PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
I could see myself buying more Peterson 150's. I also like a long Lovat or Lumberman, but I didn't find a brand that makes the correct length (for me) yet. Your example of Dunhill, while I can imagine you think is a aesthetically good looking pipe, is a bit to stubby to my liking looking at the pictures which can be deceiving.

If a pipe manufacturer would make a Lovat with these proportions I would be all over it, this one is artisan made;

View attachment 286251
Savinelli makes a smooth finish Lumberman with similar proportions in their Hercules line. Not as attractive as the pipe you’re holding though imho.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have at least 8 Peterson 314's. They seem to be the perfect combination of attributes for me.

That being said, I'm noticing that the newer ones have dimensions that are slightly smaller than the older ones, putting the 312 as perhaps closer in chamber dimensions to the old 314's?

To complicate matters for me, I prefer the newer dimensions on the acrylic stems to the dimensions on the older stems, but generally prefer the older bowl grain presentation and aesthetics...

I'm grateful to have the complications of abundance.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I have a couple Lee medium pear saddle stem 3 stars (same pipe two different stains); two KW 09B’s-one meer lined, other a Thorn; a couple Pete 102’s-they are different stems; two MM Missouri Prides, two Let Freedom Rings…..

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I appreciate people who do this. I'm not so driven to do it myself because I'm such a fickle pipe buyer and minimalist. I think I want to do this, but then I get distracted and go down another road. Get obsessed, but by the time I'm looking to buy the third iteration of the maker/shape, I'm onto something else.

I did see a collection a few years ago of a particular maker and shape that had maybe 12-15 different finishes covered. I found that to be very sharp. It flies in the face of my minimalism, but hey, you gotta recognize something that deserves appreciation.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Calling @npod and his Castello Opera Shape 44 collection
That is an impressive sight to see!!

I’ll just add that a big part of the fun of building brand/shape collection is hunting the perfect addition to that collection. Buying a one off nice pipe is fun but adding that perfect pipe to a focused collection is extremely satisfying.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
So far, my collection consists of all different pipes, but that said, I dearly love my Savinelli 320 KS and I am looking to get another one of those to add to the rotation.

Reactions: dunnyboy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That is an impressive sight to see!!

I’ll just add that a big part of the fun of building brand/shape collection is hunting the perfect addition to that collection. Buying a one off nice pipe is fun but adding that perfect pipe to a focused collection is extremely satisfying.
Impressive indeed !
@npod's dedication to "completing the set" reminds me of myself during my stamp collecting days 😏

Rivalled by Duane's (@Chasing Embers) Savinelli 904 collection and Tim'S (@ashdigger) collection of Petes