PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I prefer using a match over a lighter but there are some obvious issues when using a match, especially out doors.

I was just wondering what your preference is? I always think lighting a pipe with a lighter makes me feel like a low rent crack head or something.

I appreciate that this all about personal choice and whatever works for you is good; I’m just interested.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I prefer using a match over a lighter but there are some obvious issues when using a match, especially out doors.

I was just wondering what your preference is? I always think lighting a pipe with a lighter makes me feel like a low rent crack head or something.

I appreciate that this all about personal choice and whatever works for you is good; I’m just interested.
matches and if you use them enough you figure out how to use them in the wind. Pro tip watch old Bing Cosby movies when he lights the pipe. :)

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
matches and if you use them enough you figure out how to use them in the wind. Pro tip watch old Bing Cosby movies when he lights the pipe. :)

Easier to ask then look-up old movies. Aside from cupping the hand around the flame, what technique did he/you use? I was fussing around w/matches yesterday in the breeze and went inside to get a lighter… ha.

Reactions: vosBghos

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I love using my Zippo lighters, but a match or a Bic lighter is more effective in my experience, for some reason. (A heavy draw often extinguishes the Zippo flame before a good light.)

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I like the ritual of the match. But I use igniter 95%. The matches at some specific time, and of course not outside, I mean in the street. It stresses me a lot to spend a whole box of matches, and that my cigarette is still out. This is the most convenient and practical thing I have. I also love zippo. But the ritual of the matches is really beautiful. InkedIMG_4433[4226]_LI.jpgIMG_2207[1409].jpgIMG_4411[3791].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.