PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer using a match over a lighter but there are some obvious issues when using a match, especially out doors.

I was just wondering what your preference is? I always think lighting a pipe with a lighter makes me feel like a low rent crack head or something.

I appreciate that this all about personal choice and whatever works for you is good; I’m just interested.
Get a nice Old Boy, and you're no long a crackhead.

I prefer refillable butane lighters, but also use BiC and matches, and a Zippo if very windy.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I use a lighter, but if I could buy matches, particularly Swan Vestas, I'd use them.
For some bizarre reason the Korean Gov't banned the sale of matches in stores. I wasn't aware of this little detail, until we visited some relatives for a Korean holiday gathering, where they hosts had a box of safety matches that were apparently 20 years old.

Reactions: JOHN72

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Easier to ask then look-up old movies. Aside from cupping the hand around the flame, what technique did he/you use? I was fussing around w/matches yesterday in the breeze and went inside to get a lighter… ha.
I’ve seen guys hold a match between their first and second digits of their first and second fingers with the flame on the inside of the hand and cup it over the bowl dropping the match right in so as to block the wind with the rest of the hand with the unused thumb to cover wind from that side very impressed with this technique…

Last edited:

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I realise this is heretical but I initially light with a torch lighter and after use a bic long neck. Been trying this for a while. Still not sure if it will stay. But so far very good.

Reactions: JOHN72

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
actually kind of disappointed you didn't say you just use flint and black powder to light your pipes. You know with the name and all that.
Good one brother. I am a black powder enthusiast and am capable of making fire with flint and steel. It's actually a fun activity and learning experience to do with kids to show them how our forefathers had to make fire. There have been a couple times while out in the woods when I forgot my modern day lighter and had to use flint and steel to make a very small fire from which to light my pipe. You do what you got to do buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.