Are You More a "Pipe Guy" or A "Tobacco Guy"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The more pictures I take the more enamored I am of the briar, started out smoking cobs and a Rossi bent billiard, until I realized the beauty in the briar. If I had no pipes I would not bother with tobacco. I very much enjoy seeking the subtle tastes of different blends but find myself less motivated to pack a bowl if I am not feeling the briar that day. I think I am around 70/30. I understand the economics of where to invest and have a threshold for $ spent on pipes vs tobacco. But, I find myself more excited when a new pipe comes in vs a new tin of tobacco, there's a more tangible history and story.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
My current spends on each says I’m definitely a pipe guy. Although i have spent time finding tobaccos I like I haven’t cellared deep yet at all (though I’m slowly working on it)

I smoke a couple/three bowls a days though so I think the balance will definitely tip itself expenditure wise in the future.

There’s something about pipes as art and as objects that draws me to them. Quite pleased I don’t have to choose and can thoroughly scratch either itch when I can.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Tobacco guy. Pipes are nice and I enjoy smoking with them because for some reason I don’t smell as bad as smoking a cigar or cigarette. Plus, many pipe blends are more positive on the odor spectrum for most people than the alternatives - although, I will argue that a good cigar is hard to top with the room note it can leave. But, end of day - I love good tobacco more than I would love any pipe. Good tobacco just has good qualities to it and very relaxing all the way around.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Zepfan84

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
I'm 100% a tobacco guy. Mainly smoke cigars, pipes second. Tried dip and hookah, not my thing but I still apricate that others enjoy tobacco this way.

Reactions: Zepfan84

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
I like cigars a lot, but I love pipes and pipe tobacco. Because it's not just as simple as you get a pipe and a pouch or tin and go at it, is it? I love working out the downright alchemical mysteries of finding the right pipes for certain tobaccos. That being said, I have a fairly modest pipe collection nearing 20 pipes, while my varieties of tobaccos grows much faster than my variety of pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
At this point of my life I would have to say I am a pipe guy. I said I was 50/50 but since my cellar is complete, I only buy pipes. The only pipes I buy are artisan made and the last 12 pipes have been made by Jack Howell. I am not sure how many more I will buy but since I have unloaded around 40 pipes and I plan on moving another 10-20, I can say I am a pipe guy. Once I am done buying pipes, I can say I am a tobacco guy.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

1allspub

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Sun City, AZ
More of a pipe guy. The form and function of an aesthetically pleasing pipe appeal strongly to me. I enjoy the tobacco too, obviously... but if pipes were just ugly utilitarian devices for consuming tobacco, I’d just skip them altogether and stick with cigars only (which I also smoke).

C

carolinasmokes

I would have to say I'm neither of the two as I do not regularly purchase pipes to build a collection or tobacco to cellar for a lifetime. I do however have a small stockpile of fresh cobs and a few tubs of Carter Hall on hand and replenish them as needed. If I need a few cobs or a tub of Carter Hall they are all local to me, I keep it simple and hassle free so I can enjoy pipe smoking without the stress and expense that comes with a hobby, I smoke for pleasure and enjoyment.

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
Definitely a tobacco guy. I have quite a few pipes and enjoy them, but also enjoy other forms of tobacco. At times in my life when pipes were not convenient I smoked cigars.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
I consider myself neither. I am happy with 2 or 3 good pipes and 2 or 3 good tobaccos. I will happily smoke the same blend in the same pipe for weeks at a time.

I am quite particular about my tobacco though. In fact I have no interest in the majority of blends. I like a strong no-bullshit tobacco.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
it's really not hard to stock up on those things. Those stupid disposables I'd use two per shave because they'd stop working half way through. Feather razor blades give me seven great shaves and several more o.k. shaves. And if you wait for sales you can spend fifty bucks and have razors and soap for your grandchildren too.
We're off topic but there's something to chime in to. Don't look at my picture, the beard's gone for almost a year now. A friend who's also a pipe smoker chewed my ears off to try shaving with a safety razor after I mentioned I was getting bad irritation around the neck and Adam's apple. I thought it's somewhat of a meme, pipe smoking and "old school" shaving, so I ignored it for a bit and then on a whim bought a bog standard Wilkinson and some blades from the supermarket.

Fast forward 6 months, I now got a Razorock SLOC, 200 feather blades and 5 bars of the soap @chasingembers noted. Getting great shaves every time, close and no irritation. Also as you say, after the initial investment the whole thing is dirt cheap. Having said that, there's a whole subculture associated with wet shaving, a rabbit hole likely as deep as pipe smoking or any other hobby (sorry chassing!) if you get hooked up on trying soaps, preshaves, oils, blades, brushes etc etc but (famous last words), I doubt I'll fall into it.