Are You More a "Pipe Guy" or A "Tobacco Guy"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I started out a pipe guy, but after acquiring 155 pipes I switched to a tobacco guy and have stayed there for the last several years. I'm now at the point where I don't buy either. My wife told me to buy a pipe or some tobacco for my birthday. I turned her down and bought her a new mattress and box spring to help with her back.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Definitely a tobacco guy. I have a few nicer (≈$130) Savinellis, but they don't get used as much.

I like many different forms of tobacco, so that's what brought me to pipe smoking.

Reactions: JOHN72 and OzPiper

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Probably a bit more on the tobacco side, as I have enough pipes (until I see one I hafta have!)
so very true. At this juncture and age (66), I focus more on the cellar than the instrument. Although, I find two things of late: 1. I tend to smoke 6 or so pipes to the exclusion of other, even more expensive pipes. In my case, I have developed a penchant for Radice compact billiards with the Ebonite stem and frequently just rotate through them rather than smoke some of my Castello 55s and 10s which have thicker acrylic stems. and 2. While I have resolved that my pipe buying days ought to be over, every once in a while a pipe comes along which really tests my resolve. Most recently it was (of all makers) a white spot nosewarmer billiard which is probably too short even for my taste but still intrigues me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say both, but in fact I have lots of pipes and just a modest stash of tobacco, about fifty tins/jars/pouches, so i guess this makes me a pipe guy. Even with the pipes, comparatively, I'm not huge accumulatively, below one hundred. I cull ever five or six years.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd say both, but in fact I have lots of pipes and just a modest stash of tobacco, about fifty tins/jars/pouches, so i guess this makes me a pipe guy. Even with the pipes, comparatively, I'm not huge accumulatively, below one hundred. I cull ever five or six years.

Only on here could having under 100 pipes not seem excessive!

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I’d say I’m more of a tobacco guy and smoker. I’ve always enjoyed smoking and I ever since watching people roll cigars I became interested in the process that brought tobacco to a form I could easily enjoy it in. Cigars are great but since taking to a pipe I get more flavor and enjoyment from my tobacco which led me to wanting to try many different blends so I’ve been buying lots of samples and bulking up on what I like. I guess that makes me more of a tobacco guy then a smoking guy at this time. My pipe collection is to small to even consider me a pipe guy lol.