PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would never recommend Lotus or Colibri and there is another company that copies the Old Boys but only charge around 50 bucks. I think it is called Vector. I bought lighters from all three companies and they never lasted more than a few months. I traded out of them all as the tobacconists I used are stand up people.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
impresses the birds
Well, there's the beauty of needing to light the wick - always a perfectly normal lighter knocking around too. Not impressive perhaps, but sufficient unto the hour & all that.

Reactions: simong

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
I like a match for the initial lite and a zippo pipe lighter after that. I love the way the zippo flame seems to gently fill the whole chamber when I draw. Might try an old boy or similar lighter one day but the cost is a little on the high side!

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
I prefer using a match over a lighter but there are some obvious issues when using a match, especially out doors.

I was just wondering what your preference is? I always think lighting a pipe with a lighter makes me feel like a low rent crack head or something.

I appreciate that this all about personal choice and whatever works for you is good; I’m just interested.
Old boy and Zippo
I prefer using a match over a lighter but there are some obvious issues when using a match, especially out doors.

I was just wondering what your preference is? I always think lighting a pipe with a lighter makes me feel like a low rent crack head or something.

I appreciate that this all about personal choice and whatever works for you is good; I’m just interested.
Old boy and Zippo lighters in a pinch but prefer "strike anywhere" kitchen matches...

PurePipes

Lurker
Jan 13, 2022
I prefer a lighter.
My most used lighters are Peterson and Old Boy.
The Old Boy is indeed very old, still works just fine.
Never liked matches.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What does an “Old Boy” lighter look like exactly? I’ve never heard of them.
IM29747p_1400x.jpg

This is on the expensive side, @ $200. You can get them under $100. Best in class.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I prefer matches always, however, when I’m reading I don’t have both hands available so I use a Zippo pipe lighter. I smoke in the house always and the wind proof aspect is not of importance. I love the soft flame of matches and they remind me of my beloved Irish grandpa. End of story.
Personally I think there’s something romantic and old school about firing up with a match; it sometimes feels too much like an addiction when I light up with a lighter. Probably just me though. ?

Reactions: edger

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Can we have a list of dishonest lighters? Overpriced? Defective? Pretentious, no doubt.

Which are the worst?
I think one of the main reasons I like matches is that I have been known to misplace things; over the years I have spent good money on buying nice lighters (an engraved, Battle of Britain memorial, Zippo springs to mind) and try to look refined only to lose things with an alarming immediacy.
I stick to matches and the humble cheap lighter from the local shop on most occasions.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use almost all methods of lighting, save hemp. I like the small boxes of matches you find at bars, restaurants and hotels, so when I travel, I load up. Love the Old Boys. Zippo in wind.

Reactions: OldVark and JOHN72

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
Usually the one which is on hand, wooden matches or Kiribi. I also have a Zippo but I have decided to keep it at least three feet away from my pipes.. My days in military service on southern seashore of Finland taught me to light a cigarette on all weather conditions, I think it might also have eased up my outdoor pipe smoking a bit.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Number one is an IM Corona Old Boy. The flame is adjustable, you don't burn your thumb and it can be repaired. Buy it and you have it for life. I have three but one is in the shop. When the Old Boy runs out of gas I grab a Bic until I can refuel. In a pinch I'll use a wooden match but, depending on the brand, I find it will sometimes eject a small shard of burning phosphorus that lands on my clothes, the chair or the carpet. In that case, the expensive lighter suddenly seems a lot more economical! These are all on my side table.IMG_6290.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.