PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Well, unless you are doing consignments, pipe making lets you go at your own pace. I am sure it is a great stress reliever as well as allowing you artistic freedom.

May 31, 2012
WE DEMAND MORE COMIX!
:nana:

j/k
Don't be shirking yer pipemaking duties!

:wink:
...what about a comic with a couple of yer pipes? One is smoked and the other is unsmoked, having a convo about what they think about reality, a kind of existential inquiry about the nature of being and the meaning of everything...sounds like a crowd pleaser, yes? :P

:idea:

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
I thought about that but I don't know if I'll include my own pipes in this or not. It's obvious promo potential, sure, but I'd really rather use the strip to showcase other brands and styles that I think are interesting, that IMO don't get enough attention or press. Honestly, I'm halfway tempted to just do some comics that are nothing but the two main Zillas discussing pipe stuff, without even necessarily having punchlines.
...OTOH, that might be too dull for mass consumption. I'm probably the only person on earth who wants to see two Godzilla toys discussing the finer points of Kirstens for eight panels...

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
I'm probably the only person on earth who wants to see two Godzilla toys discussing the finer points of Kirstens for eight panels
On the contrary! Clearly there is already an enthusiastic following!
Clearly. :D

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It works on three levels for me: I like pipe smoking, I like comics and I like Godzilla. I grew up watching the old Godzilla/Kaiju flicks, love them in all their cheesiness. Even watched Ghidorah last night, my 11 y/o likes Godzilla and I told him to pick something that didn't make me want to kill myself.
Looking forward to the next installment whenever it pops up. Needs a series name.

May 31, 2012
Needs a series name.
...what about Zodgrilla Forum Funnies

:lol:
or Treverthimble Theatre
or Big Lizards With Radioactive Breath Speak Eloquently About Briar Pipes
or Monster Island Pipe Talk
or Kaijukajagoogoo
:eek:

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Monster Island Pipe Talk is great, although I already know of at least two other Godzilla-related web comics that use Monster Island in the titles. I'm really fond of Big Lizards with Radioactive Breath speak eloquently of Briar Pipes too - the challenge there will be fitting it into the title space!

Jan 8, 2013
This was not something I expected to see when I signed in on the forums today. But I freaking love it! I loved Godzilla as a kid, and although I haven't seen the new one yet, I fully intend to. I love comics... all kinds. And I love pipes. Three of my favorite things all thrown into one. Great stuff! :)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great art, Trever. The 2nd piece needs to be on the door of every craftsman who does custom work. I can hear their amens now!

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Great art, Trever. The 2nd piece needs to be on the door of every craftsman who does custom work. I can hear their amens now!
I've already sent that one to a couple of newer pipemakers I know, with an admonition to "Learn the warning signs now!" :D

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
This is just fantastic! What an original idea, I love those damn godzillas.
Thanks for the laughs, hope you keep with it.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Thanks! I've got two more strips already written, just haven't had time to assemble them yet. Too busy making late-summer Goblins!

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
OK, this one is dedicated to everyone who's ever been a moderator on any internet forum, ever...
6Ygt9Ed.jpg

I had so much fun doing that that I made an immediate follow-up:
aUbG5rY.jpg

FWIW, I've now assembled these together on a dedicated comic site, in bigger versions with archives and easy browsing and all. I think I'm going to keep on doing them for a while at least. They're loads of fun to make, and don't take much time, unlike my old hand-drawn web comic.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
LOL! Those are hilarious! Anyone who has spent any time on any Internet forum will surely appreciate them.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Trevor, could you post a link to this aforementioned website when it's up and running?
It's already up and running, but I have this fuzzy memory that we're not supposed to post links to outside sites on this forum. I thought that was a rule. Is that incorrect?

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
"...cannot be used just as a means to promote...."
Since Trevor weighs in the forums from time to time and contributes, doesn't it mean that rule is void in this application? Can Kevin or a mod weigh in on this?