PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Because we just can't seem to find balance as a culture. It's everything NOW. The farmers of the world make more than enough food to feed everyone in the planet. No government(s) care enough to figure out how to distribute the excess. So instead of turning the excess chickens into frozen chicken, it's culled. All because people misjudged how many McNuggets would be needed in the fall.
Exactly. It’s the total wrong way to do things.

“Well I planned on being able to sell these hogs right now and I can’t so I’m going to kill them rather than spend any more money on them.”

• Sad
Reactions: anotherbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Because we just can't seem to find balance as a culture. It's everything NOW. The farmers of the world make more than enough food to feed everyone in the planet. No government(s) care enough to figure out how to distribute the excess. So instead of turning the excess chickens into frozen chicken, it's culled. All because people misjudged how many McNuggets would be needed in the fall.
actually even removing meat from the equation they do. However most of the crops... what are they used for? Feeding livestock. So we take up all of this land with fields for food we are going to not feed to people.

The system is totally fucked and people don’t care because “meat taste good”. #caveman

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ever notice its always a meat replacement veggie burger, fish fillet,meatless bratwurst, roast beef...... not just hay veggies are great and i think its healthier than meat. Strang that they keep tring to make veggies into mest look a likes instead of just seasonings
cooking and eating them. Vegans want to secretly eat meat too. Nobody is trying to copy vegan meals and just add a touch of meat.
every group has their ridiculous members. One of those types in the vegan camp insisted there was no way to taste the difference between real meat and the fake meat. Just one of those funny things you run across that makes you wonder how some people have survived in a world with things like glass and rocks that don't have a warning sticker to not eat them.

Reactions: BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Now for different twist, ever noticed how some things suck (to the individual) when hot and others when cold?

Penzance cold sucks.
Penzance hot rocks.
Broccoli and cauliflower cold suck
Broccoli hot cauliflower suck (seriously, who thought cooking these was a good idea??)I
McDonald's fries hot good
McDonald's fries cold horrible. Seriously horrible, completely unidentifiable as having once been organic matter.

The exception that proves the rule: Good pizza hot or cold, doesn't matter, good. Always better hot but still good cold. Bad pizza sucks either way.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
actually even removing meat from the equation they do. However most of the crops... what are they used for? Feeding livestock. So we take up all of this land with fields for food we are going to not feed to people.

The system is totally fucked and people don’t care because “meat taste good”. #caveman
Animals and meat have a vital role in a properly managed small farm system. I'm definitely not approving of the modern factory meat farm system, or monoculture farming either for that matter.

A proper sustainable farming system would be for all farms to be smaller, and have a variety of animal, grain, and vegetable crops that are rotated.

Animals graze, till the soil, and fertilize while producing milk, eggs, and meat in the form of excess male offspring (which need to be separated from the other animals anyway). The dietary validity of milk and meat is an entirely separate argument I won't even get into lol.

The plants produce far greater yields when grown in rotation with animals. When the animals reach the end of their lifespan they are also eaten, instead of rotting and going to waste.

Living on a small farm feeding and caring for the same animals every day you usually have a respectful relationship with the animals as well, and I would consider it disrespectful to just kill an elderly animal and let it rot.

There is more than enough food produced to feed both humans and animals using less than half the current farmland, but the amount of senseless waste in our system and improper management/political restrictions create artificial shortages leading to people and animals going hungry.

When I was young I worked at a couple different grocery stores, and there was enough food being thrown in the garbage crusher every single day to feed the entire homeless population of the city for a month. There were 20 other grocery stores in the same city doing the same thing, and thousands across the country.

Governments in most western countries have also imposed ridiculous restrictions on their people preventing them from producing their own food in sufficient quantities.

I agree with you in part, but I think that there is (or potentially can be) such a thing as ethical meat production, if based on a traditional small mixed farm model, not giant monoculture farming.

Also, have you guys tried beef bacon? It's fantastic.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana

The system certainly needs reevaluation. Feed lots and fertilizer runoff in the Midwest are screwing up our Mississippi Delta, making the waters anoxic. If raising livestock for meat could go back to being a more local endeavor, maybe that would help. I don’t really know enough about it to know what’s feasible or sustainable, but it could probably be better. I’ve hunted my whole life, and I don’t feel guilt in the least for killing an animal for food, but I do feel a responsibility to keep the habitats clean, report poaching, and to never waste an animal. Sounds like some of the bigger meat companies have lost that sense of responsibility. @BROBS, I think it’s great that you stick to what you find is the ethical choice, but understand, I will always give you shit about carrot bacon! ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Animals and meat have a vital role in a properly managed small farm system. I'm definitely not approving of the modern factory meat farm system, or monoculture farming either for that matter.

A proper sustainable farming system would be for all farms to be smaller, and have a variety of animal, grain, and vegetable crops that are rotated.

Animals graze, till the soil, and fertilize while producing milk, eggs, and meat in the form of excess male offspring (which need to be separated from the other animals anyway). The dietary validity of milk and meat is an entirely separate argument I won't even get into lol.

