PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I liked the 60s and 70s more. Although I was born in '72.
I was grabbing a lot of tit in ‘72…. Son?
$4.50?! When I started smoking they were under 2 bucks in the early 90s
They were 75 cents a pack in ‘83 when I quit the disgusting things.

These are the sorts of facts that define generations.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
How do you figure? Attitude? Outlook? Personal choice?

'Cause you're way outside the range of those born immediately after WW II.

It’s much deeper than that. A personal connection with the moniker, if you will. I embody the title. In fact, most people I know would willingly state that I’m a Boomer and that they know me as nothing else. I try not to let chronology get in the way of things like this.

Plus, on the tectonic timescale, anyone born after WWII is born immediately after WWII, so it boils down to semantics.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Well, Unfortunately, I am a Millenial(29) and I smoke both Cigars and Pipes. About 7-10 years back, a lot of hipsters were smoking pipes, most of whom are Millennials, then they switched to those vape pen things. They are the main reason why I put my pipes away until quite recently. Been smoking Cigars since I was 18, never stopped, pipes started around 19, stopped around 23 then picked up again last year.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Everyone wants to be a boomer...lol!
Well, for many people, in many parts of the world it was quite a golden age.

If you were white, male and straight in the US these years were probably the best anyone ever had it, ever.

I mean even looking at my parents, born in '49 (dad) and '52 (mother), leaving aside the fact Greece had a dictatorship 1967-1974, they had it great. Everything was dirt cheap, it didn't matter if you were borderline illiterate or university-educated (both mine are), there were more jobs than people to do them, and they were well-paid.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Well, for many people, in many parts of the world it was quite a golden age.

If you were white, male and straight in the US these years were probably the best anyone ever had it, ever.

I mean even looking at my parents, born in '49 (dad) and '52 (mother), leaving aside the fact Greece had a dictatorship 1967-1974, they had it great. Everything was dirt cheap, it didn't matter if you were borderline illiterate or university-educated (both mine are), there were more jobs than people to do them, and they were well-paid.
We’ll stated. My post was meant to be sarcastic.

I just don’t like generation bashing.

My children and grandchildren are just wonderful.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
It always feels weird to me being a millenial when I was a kid they said I was the tale end of Gen X having been born in 81. Then as a adult they started saying millenials so I dont know anymore what generation I am a part of.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I got a reply from him that I imagine is a familiar story: He inherited (for lack of a better word) his grandfather's one pipe, bought what he thought was good tobacco, tried it a few times, but it didn't take. I imagine some combo of the usual problems -- not a good pipe, not good tobacco and maybe expecting it to be like a cigar -- came into play.

I appreciate the generational discussion, too. Seems like pipes may have had a moment among Millennials, and probably with some it stuck -- as is always the way.
Probably, not a good smoker. But it's all good. More tobacco for the rest.

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It always feels weird to me being a millenial when I was a kid they said I was the tale end of Gen X having been born in 81. Then as a adult they started saying millenials so I dont know anymore what generation I am a part of.
For something resembling authoritative info/research on the generational boundaries, these are worth looking at:

And apparently boomers are the only group "officially" defined by the census bureau...so the others may yet be revised further I suppose:

Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For something resembling authoritative info/research on the generational boundaries, these are worth looking at:

And apparently boomers are the only group "officially" defined by the census bureau...so the others may yet be revised further I suppose:

Well, those first two don't agree between themselves either. ?

I reckon it's not just the (not so) clear cut timeline, but an attitudinal issue as well. Some might throw me in the millennials category based on their years table but I see millennials and how they are and I know I don't fit in that category at all (thank God).

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, those first two don't agree between themselves either. ?
Yeah, that's one reason I included both of them...different perspectives, yet at least based on some amount of research.

I reckon it's not just the (not so) clear cut timeline, but an attitudinal issue as well. Some might throw me in the millennials category based on their years table but I see millennials and how they are and I know I don't fit in that category at all (thank God).
There will always be the individual identity vs the group. Just as you say, "I see millennials and how they are", you're making an observation based a perception of the group identity, but no doubt there are many within that range like yourself that don't really identify with it.

Reactions: BROBS and olkofri