PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Take him to a pipe club meeting. People, and in particular the young, learn by attraction rather than induction. Seeing a pipe employed as part of a group dynamic where he can potentially develop bonds of camaraderie will go further toward sowing the seeds if interest than even the best pipe and tobacco to an inexperienced smoker unfamiliar with how to employ or appreciate them.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
34, and none of my friends smoke a tobacco pipe at least.., more so they have started doing RYO to maximise their habit against the tax machine down under.
I've always enjoyed the aroma of tobacco growing up, dad was a Benson and Hedges smoker, my friends all smoked cigarettes whilst I smoked cigars here and there and stunk the place up.
Progressed to pipes from cigars because why the hell not, wonder what that's like etc..
Wasn't for looks or anything like that, if anything I'm subconscious of looking like a hipster/poser smoking my pipe in public, purely because cigarettes are the be all, end all down here (Aus).
I suppose even though I'm a 'millennial' I still grew up with that sort of social smoking culture and influence in the 90's anyway, I know there's no chance my kids will want to smoke as their school/teachers have already drummed it into their heads the evils of tobacco.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Who cares if your new, that's something i could use ?
Who cares if your new, that's something i could use ?
I think VaPers are the best with Avocado toast. The peppery, plummy spice really pops off the creaminess of the avocado. Unless the bread has caraway, then a Balkan is more apropos. (I just made that up, BTW. I'm a Gen X'er).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Take him to a pipe club meeting. People, and in particular the young, learn by attraction rather than induction. Seeing a pipe employed as part of a group dynamic where he can potentially develop bonds of camaraderie will go further toward sowing the seeds if interest than even the best pipe and tobacco to an inexperienced smoker unfamiliar with how to employ or appreciate them.
Might want to take that individual to number of different clubs. One might not meet the young 'un's expectation.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I hate that term, or rather I hate the generation it's attached to and how we've ruined it. Yeah, I watched Blackfish, who gives a crap? That one Orca tried for 14 minutes to drown that guy. They're fine. I hate sorting my garbage and I'm mad that they legalized the pot. We could have been the generation with Marty McFly hoverboards and we wasted it on iPhones, kale chips and banning straws to curb turtle cocaine use. We're a bunch of losers, your nephew will probably love Lane 1Q.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
I think VaPers are the best with Avocado toast. The peppery, plummy spice really pops off the creaminess of the avocado. Unless the bread has caraway, then a Balkan is more apropos. (I just made that up, BTW. I'm a Gen X'er).
Who am I kidding, I can't afford avocado and pipe tobacco at the same time in today's world anyways???

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The progression from cigar to pipe isn't as easy as one thinks. I started on pipes, but I watch friends struggle to keep a pipe lit if they never smoked one. You have to want to smoke a pipe to actually follow through learning how to do it. Perseverance, this isn't a word the younger generation likes to embrace as being emblematic of who they are.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Certainly a lot of newer pipers, just look at how often a response pops up on this and other forums “Wish I had smoked a pipe before McClelland ended”.
As to their age group? Who can say, but just perusing YTPC vids, there are quite a few. I also suspect they are fueling the “limited edition” fad of tobacco’s. (*Seems there’s a new “limited edition” run of tobacco every other month.... C&D Red Flake, Samsarra, MacBaren Latakia Rolls, Vanilla roll kake.etc)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Certainly a lot of newer pipers, just look at how often a response pops up on this and other forums “Wish I had smoked a pipe before McClelland ended”.
As to their age group? Who can say, but just perusing YTPC vids, there are quite a few. I also suspect they are fueling the “limited edition” fad of tobacco’s. (*Seems there’s a new “limited edition” run of tobacco every other month.... C&D Red Flake, Samsarra, MacBaren Latakia Rolls, Vanilla roll kake.etc)
Maybe they are buying them thinking they can turn it into quick profit.. Like beanie babies x)

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
My local Tinder Box said that they have been having young people come in asking how to start pipe smoking. Something that they said didn’t really happen before. So there’s that.

One thing I noticed was that when I was in college, about 10 years ago, most people at parties smoked. The guys, the girls, it didn’t matter. The popular, good looking girls almost all smoked cigarettes. Even at Coachella 2015, where all sorts of young model girls, and wannabe models, flock to, it seemed like those girls were all smoking cigarettes. I was, and the girls I was with were too. It could have something to do with the heavy cocaine use there, but still, there was heavy cigarette smoking because it was trendy and “cool.” People would smoke in the crowds, wherever. And no one was bugged by the smoke.

Now, I no longer go to music festivals, but I would imagine it’s still quite common. But one thing I’ve noticed is that vaping really took over. Whereas the young “cool” kids all smoked cigarettes just a few years ago, many of them now vape, probably because the new generation coming up sees their peers vaping rather than smoking cigarettes.

The distinction I would make is that Millennials smoked cigarettes, and now Gen Z vapes (but much of Gen Z doesn’t even vape, probably due to heavy anti-smoking campaigns in the public schools). It could also have to do with tax increases on tobacco. Cigarette smoking was rebellious for my generation, and I used to get packs of Marlboro Reds for $4.50 here in SoCal, but now it’s just too cost prohibitive for many young kids; plus the raising of the smoking age to 21 nationwide.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Who am I kidding, I can't afford avocado and pipe tobacco at the same time in today's world anyways???
I grow both my avocados and tobacco, coincidentally next to each other too. I vote semois as the best thing to match with smashed avo on toast.

I’m 31 and pretty much all of my friends who are my age smoke pipes. Some daily, others only occasionally. In fact i think I only have one mate who doesn’t smoke in any form and that’s cos he is a professional trombone player. Needless to say he can drink the rest of us under the table

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
I can't get my head around vaping, you want nicotine why not chew the gum instead of taking in God knows what vapour that shit is just because it tastes like fucking strawberry or whatever.
If you like nicotine, smoke tobacco because we are all gonna die anyway, may as well enjoy ourselves instead of getting to our death bed's (hopefully) and thinking about all the enjoyment we denied ourselves only to have some nurse wipe our arse's for us.

Rant over ?