PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Speaking with a neighbour about matches or lighters and he pointed out that there is a perpetual match, which I had never heard of.
View attachment 158842
so I just ordered one…fill it with Zippo fuel for a windproof match. Could this be the answer to the conundrum of match vs wind?
I had one that looked like a pack of Camel cigarettes back in the '90s. Don't strike it with a lot of force as you can break the tip off.

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas
I have a cheap pipe lighter which I use occasionally. I usually use a BIC, which works great but I hate the combination of a nice pipe and a crappy lighter like a BIC. After reading this thread I may give matches a go.

Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whatever works for you!

And,
Please put your location in your Profile!

How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I have a cheap pipe lighter which I use occasionally. I usually use a BIC, which works great but I hate the combination of a nice pipe and a crappy lighter like a BIC. After reading this thread I may give matches a go.
I think there is something more elegant about using a match, compared to a crap lighter, matches are just a pain in the arse when you’re outdoors; I mowed the lawn today, I must’ve used 6-8 matches to get the pipe puffing.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I forgot to add there's no need to choose one over the other; many ways to light, and some use 3-4 methods.
In order of personal preference:

1. Match
2. Lighter
3. Hemp wick

Also, I've heard the old way to light a kiseru is by tucking it next to an ember in brazier and puffing away. Sounds like a good way to loose my eye lashes, but I'd sure like to try it once.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
At first, I used matches since my zippo was hard to control. I recently acquired the pipe insert and have not looked back. Although, I find I have to not pull as hard toward the dottle else I end up with a mouth full of zippo fuel flavor.
I have heard that some people enjoy the taste of petrol on their smoke of choice?

I’m not convinced that this isn’t style over substance though?

Personally I let the sulphur burn off a match before lighting a pipe, cigarette or cigar; I appreciate that this isn’t possible with a Zippo - you either like that flavour or you don’t; it doesn’t ‘burn away’.

A butane lighter doesn’t ‘flavour’ the smoke at all but they do make me feel like I’m trying to urgently get something into my blood stream as quickly as possible - maybe this is an affectation in and of itself? ?‍♂️

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Several case options but mostly useless in a breeze. I bought this one just to look at, really like the Arabesque design.

View attachment 158845
This Arabesque Old Boy is exactly what I use now. I love it. It’s solidly built, operates smoothly, and the butane lasts.

I started with a Zippo with pipe insert. That felt clunkier and the fuel ran out quickly and needed frequent refills. I then upgraded to a Peterson pipe lighter before I got the Old Boy. I really liked the Peterson lighter too, but the Old Boy feels more solid and has a tamper/pick built in, which can be very convenient.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Thanks to our dear friend BurleyBreath, now I light my Toscano rockets, with the fantastic zippo that he gave me. The first puffs, when I light the cigar, I get an aftertaste of fuel (liquid). But these are the first seconds, then the tobacco tastes better. I really love the click of the zippo, when closing. I have a lot of matchboxes at home, but it is clear to me that if I use them, it has to be at home or in a closed room. Otherwise, if I do it in the street, with just a simple breeze, I would end up so stressed, that I would chew the cigarette, spit it out and end up walking down the street like the girl from the exorcist, vomiting mashed peas, in the windows of stores, traffic signs, lampposts, some peddler of cordless vacuum cleaners, etc...

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This Arabesque Old Boy is exactly what I use now. I love it. It’s solidly built, operates smoothly, and the butane lasts.

I started with a Zippo with pipe insert. That felt clunkier and the fuel ran out quickly and needed frequent refills. I then upgraded to a Peterson pipe lighter before I got the Old Boy. I really liked the Peterson lighter too, but the Old Boy feels more solid and has a tamper/pick built in, which can be very convenient.
Just don't drop it. The spring holding the swing arm down is pretty fragile and if the fuel tank is cracked it can cost nearly as much as the lighter to replace. I've gone through several types over the years and settled on the Beattie.

20210829_145249.jpg

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
I’ll use matches if I’m trying to impress, or during the break in of a new pipe. Mostly, though, it’s a flat orange bic. Might look like a crackhead when I light a bowl in the apartment breezeway, but it’s convenient and disposable. I used to keep a zippo when I smoked cigs, but it got irritating to keep up with. I really did enjoy the click it made when opened, though.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ll use matches if I’m trying to impress, or during the break in of a new pipe. Mostly, though, it’s a flat orange bic. Might look like a crackhead when I light a bowl in the apartment breezeway, but it’s convenient and disposable. I used to keep a zippo when I smoked cigs, but it got irritating to keep up with. I really did enjoy the click it made when opened, though.
I’m just weighing up the pros and cons of getting a butane insert for a Zippo lighter. As far as I can tell, the pros outweigh the cons.

I’ve never used one though, so I could be mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.