Are You More a "Pipe Guy" or A "Tobacco Guy"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll likely never have to buy shaving soap or blades ever again.
it's really not hard to stock up on those things. Those stupid disposables I'd use two per shave because they'd stop working half way through. Feather razor blades give me seven great shaves and several more o.k. shaves. And if you wait for sales you can spend fifty bucks and have razors and soap for your grandchildren too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap here.

I just use rose water witch hazel.
never tried the wool fat soap. And rose water and witch hazel sounds solid. I find though there is just something about bay rum that works really well for me. Then again I like compliments from the ladies but rose water is always great and witch hazel is a proper antiseptic.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
  • Love
Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Feathers work great in my Merkur 11C.? I've got a 200 year old G. Johnson straight razor that puts most razors I've tried to shame.

It's great if you have dry skin.

Clubman makes a great one.
Yeah Merkur with feather blades is how I shave. Don't laugh too much but I don't have a straight razor it's just not worth trigger the girlfriends neurosis.
Dry skin I got the opposite issue. So basically I should avoid the stuff.
I've never though of getting any clubman things after being somewhat disappointed with their mustache wax. There is nothing quite like a floppy handlebar.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't have a watch I keep meaning to get one. Since they're pretty damn useful. Though while I have a stock of shaving soap it's one type. Proraso red which just is one of the few that gives me a comfortable shave, why because the most manly thing about me is my ability to grow a stupid beard. Seriously would take less then a year to get a zztop beard. Takes one month before people start asking how long did it take to grow that thing and then look at me like I am full of it when I say a month. Honestly one of my friends put it really well. If I was the only man you knew you'd think it was called five o'clock shadow because that's how long it takes from a morning shave before I have it. Now aftershaves that could be troublesome but I keep that simple, how sexy do I want to smell? How's that for things you never wanted to know?
I hear you, man. Mine grows stupid fast, too. And my whiskers are coarse. I avoid razors when I can nowadays. I just cut mine with my Wahl’s clippers with no guard if I want to de-beard, leaving really short stubble. The irritation is just so bad with a razor. I’ve tried everything from straight razors to the stupid cartridges with half a dozen blades. The cheap plastic disposable razors are a friggin horror show. If I do shave, I have to do it in a hot shower, with a fresh cartridge razor, and it’s only good for one or two shaves.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm both but definitely lean towards tobacco. I'd rather smoke great tobacco in a mediocre pipe than bad tobacco in the greatest pipe. The pipe is the vehicle and the tobacco is the fuel. If I had to make a trip, I'd rather have a Yugo with a full tank of gas vs a BMW with an empty tank. I'm fortunate that I don't have to compromise either the pipes or tobacco. Both are best.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I hear you, man. Mine grows stupid fast, too. And my whiskers are coarse. I avoid razors when I can nowadays. I just cut mine with my Wahl’s clippers with no guard if I want to de-beard, leaving really short stubble. The irritation is just so bad with a razor. I’ve tried everything from straight razors to the stupid cartridges with half a dozen blades. The cheap plastic disposable razors are a friggin horror show. If I do shave, I have to do it in a hot shower, with a fresh cartridge razor, and it’s only good for one or two shaves.
the only thing that's worked for me is a safety razor. And the right soap. I am actually shocked by how much of a difference the right soap makes. The Proraso THIS stuff. Yeah those disposables are a nightmare. It took me a couple of years using those to get it through my head I don't hate shaving.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Pipe is a tool...tobacco the feature. I liken the pipe to a fork and the tobacco to the meal.

Nearly all my pipes were selected and gifted to me by my wife, and she seems to pick winners. I generally select the tobacco, although with every order, she'll add a tin of something I've never had before as a surprise, again, she's picked a lot of winners.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I don't have a watch I keep meaning to get one. Since they're pretty damn useful. Though while I have a stock of shaving soap it's one type. Proraso red which just is one of the few that gives me a comfortable shave, why because the most manly thing about me is my ability to grow a stupid beard. Seriously would take less then a year to get a zztop beard. Takes one month before people start asking how long did it take to grow that thing and then look at me like I am full of it when I say a month. Honestly one of my friends put it really well. If I was the only man you knew you'd think it was called five o'clock shadow because that's how long it takes from a morning shave before I have it. Now aftershaves that could be troublesome but I keep that simple, how sexy do I want to smell? How's that for things you never wanted to know?
You need a MMOC with a coated blade and Green Proastro.....lol!

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I'd definitely say tobacco. It's like choosing between food or dishes. Great tobacco is what inspired people to make great pipes. I can enjoy great tobacco in a chunk of corn cob with a piece of reed. Lots of things can be improvised to make a pipe. Nothing can substitute tobacco for smoking. Nicotine is one experience. Smoking tobacco is a whole other. I do love nice pipes, but tobacco is the reason.

Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
the only thing that's worked for me is a safety razor. And the right soap. I am actually shocked by how much of a difference the right soap makes. The Proraso THIS stuff. Yeah those disposables are a nightmare. It took me a couple of years using those to get it through my head I don't hate shaving.
I’ve used single, double, and straight razors. All work, but some are more trouble

Reactions: JOHN72