PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Do any cigars, cigarettes, or smokeless tobacco contain "red viginias"?
As Lucky and others have rightly pointed out, there are 156 different grades of Flue Cured tobacco, what we refer to as Virginia and any one of those 156 grades could, in theory, come off the same plant. The farmer's decisions about cultivation, and timing, as well as weather and climate factors all play a role in how each priming (Lugs, Cutters, Leaf, Tips) turns out, as does the final curing method and approach.

The grades were established, by a coalition of tobacco farmers in the late 1800's, and were designed to be a detailed, regulated way of describing a particular lot of tobacco. The purpose of the grading system is twofold: Purpose #1is providing clear terms of communication between the grower and the buyer about what the end result should be of a particular crop and for what price. Purpose #2 is providing clear terms of communication between manufacturers and dealers about what style of tobacco is available that will best suit the manufacturer's needs. Grades establish crop year, stalk position, overall quality/ consistency and a color assessment.

Mahogany, Red, Red/ Orange, Orange, Lemon, Pale, Green are among the possible color portions of the grade but the color itself is not what is important and color alone is not the grade, it's only a part of the grade. Color is an indicator of other attributes. Think about buying produce in the grocery store. The color of a banana, a watermelon, a squash, or a grape tells you a lot of information about what to expect from it and whether you will like it for your intended use. What Red Virginia means is Virginia type tobacco, from the upper leaves of the stalk, mature, ripe, moderate sugar, moderate to high nicotine, balanced, lower acidity, heavy bodied leaf, oil present. This tobacco offers a full flavor, deep caramelized, earthy sweet taste, and strength.

Last year the US Flue Cured crop was 234.9 million pounds. Just Flue Cured. Not counting Burley, Dark Fired, Dark Air Cured, etc... each of which account for several tens of millions of pounds as well. 15% of the population of the US smokes / uses tobacco. That's about 49 million people. 97% of that group smoke cigarettes. The vast majority of the remaining 3% of the tobacco users chew or dip or smoke machine made cigars. On a pie chart of tobacco use for the US population, pipe smoking is not even visible. All tobacco, including Red VA styles and grades get used in all sorts of products outside of pipe tobacco. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't be available at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think medical science knows the precise difference between allergy, asthma, and chemical sensitivity. Allergy isn't always or usually anaphylactic where the throat closes up. I had awful hay fever as a kid. Especially my eyes would run, get stuck closed overnight, and I'd sneeze and get dehydrated and fatigued. But no throat closing or lip swelling. But the categories are esoteric, and I don't think the biomedical researchers agree.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't think medical science knows the precise difference between allergy, asthma, and chemical sensitivity. Allergy isn't always or usually anaphylactic where the throat closes up. I had awful hay fever as a kid. Especially my eyes would run, get stuck closed overnight, and I'd sneeze and get dehydrated and fatigued. But no throat closing or lip swelling. But the categories are esoteric, and I don't think the biomedical researchers agree.
an allergy is an immune response to an otherwise not dangerous substance. That can run the gamet of effects. Asthma is a type of allergic reaction that closes the breathing tubes. Chemical sensitivity is when a chemical hurts you more then other people and can be allergic or something else. When you had hay fever your body was treating the pollen which is harmless as if it was a virus that had to be kept out.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
So, this thread has kinda stuck in my mind over the past few days...I go through periods where I am more sensitive to Red Virginias..I will say though, if I had my druthers, I could smoke Red Va. blends all day, every day...that lemony toast thing I get from 515 RC-1 is the cat's pajamas (let alone if you get some orientals in the mix, good lord)...that said:

does anyone have any ideas for dealing with/overcoming this sensitivity?

I notice, for me, as this is purely some anecdotal shit, that I am more sensitive to these blends when my allergies are acting up or the air is really dry (like right now)...I am fortunately having a 'good nose day' for IPSD, but, I know the sting will return with this cursed winter air...

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So, this thread has kinda stuck in my mind over the past few days...I go through periods where I am more sensitive to Red Virginias..I will say though, if I had my druthers, I could smoke Red Va. blends all day, every day...that lemony toast thing I get from 515 RC-1 is the cat's pajamas (let alone if you get some orientals in the mix, good lord)...that said:

does anyone have any ideas for dealing with/overcoming this sensitivity?

I notice, for me, as this is purely some anecdotal shit, that I am more sensitive to these blends when my allergies are acting up or the air is really dry (like right now)...I am fortunately having a 'good nose day' for IPSD, but, I know the sting will return with this cursed winter air...
drink lots of water, and brush your teeth/tongue a lot.
I've found it's leaving the juices or even the smoke on your tongue. If you brush your teeth almost right away it can help. Of course not if you've seared your tongue.. nothing will really help that. haha

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bobs, you want to play, I got you covered. I have been smoking a pipe for over 20 years. I smoke Fribourg & Treyer, Cut Virginia Plug, Special Brown Flake and Vintage flake, none have any reds that I can detect.
How about you show me where your info is on those three flakes.

I have smoked both Capstan Blue and Yellow flakes and no reds. You listed blends that have reds, I am not going through 6 pages. I like the word allergy, luckily I get to use the words I like and not words that other people like.

