6 Fresh Radice Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Heh, whilst I'm not a young adult, I did want to start sooner, but living in a rental property, with no smoking rules, and whatnot, I was putting pipes and cigars off till I could move out and into my own place. Eventually, I realised "my own place" was just not gonna happen, so I just bit the vulcanite stem and started smoking a pipe, with cigars following about half a year later.

I'd love to have at least one bowl per day, but, since I'm still in said rental property I'm one of those having a bowl or two per week. Sometimes it's not so much a ceremonial thing but more of outside constrains.

I'm going to have to figure out that rental thing, at least for awhile. We're renting here in Indiana for a couple of months before we go back to Florida. Our house listed on Friday, had 8 showings already and 3 offers, two well over what we listed at. Not trying to jinx myself, but assuming it moves forward according to plan, we will be moving into single story condo type rental July 15. It has a back patio, the rules say no smoking with 10 feet of the structure. I'll be testing that, hope the neighbors on each side aren't anti smoking Nazis. If so, I may be going back to Florida sooner than planned.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm going to have to figure out that rental thing, at least for awhile. We're renting here in Indiana for a couple of months before we go back to Florida. Our house listed on Friday, had 8 showings already and 3 offers, two well over what we listed at. Not trying to jinx myself, but assuming it moves forward according to plan, we will be moving into single story condo type rental July 15. It has a back patio, the rules say no smoking with 10 feet of the structure. I'll be testing that, hope the neighbors on each side aren't anti smoking Nazis. If so, I may be going back to Florida sooner than planned.
Good luck with that.

Sometimes, with rentals and intensified living, some tenants might not care or be tolerant, specially if it's nice smelling smoke such as the one that comes from pipes; what causes the issue is tenant X seeing you smoking a pipe and then thinking it's open season to smoke whatever, and whatever ends up being cigarettes (which many consider unbearably stinky) or worse, pot: which will make some other tenants go up in arms and start assailing the property manager.

Guess you'll get to see what happens.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Good luck with that.

Sometimes, with rentals and intensified living, some tenants might not care or be tolerant, specially if it's nice smelling smoke such as the one that comes from pipes; what causes the issue is tenant X seeing you smoking a pipe and then thinking it's open season to smoke whatever, and whatever ends up being cigarettes (which many consider unbearably stinky) or worse, pot: which will make some other tenants go up in arms and start assailing the property manager.

Guess you'll get to see what happens.
Keep in mind, this is Indiana, not New York. There is nobody behind me, only people on each side of me. These are fairly large condo/apartment units that are single story. Of course, if the neighbors on either side of me are anti smoking Nazis, I have a problem. If that happens though, I'll probably just smoke in the 2 car garage with the door 1/3 open. If I have to forfeit the damage deposit, so be it.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Man, hearing, "Okay, Boomer" must be like nails on a chalkboard.?
It certainly is, especially when coming from someone who's a good 10 years younger and can barely put a sentence together correctly, like many of the younger people growing up in a time where school teachers get told off if kids don't do well at school, instead of the kids themselves.

I had a maths teacher who used to subtract marks from our exam papers if she found spelling mistakes anywhere - let's see one pull that off today. Her point was that regardless of the importance of spelling on the subject, it's the first impression one gives of the overall care and quality in their work, a valuable lesson that's come full circle 25 years later in my business career.

Entitled little shits, back in my day we...sounding like a boomer already? :D

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Gen X here. I know people across rural and urban environments and the millennials on forward who aren't anti-smoking or ambivalous towards it, tend toward cigarettes, dip, or vape. I've seen a couple folks get curious about cigars, but the pricetag scares them off, unless I'm pulling from my humidors (which I don't mind doing at all).

As far as pipes, I think the learning curve is a gatekeeper of sorts, to where only the most dedicated person will climb that mountain.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
A little late to the party, but I fit the age criteria (37)...I know one other guy in my town from my high school class who is an avid pipe smoker and a couple of people my age who dabble.

The guy at my local B&M says he sees a number of college kids and 'some' people around my age coming in and buying tins and/or getting started with the hobby. ...doesn't seem to be 'popular' but not non-existent. I have heard folks from online retailers claim that pipe smoking is 'more popular than ever' .

Idunno, I am just glad I could grow this stuff if it came down to it :) (processing and curing may be another matter...)

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
Cut down and reworded title. Hope you do not mind. Captitalized important words per Rule 9.

And welcome to the forum!

Just got done taking a brief break from the day, with a medium sized bowl of Kramer's Fr. Dempsey in a small bent billiard I used to have at my office, for walking breaks. Hadn't smoked it in a while, and it was a relaxing two-matcher. (I think it is an unremarkable pipe; just has an "Italy" brand on it. I've had it probably 20 years when I wasn't in any way educated about pipes -- all of my pipes are that way, really.)

I was thinking I should nudge my 33-year-old nephew to take up a pipe (he's living in Rome right now), and I wondered if there had been any uptick in pipe smoking among millennials. A quick search here didn't pull up any obvious threads but there did seem to be a brief run of stories to that effect around 2018-19.

My question is to the 30-somethings here: Do many of your friends smoke a pipe? Is it akin to craft beer and cocktails? It has, as we all know, a bit of that retro, DIY nature to it. And then: What might be a good type of tobacco to point my nephew toward do you think?

Thanks all. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Orlik Golden Slice.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
?Millennial pipe smoker here (I’m thirty). I only have a couple of friends my age who share the hobby, and unfortunately they live quite a ways away, but I think it could have potential. I mean, half of us are still going around in turn or the century French workwear anyway, and we tend to like unnecessarily-complicated-yet-rewarding old school ways of doing stuff, and we seem to smoke our share of cigarettes. Could just be a matter of time. I do think the rental thing is probably a big obstacle though, as I could probably count on one hand the number of people my age I know who can even conceive of being able to buy a house.