Anyone else feel wierd about smoking an estate pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I guess all the vintage Barling's Make I salivate over will now fall in price?
ALL my first pipes were "estates" - my father's rarely used (and hence not missed when I filched them) and those inherited from grandfather. I also have no problem with four Ebay sellers (all well known here) and those from sp.com.

Beyond that, I "window" shop alot and very rarely buy any others.

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
I actually see to have an opposite problem: when I buy a new pipe I tend to not smoke it for a while and go back to my used ones, because I fear I might ruin the new pipe, or it won't smoke good.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I have no problem smoking an estate pipe with my effete lips. HeHe

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@cobguy:

Fomites! So you must smoke new naked pipes while naked? Novel idea. Those pesky fomites are indeed everywhere.
Most of my pipes are estate pipes which I thoroughly ream, clean & sanitize. Just wish that I had an ozonator as well.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
@cobguy:

Fomites! So you must smoke new naked pipes while naked?
Guilty! :mrgreen:
pipe-smoker-elderly-healthy-man-smoking-his-33845768.jpg

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Perception is a funny thing. Some see it as eating out of a garbage pail while others see a diamond in the ruff. I just finished cleaning and sanitizing an estate pipe from the early 70's.
Well, the only difference between carbon graphite and a diamond is time and pressure. Just remember, as Michelangelo once said, "Beneath every dirty estate pipe is a perfectly clean brand new pipe!"
(He really did say that)
Assuming you bought a really dirty estate pipe. Most are just slightly to moderately used.
Damn! Gotta go! Time to sit out on the patio and smoke another darling estate pipe worth easily $150 or more that I got for a song!
(maybe even just a whistle)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
PappyMac, your question sounds optimistic, hopeful and yet rhetorical. I think this thread will, unfortunately, survive past common sense.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Sometimes, late at night when the wife and kids are in bed, I put peanut butter in my slippers so when I smoke my estate pipe I feel weird.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
It always amazes me to read people complain about threads they don't like and have no interest in, yet prove by their very posting to it that they are still reading them with interest! The psychologist in me would wonder if they don't secretly have an estate pipe envy fixation. :puffy:
Cure: Give in to your mental hang-ups, start buying, restoring, and using great, old estate pipes along with all of your new pipes and find out what all the fun is about, and you can take all the money you saved and buy a bunch more tobacco to smoke in them!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Also a curiosity: Why, when an OP asks for ONE thing you like, smoke, buy, hate or whatever, some folks insist on posting a whole list?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
One of the funniest threads I've read in weeks.
Matt, "effete" is a word. But it's just a word: a good word, maybe even a grand one but we've all been called worse. Let it go, bub, and laugh it off.
I love old things: pipes, records, Boy Scout patches, Bourbons, Wine, friends.
Estate pipes make up the heart and soul of my collection: a '28 Dunhill, vintage Comoy's & seconds, vintage GBD's & seconds, vintage Charatans & seconds and a boatload of Danish briar. I'm currently awaiting a cleaned up, vintage Jobey pot from Danielplainview and a couple of 2nd hand Blatter's from my favorite Canadian, Pruss.
I can't wait to smoke them. And respect their history. And enjoy their .20 to .25 cents value on the dollar.
Cheers, all,
Fnord

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

:rofl:
Love my estate pipes btw! I put them in my mouth and tongue their wee wittle nobbies and everything! Sometimes I even put bakkie in them and schmokerize da daylights outa 'em!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I love it when people make posts in Latin so that we have to work harder to figure out just what they are saying is just the same old gobblelygook that is just random words used by printers to fill space when designing a layout.
I actually find this thread enlightening. Or, at least some of the comments.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Yay!!! Pappymac!! Me too! A lot of our posts here are as substantial as Lorem Ispum... but way more fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.