PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I grow both my avocados and tobacco, coincidentally next to each other too. I vote semois as the best thing to match with smashed avo on toast.

I’m 31 and pretty much all of my friends who are my age smoke pipes. Some daily, others only occasionally. In fact i think I only have one mate who doesn’t smoke in any form and that’s cos he is a professional trombone player. Needless to say he can drink the rest of us under the table
I keep telling you "them hobbits are a baaaad influence on the young-uns" ?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I turn 32 this August, and I started smoking a pipe when I was 29. I think I’m a millennial? I was born in ‘89. Anyway... I certainly don’t think pipes and cigars are popular amongst 99.999% of folks my age. It’s either an old man thing, or it’s done ironically by douche bags who just want to look a certain type of way. Folks that actually enjoy this as a hobby or passion and have some knowledge of pipes and tobacco are very few and far between amongst the general population. I’ve notice millennial hot shot wannabes that are really deep into “hustle culture” and think they’re going to be the next big thing seem to enjoy smoking cigars on Instagram with champagne they can’t afford. But pipes... not so much.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Had to look up Hustle Culture, I’ve not heard the term used... Stop Idolizing Hustle Culture And Do This Instead - https://www.forbes.com/sites/celinnedacosta/2019/04/28/stop-idolizing-hustle-culture-and-do-this-instead/?sh=203e560e33cb
this article came up... nice read and one of the reasons I smoke a pipe or small cigar most evenings. Mental time out.

She, the author, verbalized a thought I’ve had for a while with this:
We are not like the machines we’ve built, and evolution is going to take a while (a few thousands of years, at least) to catch up our biological bodies with the hyper-connected, lighting-speed, automated digital environment that we’ve created. At the end of the day, we are human, which means we need to eat, pee, sleep, connect, and find fulfillment and meaning in our life.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I got a reply from him that I imagine is a familiar story: He inherited (for lack of a better word) his grandfather's one pipe, bought what he thought was good tobacco, tried it a few times, but it didn't take. I imagine some combo of the usual problems -- not a good pipe, not good tobacco and maybe expecting it to be like a cigar -- came into play.

I appreciate the generational discussion, too. Seems like pipes may have had a moment among Millennials, and probably with some it stuck -- as is always the way.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My local Tinder Box said that they have been having young people come in asking how to start pipe smoking. Something that they said didn’t really happen before. So there’s that.

One thing I noticed was that when I was in college, about 10 years ago, most people at parties smoked. The guys, the girls, it didn’t matter. The popular, good looking girls almost all smoked cigarettes. Even at Coachella 2015, where all sorts of young model girls, and wannabe models, flock to, it seemed like those girls were all smoking cigarettes. I was, and the girls I was with were too. It could have something to do with the heavy cocaine use there, but still, there was heavy cigarette smoking because it was trendy and “cool.” People would smoke in the crowds, wherever. And no one was bugged by the smoke.

Now, I no longer go to music festivals, but I would imagine it’s still quite common. But one thing I’ve noticed is that vaping really took over. Whereas the young “cool” kids all smoked cigarettes just a few years ago, many of them now vape, probably because the new generation coming up sees their peers vaping rather than smoking cigarettes.

The distinction I would make is that Millennials smoked cigarettes, and now Gen Z vapes (but much of Gen Z doesn’t even vape, probably due to heavy anti-smoking campaigns in the public schools). It could also have to do with tax increases on tobacco. Cigarette smoking was rebellious for my generation, and I used to get packs of Marlboro Reds for $4.50 here in SoCal, but now it’s just too cost prohibitive for many young kids; plus the raising of the smoking age to 21 nationwide.
$4.50?! When I started smoking they were under 2 bucks in the early 90s

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
So, I'm right on the dividing line for Gen X/millennial, and started smoking a pipe a few years ago. I was until very recently a fairly heavy cigarette smoker, and an occasional user of smoke free tobacco (mostly snus but occasionally I'd get a hankering for a big ole pinch of Red Man.) I don't know anyone my age that smokes a pipe, and more to that, anytime I smoke a pipe around my peers they think it's some weird affectation or something. Most of them smoke cigarettes and the occasional cigar, which to be honest, is part of some weird adult cosplay thing they do when wearing collared shirts at weddings.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Based on what f4rm3r said about “off on for 10 years” I think young people have trouble with commitment or fear of being boxed into habitual behavior. It’s a plus but they seem to be burdened by a form of lethargy or fatigue due to too many options and anxieties of 21st century. Almost a fear of life which causes shock and inability to act at all. They’ll buy a bottle of whiskey drink 2 shots, it’ll sit there for years and then they throw it out just to buy a new bottle which literally gets the same treatment, and waste of cash like it’s meaningless. Though I wouldn’t call it laziness; a lot of older people call young people of today lazy.