PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Good one brother. I am a black powder enthusiast and am capable of making fire with flint and steel. It's actually a fun activity and learning experience to do with kids to show them how our forefathers had to make fire. There have been a couple times while out in the woods when I forgot my modern day lighter and had to use flint and steel to make a very small fire from which to light my pipe. You do what you got to do buddy.
@blackpowderpiper Well done ?; are you a re-enactor???

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
@blackpowderpiper Well done ?; are you a re-enactor???
No Dan. Just an outdoorsman who enjoys trying to better understand how our forefathers lived and the unique challenges they faced as they went about their day to day activities. It gives one a great appreciation for how easy we have things in our modern day world.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Bic, matches, refillable butane lighter, zippo, hemp wick, virtually anything (w/e torch lighters) that will provide fire to the tobacco. Since most of my smoking is outside zippos get the most work.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good one brother. I am a black powder enthusiast and am capable of making fire with flint and steel. It's actually a fun activity and learning experience to do with kids to show them how our forefathers had to make fire. There have been a couple times while out in the woods when I forgot my modern day lighter and had to use flint and steel to make a very small fire from which to light my pipe. You do what you got to do buddy.
One of the things I love about older firearms is the feel. They kind of have a more serious feel in hand if that makes sense. You can feel more what they are and can do before you fire a shot. Not dissing with this but a lot of modern firearms have the same hand feel to me as a toy. Just my opinion on it. Never did that with a pipe but a cigarette a few times.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
View attachment 157763

I don't use Zippo, 'Cause it makes tobacco tasted awful.
you're not using it right then. Especially with the pipe insert. I only get any zippo flavor if I just filled the thing and don't let the extra fumes burn off like the leaflet tells you to do ;) I say that as a person that hated pipes with zippos until being told the same thing and giving it a go.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I use a butane pipe lighter made by JetLine. It's inexpensive compared to many of the pipe lighters out there and it can double as a tamper (but I never use it for tamping).

I prefer the lighter because it's so much easier to relight, especially a taller bowl, once you get down half way through than trying to get a match in without scorching the rim, or breaking off the burnt end of the match into the bowl. It's more cost effective too.

I tried matches and got a small scorch spot on the rim of my pipe bowl where part of the match bumped it. The other thing I don't like about matches is how finicky they are with flame control (the flame can be pretty wide depending on the match as it burns down the stick). And honestly, between the match and the butane lighter, I could taste no difference on the char light.

The other thing I like about a lighter, is it's much smaller and easier to carry around than a box of matches.

Reactions: JOHN72

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never been a match guy. I loved my first Zippo(around 13) and just began getting better and better lighters through the years. I really enjoyed my Dupont cigar lighters and I really enjoy my IM Corona Pipemasters and Old Boys. I tried quite a few lighters through the years looking for the next great one. I am done buying anymore lighters as my lighter acquisition disease has subsided and I am free of that addiction. Only took over 60 years for it to end .

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This may not make sense, but I prefer wooden matches, I really do, and if I smoked in the house I'd use them 100% of the time - it's just that I don't really smoke my pipes where I get much opportunity to use them. Usually am outside, it's breezy, or in the Jeep from time to time (not a lot), or my wife's car (!) and obviously no matches in those, unless I'm lounging in my Jeep in the garage watching Sherlock Holmes on a dvd, haha. I have a lighter like @chasingembers and it is really cool, but I don't use it a lot because it's basically an antique (but it is really cool, there I said it again), and I have some butane type as well, but I reach for one of the 3 Zippos with the pipe insert most of the time. When we were in Ireland I got some little boxes of matches and used those outside the rental cottage sitting on the patio, otherwise it was a cheap Bic I picked up and I found out that Bics and me just don't get along for lighting pipes.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
This may not make sense, but I prefer wooden matches, I really do, and if I smoked in the house I'd use them 100% of the time - it's just that I don't really smoke my pipes where I get much opportunity to use them. Usually am outside, it's breezy, or in the Jeep from time to time (not a lot), or my wife's car (!) and obviously no matches in those, unless I'm lounging in my Jeep in the garage watching Sherlock Holmes on a dvd, haha. I have a lighter like @chasingembers and it is really cool, but I don't use it a lot because it's basically an antique (but it is really cool, there I said it again), and I have some butane type as well, but I reach for one of the 3 Zippos with the pipe insert most of the time. When we were in Ireland I got some little boxes of matches and used those outside the rental cottage sitting on the patio, otherwise it was a cheap Bic I picked up and I found out that Bics and me just don't get along for lighting pipes.
one of the things i love about matches are that it is easy to geu the flame as wide or narrow as you like and how easy they are on relights since they fit inside more of the bowl then most lighters. I know this comment makes more sense responding to the previous comment, but i like this one more since it is pro match

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Grotesque! And, yes, that's to my eyes. It's big, and has no grace. But perfect for those who wear camouflage, etc.

S.T.Dupont-Defi-Soft-Flame-flame.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and Hfinn
Status
Not open for further replies.