How about Dunhill Flake, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake.
How about :
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Astleys 44 Dark Flake, Wessex Brown Virginia Flake or Gold Virginia Flake.
Rotary Navy Cut has never had any reds I could detect. Since it has been discontinued did you save the recipe that says it has reds in it. Have you ever smoked Rotary? One of my favorites that I could smoke all day. Lucky I loaded up.

Have you found all the components on theses blends and where did you get them. THat would be pretty cool to see what is what.

I almost forgot, what company was making the Fribourg& Treyer that I bought back in 2012.

Reactions: BROBS
bobs, you want to play, I got you covered. I have been smoking a pipe for over 20 years. I smoke Fribourg & Treyer, Cut Virginia Plug, Special Brown Flake and Vintage flake, none have any reds that I can detect.
How about you show me where your info is on those three flakes.

I have smoked both Capstan Blue and Yellow flakes and no reds. You listed blends that have reds, I am not going through 6 pages. I like the word allergy, luckily I get to use the words I like and not words that other people like.

How about Dunhill Flake, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake.
How about :
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Astleys 44 Dark Flake, Wessex Brown Virginia Flake or Gold Virginia Flake.
Rotary Navy Cut has never had any reds I could detect. Since it has been discontinued did you save the recipe that says it has reds in it. Have you ever smoked Rotary? One of my favorites that I could smoke all day. Lucky I loaded up.

Have you found all the components on theses blends and where did you get them. THat would be pretty cool to see what is what.

I almost forgot, what company was making the Fribourg& Treyer that I bought back in 2012.
Are you just angry with Brobs or the site sponsors and celebrated tobacconist that posted in this thread saying the same thing?
It's time for your pill, Harris. Make sure your blanket stays over your legs. Don't want you to catch a cold. puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Are you just angry with Brobs or the site sponsors and celebrated tobacconist that posted in this thread saying the same thing?
It's time for your pill, Harris. Make sure your blanket stays over your legs. Don't want you to catch a cold. puffy
Cos, I am not angry. He has made some statements that are his right. I merely ask a couple of questions and I really would love to see a book with recipes, that would be cool.
I missed the tobaconist who posted on the thread as I didn't read it all. Fill me in buddy.

Reactions: BROBS

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I think a realistic hypothesis is that if a tobacco says Red Virginia on the tin, that they intentionally enunciate the VA character of the tobacco by having a high percentage at VA as compared to other blends, just so you can really taste it. 'Cause that's what you're paying for is that red VA character. That would imply that people who react to it possibly are sensitive to anything over a particular VA%.

Edit: And these red VA blends may have less casing (which would otherwise smooth out the smoke) in order to prevent masking the VA flavor.

Cos, I am not angry. He has made some statements that are his right. I merely ask a couple of questions and I really would love to see a book with recipes, that would be cool.
I missed the tobaconist who posted on the thread as I didn't read it all. Fill me in buddy.
Shane and Jeremy of C&D Laudsi posted that you can't depend 100% on what is written on the labels, and I've read Sykes post the same thing in the past. It's probably very rare for a Virginia to actually be 100% Virginias in a blend. So, there can be reds in many blends that may not write it on their labels. My own two cents on that is that most leaf when cured to a red is just the tips of the leaf, and separating out the reds from the yellows in those cases is impossible.

But, I think that the crux of the thread is that you probably don't have an actual medical allergy, but you most likely are just a woosie sensitive to acidic blends, most likely from poor life choices body chemistry.

Edit: And, what Raj says above.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Shane and Jeremy of C&D Laudsi posted that you can't depend 100% on what is written on the labels, and I've read Sykes post the same thing in the past. It's probably very rare for a Virginia to actually be 100% Virginias in a blend. So, there can be reds in many blends that may not write it on their labels. My own two cents on that is that most leaf when cured to a red is just the tips of the leaf, and separating out the reds from the yellows in those cases is impossible.

But, I think that the crux of the thread is that you probably don't have an actual medical allergy, but you most likely are just a woosie sensitive to acidic blends, most likely from poor life choices body chemistry.

Edit: And, what Raj says above.
I have a real high level of uric acid in my body which is why I got kidney stones so many times. For years the stones were strictly uric acid. I moved to Florida and my last stones were calcium and uric acid. Worst fucking stone ever. It was 8mm and jagged not a normal stone.. They had to go in and get it and then had to leave a stent in me for 2 weeks .
When they yank that stent they give no warning and you want to punch him in the face 20 times.

I have a real high level of uric acid in my body which is why I got kidney stones so many times. For years the stones were strictly uric acid. I moved to Florida and my last stones were calcium and uric acid. Worst fucking stone ever. It was 8mm and jagged not a normal stone.. They had to go in and get it and then had to leave a stent in me for 2 weeks .
When they yank that stent they give no warning and you want to punch him in the face 20 times.
I had kidney stone surgery also, and waking up with a string coming out my junk, with the doc tell me to take two pills and yank the string out was the worst experience of my life. It's like some weird horror movie with a sadistic doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.