The plants produce far greater yields when grown in rotation with animals. When the animals reach the end of their lifespan they are also eaten, instead of rotting and going to waste.

Living on a small farm feeding and caring for the same animals every day you usually have a respectful relationship with the animals as well, and I would consider it disrespectful to just kill an elderly animal and let it rot.

There is more than enough food produced to feed both humans and animals using less than half the current farmland, but the amount of senseless waste in our system and improper management/political restrictions create artificial shortages leading to people and animals going hungry.

When I was young I worked at a couple different grocery stores, and there was enough food being thrown in the garbage crusher every single day to feed the entire homeless population of the city for a month. There were 20 other grocery stores in the same city doing the same thing, and thousands across the country.

Governments in most western countries have also imposed ridiculous restrictions on their people preventing them from producing their own food in sufficient quantities.

I agree with you in part, but I think that there is (or potentially can be) such a thing as ethical meat production, if based on a traditional small mixed farm model, not giant monoculture farming.

Also, have you guys tried beef bacon? It's fantastic.
Small production on that scale can’t meet demand. Ever.

do you think McDonalds and Burger King are going to close???

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Small production on that scale can’t meet demand. Ever.

do you think McDonalds and Burger King are going to close???
That's only because the demand is wrong. People want to live in a tiny box and get their food mass produced, plastic wrapped, and delivered to their door. It's more work to grow more of your own food at home, but entirely possible. Most people have several hours of free time every day that are wasted on Netflix etc. My buddy Phil farms tilapia in his garage, feeding them mostly kitchen scraps, and produces enough for his family and friends.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

and even if you really have no problem with eating meat, the whole business is disgusting. Including that working in slaughter houses apparently gives lots of people ptsd. Cause it's not like you can keep humanity or compassion in dealing with animals solely as a commodity. Heck I knew a few people who grew up hunting that couldn't eat certain meats after working in one of those places.
Now for different twist, ever noticed how some things suck (to the individual) when hot and others when cold?

Penzance cold sucks.
Penzance hot rocks.
Broccoli and cauliflower cold suck
Broccoli hot cauliflower suck (seriously, who thought cooking these was a good idea??)I
McDonald's fries hot good
McDonald's fries cold horrible. Seriously horrible, completely unidentifiable as having once been organic matter.

The exception that proves the rule: Good pizza hot or cold, doesn't matter, good. Always better hot but still good cold. Bad pizza sucks either way.
heat brings out certain flavor elements. So it makes aspects taste stronger. Like wise cold mutes certain flavor tones.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I do eat a LOT less meat now than when I was younger. I was into the whole weightlifting/bodybuilding thing for a while, eating like 10-12 servings of meat every day. Massive protein farts.

My son has some health conditions and we have been told repeatedly by his RD, pediatrician, and CP doc to feed him lots of red meat, primarily for the highly bioavailable iron, but also because it is nutrient dense (high in micronutrients and vitamins) and a good source of creatine and arachidonic acid.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If going by the Bible it states we have dominion over animals. A King or Queen has dominion over their people. Can they eat their subjects?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do eat a LOT less meat now than when I was younger. I was into the whole weightlifting/bodybuilding thing for a while, eating like 10-12 servings of meat every day. Massive protein farts.

My son has some health conditions and we have been told repeatedly by his RD, pediatrician, and CP doc to feed him lots of red meat, primarily for the highly bioavailable iron, but also because it is nutrient dense (high in micronutrients and vitamins) and a good source of creatine and arachidonic acid.
It also leaches other nutrients and minerals from your body, gives you cholesterols to clog your circulatory system, and damages your stomach and intestines causing cancer. ?

these nutrients are available as vegan vitamins.

One of if not the worlds foremost bodybuilder is a Vegan from Germany. Meat for bodybuilding is a thing of the past.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
It also leaches other nutrients and minerals from your body, gives you cholesterols to clog your circulatory system, and damages your stomach and intestines causing cancer. ?

these nutrients are available as vegan vitamins.

One of if not the worlds foremost bodybuilder is a Vegan from Germany. Meat for bodybuilding is a thing of the past.
No offense, but those claims are a bit outdated. For example, the studies showing a link between red meat and cancer grouped processed meats like bologna and hotdogs together with red meat. More recent research that separates them shows no link between red meat consumption and cancer. Cholesterol is also no where near as bad as was previously thought, as dietary cholesterol has been shown not to raise blood cholesterol levels. High triglyceride levels (which are bad for you) that were previously blamed on cholesterol have been shown to be much closer linked to high blood sugar issues and metabolic syndrome.

A great (very) unbiased overall look at nutrition for the purposes of health can be found in this video:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I paid my way through college working in a processing plant. I have a masters degree in microbiology. I am not uneducated. I raise beef, I hunt, eat elk and other wild game, I love bacon. I am not going to change.
If you don't want to eat meat for what ever reason, great. That's your choice just as mine is mine but don't try and shame me or "educate" me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.