PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I suspect that it'll be hard to find a piece of morta large enough to make one of these.
They are surprisingly small. Around the same size as a round tin. There was a fellow on Etsy making them a few years ago out of exotic woods, including morta. Here's a stock photo for size comparison.

5bd4aa14dfc43caa5513989a708c2a26.jpg

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
That exactly what I have and what I intend to use as the patten. Well the laser head arrived today so I guess we are 5% of the way. I will keep everyone in the loop. I mean, its nice to have hobbies during this period of national inactivity.
Looking forward to see what you come up with :)

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This post has been a strange experience. Like hawky', I had no idea what a baccy flap is. More strangely, I believe I've seen these out of a piping context and not known what they were, like at an antique shop or yard sale. Since I don't do much if any pipe smoking out and about, I don't think I'd use this, but it is certainly something I should know about after all these years. It is a beautiful object, very appealing, tobacco aside. I sure wouldn't want it in my hip pocket, worse than a fat wallet it would seem. My wallet is fat from old shopping lists and half-empty postage stamp folders, not cash so much.

Reactions: docpierce and BROBS

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
I would love to have one made of quality plastic.

Of course I prefer a wooden one, but for a limited production for more than 20 pieces I believe it will be a very hard task and also very variable.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well the C&C machine arrived yesterday and does amazing things. My tech chap 'Odd Ball' is completely enamored by the thing and the Three D printer will show up today. You know with the laser engraving head you could do all sorts of interesting things. I will keep everyone in the loop with our progress!

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well the C&C machine arrived yesterday and does amazing things. My tech chap 'Odd Ball' is completely enamored by the thing and the Three D printer will show up today. You know with the laser engraving head you could do all sorts of interesting things. I will keep everyone in the loop with our progress!
Super cool - do you think you'd be able to take a quick video of the machine doing its thing?
Either way thanks for all you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.