Sherlock Holmes Original at a tobacconist, but it's price was out of my range at the time. The first affordable one I found, was a well-used Irish Seconds version. Years later, I picked up a Sherlock Holmes version and, subsequently, gave away the Irish Seconds. One was enough, but I'm very happy with the one I have.

X11.JPG

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I could see myself buying more Peterson 150's. I also like a long Lovat or Lumberman, but I didn't find a brand that makes the correct length (for me) yet. Your example of Dunhill, while I can imagine you think is a aesthetically good looking pipe, is a bit to stubby to my liking looking at the pictures which can be deceiving.

If a pipe manufacturer would make a Lovat with these proportions I would be all over it, this one is artisan made;

Reum Lovat Brickwall.jpg

Yes, I currently have 13 of the same bent Dublins by Hilson. I love the bowl dimensions, and the hang of the pipe. They are perfect for the way I like to smoke Virginias, and I can take a dozen with me when away from the house and still enjoy the same smoke all day. However, the negative is that when I do switch to one of my other shaped pipes, it takes me a while to get used to it again.

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
I like to Change from one pipe to another, love Petersons but also collect other pipes and love them all.
I like to change my pipes up too. But still have a few Petersons’s that are the same but with different finishes. I find the Peterson Killarney line in XLO2 to be particularly good smokers. As are the Sherlock Holmes Milvertons.

Last edited:

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've got at least a dozen (each) Peterson 107's and 150's in various finishes.

The only exact pipe that I've bought repetitively has been my Missouri Meerchaum General. It's my absolute favorite shaped cob. I upgraded the original with a Walker's forever stem... which is now on its third General.