Are You More a "Pipe Guy" or A "Tobacco Guy"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Hmm... What an interesting question and what great answers. I guess we'll all be somewhere along the % continuum of being pipe guys or tobacco guys (or vitamin N guys!)

I love a nice pipe, but more than the looks I LOVE a good stem. Does that make me a stem guy?

And tobacco-wise, I am picky about flavor but do not smoke a lot. What does that make me there? ... ?

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’m an even 50-50 split. Love my pipes... but what good are they without tobacco? While I love tobacco, but only like to consume it in a pipe (not a cigarette guy, no cigars, no vaping etc).

Reactions: OzPiper

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I'm a tobacco guy. I take bad care of my pipes, and am gravitating more toward cobs so that I can abuse them and then discard them! I quickly accumulated too many tins of tobacco, and now I've pretty much settled on a few tobaccos and blends, and there I'm gravitating toward bulk. I guess this makes me more of a smoke guy really.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Tobacco for me. I think a cheap cob can smoke a quality tobacco just as fine as a expensive pipe, though this a assumption. Strangely I have spend in euros more on pipes in my short pipe journey than on tobacco, I could just smoke my cobs, but decided on buying a meerschaum and a neerup in my first month.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am 50/50. I love my artisan pipes along with all the special blends I have aged. I have plenty of tobacco and only buy certain aged tins with 15 plus years of age on them. I have recently changed my pipe collection to make sure all my pipes are artisan made and all are great smokers. I recently sent off 40 plus pipes to be sold and I have another 10 or so that are also going to be sold next year. My goal is to have maybe 50 pipes in total and none will be factory made accept one 1966 Dunhill LB.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Tobacco, by far. I only have two pipes, one for aros, one for everything else. Not one iota of PAD on my end. TAD...that's a different story altogether! The urge to cellar while it's still feasible is overwhelming, though I'm trying my best to not overspend. Whether or not I am succeeding depends on who you ask.

To the OP: good question to ask! Lots of variety, all over the spectrum. I wish I could stick around and read more responses, but I think P&C is having a sale on something...

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
100% tobacco guy. My nicest pipe is a $100 sav. Pipes are just tools to me, although I do appreciate the aesthetics of fine pipes.

I guess it’s because I know a 5 dollar cob smokes great, I don’t feel bad if I loose it...but if I loose an aged tin of Old Gowrie, I’m gonna cry. Also the endless blends to try...

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm definitely a tobacco guy, and for me that means that's what I've spent the most time thinking about, reading about, learning about, spending $$ on since I started smoking a pipe. My guess would be a solid 80/20 split. Consequently, I don't really know all that much about the artisan pipe world, who the best makers are, the up and comers, etc. (beyond a relatively superficial knowledge).

This is starting to change a little bit, but only because I've largely met my cellar goals, and therefore my pipe smoking budget is less strictly devoted to tobacco acquisition. For example, I'm spending a bit more time perusing Al Pascia than I do on tobaccoreviews.

Last edited:

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
I believe that it oscillates, maybe due to some conjunction of an unknown planet with earth, but it is always either/or. Smoking sub-standard leaf in a beautiful, curvy work of art, seems ill advised at best. No, the hunt for the perfect specimen seems to drive most I know, whether that be rare, exquisite leaf of some bygone era or a pipe carved out of unicorn horn, few would be satisfied with less. Onwards and upwards gentlemen!