PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There will always be the individual identity vs the group. Just as you say, "I see millennials and how they are", you're making an observation based a perception of the group identity, but no doubt there are many within that range like yourself that don't really identify with it.
the-lone-wolf.jpg

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
When you are 40 some older people will refer to you as a young man. Around what age does this stop?
Hey don't worry, I think it's just the old farts trying to forget that at any time they could just up and die like the old soggy boot they are. There is this old dozer hand at work like this. Looks down his nose at everyone younger than him. He just got one of those new Camaro's, I had to laugh cuz there is no chance it's working for him like it might have thirty years ago...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 27, 2020
Hey don't worry, I think it's just the old farts trying to forget that at any time they could just up and die like the old soggy boot they are. There is this old dozer hand at work like this. Looks down his nose at everyone younger than him. He just got one of those new Camaro's, I had to laugh cuz there is no chance it's working for him like it might have thirty years ago...

I never felt any ill will.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I doubt there is any wide spread, large scale pipe smoking movement among younger adults. If you weren't already a smoker, why would anybody in their right mind take it up at 30 years old or after?
Pleasant aromas, commeraderie, a piqued interest in what their father or grandfather did. Or just plain old “I always wanted to but never did until now” attitude. At least that’s a common response on pipe forums.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I doubt there is any wide spread, large scale pipe smoking movement among younger adults. If you weren't already a smoker, why would anybody in their right mind take it up at 30 years old or after?
And any movement would be large scale as pipers only make up 1% of the total smoking populace in the US per CDC estimates.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pleasant aromas, commeraderie, a piqued interest in what their father or grandfather did. Or just plain old “I always wanted to but never did until now” attitude. At least that’s a common response on pipe forums.

I'm 64 and smoked for almost 50 years. I'm not a hypocrite, if someone 30 wants to start smoking, have a happy, for whatever your reasons. Aside from the health risks, when you look at the culture right now and the inevitable difficulty in acquiring tobacco, it just seems silly. Having said that, I suspect the vast majority of younger adults who take up pipe smoking have one bowl per week or so. In other words, it is more of a ceremonial thing than it is a habit or addiction. I certainly see no issue with that.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Having said that, I suspect the vast majority of younger adults who take up pipe smoking have one bowl per week or so. In other words, it is more of a ceremonial thing than it is a habit or addiction. I certainly see no issue with that.
Heh, whilst I'm not a young adult, I did want to start sooner, but living in a rental property, with no smoking rules, and whatnot, I was putting pipes and cigars off till I could move out and into my own place. Eventually, I realised "my own place" was just not gonna happen, so I just bit the vulcanite stem and started smoking a pipe, with cigars following about half a year later.

I'd love to have at least one bowl per day, but, since I'm still in said rental property I'm one of those having a bowl or two per week. Sometimes it's not so much a ceremonial thing but more of outside constrains.