Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Cut down and reworded title. Hope you do not mind. Captitalized important words per Rule 9.

And welcome to the forum!

Just got done taking a brief break from the day, with a medium sized bowl of Kramer's Fr. Dempsey in a small bent billiard I used to have at my office, for walking breaks. Hadn't smoked it in a while, and it was a relaxing two-matcher. (I think it is an unremarkable pipe; just has an "Italy" brand on it. I've had it probably 20 years when I wasn't in any way educated about pipes -- all of my pipes are that way, really.)

I was thinking I should nudge my 33-year-old nephew to take up a pipe (he's living in Rome right now), and I wondered if there had been any uptick in pipe smoking among millennials. A quick search here didn't pull up any obvious threads but there did seem to be a brief run of stories to that effect around 2018-19.

My question is to the 30-somethings here: Do many of your friends smoke a pipe? Is it akin to craft beer and cocktails? It has, as we all know, a bit of that retro, DIY nature to it. And then: What might be a good type of tobacco to point my nephew toward do you think?

Thanks all. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A quick search here didn't pull up any obvious threads but there did seem to be a brief run of stories to that effect around 2018-19.
That may have been just after the big forum upgrade (don't remember the time frame for sure) but the site was overrun by a younger crowd immediately afterward and the Great Boomer/Millennial Skirmishes ensued.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
My older son is little younger, 20. His cousins are all around that age. None of them smoke. It's very strange. They don't even drink. Well there's one who does, but she's in navy. Then again, my cousins my age don't smoke. One smokes cigar once in awhile. None of my friends smoke. Shit.. It's getting depressing.
Young people of today are subservient useless mind robbed drones, nuff said.:col:

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I think there is definitely an interest among millenials. You can see from YouTube videos and even local pipe clubs having new blood. Seems like 10 -15 years ago smoking a pipe was basically only for old men. I am a millenial (1986) but I've started over 10 years ago(off and on, now full time).

I have a couple millenial friends who smoke pipe and there are a handful at the pipe club but really it's still very rare. Although I do think it is increasing in popularity by millenials and not decreasing.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Millennials are too busy eating avocado toast. ?
I kid, I kid. Honestly, I see more people that age vaping than anything else. ?‍♂️
If I weren't new around here, I'd start a thread about the best blend to go with avocado toast... and then delve into the nuances of how lemony vs peppery vs spicy the avocado is and how that influences the tobacco choice...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smoking used to be a way of nibbling at the edge of maturity for people in their late twenties, but I don't think that's the attraction anymore. It can be an intentional eccentricity or affect, and might get someone called a hipster with scorn. I think it is really hard to tell if it is any sort of trend in any particular age group. I think we have a few thirty and forty something members on Forums, but whether they represent a trend, I rather doubt. But then, even the old fellas on here are mostly of independent mind. And the women who tend to come and go are unquestionably of independent spirit. A few cynics wonder if some of the women are in fact women; likely some aren't.

1. Who are millennials?
2. Who are Gen-Z?
3. Who are Gen-Alpha?
4. Is it possible to define the behavior of an age group by a broad brush stroke ?

After you light a pipe, and ponder on the questions you will know ?

There are a LOT of millennials in this group. Some famous (Or infamous) are BROBS, alaskanpiper, Shanez, Richard Funkenhouser, danimalia and many more whose exact age I don’t know