Are You More a "Pipe Guy" or A "Tobacco Guy"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Without tobacco, you can use a pipe to blow bubbles, hold paper against the wind, or display it as a trophy.
You can also use it to point at stuff during a lecture you're giving. Or tap it pensively.

I'm kind of neither or both at this point. I've only recently started smoking a pipe, about a year ago. So I'm still learning cadence and drying while picking up a pipe here and a couple tins there.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A nice range of responses as would be expected in a forum.
I love my pipes and enjoy "the quickening of the pulse" when one comes along that "rings my bell"
I also love having new blends to try. What I find very enjoyable still is deciding on which tobacco to smoke and which pipe(s) I'll use on the day.
Along with what I'll drink while I'm smoking.
I only smoke on the weekends or when I'm having a day off, so I really want to maximise each experience. A smoke for me is not "something to do" but something to which conscious thought is given.
Sorry for the long-winded response. Put me in the 50:50 camp ?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Lots of great replies. If you like, read Python's in a response he wrote in an article in 2011.

I quit three years ago but if I still smoked I would probably pickup from where I left off, 70% pipe and 30% tobacco. I have become fascinated with and addicted to pipes, but that only so long as I had DF in the bowl.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
You can also use it to point at stuff during a lecture you're giving. Or tap it pensively.
This is true. Pipes are wonderful gesturing tools. I’ve used them as props while storytelling (“and this is how the Edmund Fitzgerald split apart!” while separating the pipe and stem) and to point aggressively at the kids on my lawn, making sure they knew precisely what direction I’d like them to fuck off to.

Another point, I find when I see a picture of a pipe, I think “hmm, nice pipe”. Yet show me a picture of someone’s well stocked cellar, and the beast of jealousy rears it’s head and I salivate.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can appreciate your preferences, but lots of tobaccos is like the men who have a stock pile of shaving soaps in the shave forums.

Just to disagree respectfully, anyone using a pipe to smoke tobacco is a pipe smoker, IMHO.
hey nothing wrong with knowing you won't have to buy shaving soap for at least another couple years.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and python

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Started as a cigar smoker but inherited my grandfather's pipes and the rest is history. I did have to adjust to the fact that most pipe tobaccos (that i've encountered) are mild when compared to cigars. I'm still working out nuances and retrohaling to find the myriad and depth of flavors pipe blends claim to have. Wondering if that experience is unique to myself or perhaps others have found this to be the case as well?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I get more enjoyment out of the tobacco part of the equation. Whether it’s enjoying an old favorite or trying new, or new to me, blends I find a broader range of experiences than I get from the pipes.

In the past I’ve dabbled in pipe collecting but that itch has stayed scratched for quite a while. I now have an adequate variety of pipes to keep me satisfied.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
Tobacco. At the end of the day, if need be, I could build a suitable pipe out of all kinds of stuff. I’d have a hell of a lot more trouble trying to produce my own Perique

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I tend to find the pipe more interesting, shape, fit, finish, colour, stem materials, how they differ in their interaction with different tobaccos. They are neat little bits of wood and plastic for sure.

Reactions: OzPiper
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Started as a cigar smoker but inherited my grandfather's pipes and the rest is history. I did have to adjust to the fact that most pipe tobaccos (that i've encountered) are mild when compared to cigars. I'm still working out nuances and retrohaling to find the myriad and depth of flavors pipe blends claim to have. Wondering if that experience is unique to myself or perhaps others have found this to be the case as well?
I came from cigars to pipes as well. Initially just because the tobacco is so much less expensive, but I became enamored with the huge diversity of tastes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Reminds me of the saying, “a man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure”. ?
I don't have a watch I keep meaning to get one. Since they're pretty damn useful. Though while I have a stock of shaving soap it's one type. Proraso red which just is one of the few that gives me a comfortable shave, why because the most manly thing about me is my ability to grow a stupid beard. Seriously would take less then a year to get a zztop beard. Takes one month before people start asking how long did it take to grow that thing and then look at me like I am full of it when I say a month. Honestly one of my friends put it really well. If I was the only man you knew you'd think it was called five o'clock shadow because that's how long it takes from a morning shave before I have it. Now aftershaves that could be troublesome but I keep that simple, how sexy do I want to smell? How's that for things you never wanted to know?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith