PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
You've just taken up smoking but your wife doesn't like the smell. Your next action step is
A: wear checked flannel, everyone knows that absorbs smoke smells and makes you manly without the smoky annoyance
B: spend 2K on an air purification unit so you can lock yourself into a tiny room in your own home
C: ask permission to smoke in the garage as long as she keeps her auto windows up
D: enjoy your pipe by the fireplace and recall the good times you had together

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
You've just taken up smoking but your wife doesn't like the smell. Your next action step is
A: wear checked flannel, everyone knows that absorbs smoke smells and makes you manly without the smoky annoyance
B: spend 2K on an air purification unit so you can lock yourself into a tiny room in your own home
C: ask permission to smoke in the garage as long as she keeps her auto windows up
D: enjoy your pipe by the fireplace and recall the good times you had together
Absolutely D

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
You're upping your pipe game and feel it's time for a new pipe. You

1. Buy the best you can afford - everyone knows more $ spent = better pipe
2. Buy a cob cuz they've the most open draw, smoke sweet, and are good-n-cheap
3. Buy a P-lip system pipe. There haven't been any improvements in over 100 years
4. It's a straw! Just learn how to smoke the damn thing and shut up about it!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
You just arrived in East Berlin, California... you want to smoke a pipe, but the only place available is a cigar shop with a lounge. Do you...
A. just walk in set down and fire up a pipe.
B. just rent a car and start driving East as fast as you can.
C. ask if you may smoke a pipe in their lounge while holding a $15 cigar like you are going to buy it.
D. rob a liquor store so that someone can bring you a pipe to smoke in prison.
I'm going with B

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You are concerned about the environment and your carbon foot print. Do you:

(a) wash your pipe cleaners with your weekly washing load
(b) wash then individually
(c) stop cleaning your pipe

In the essay section of this question explain the various protocols you use to straighten out your used pipe cleaners and discuss any health and safety issues that should be identified.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

I say the same answers too... :)

It’s funny this post coming up, because in all honesty, after coming up to being three years this year getting back into pipe smoking, I feel like I’ve only started to get a good rhythm of certain things at this point in time.

Now, just remember, none of this really matters if your pockets are deep, and you have money to throw to the wind.

But, if you really have to budget, and you are limited, then you certainly want to make your money go as far as it can, so what does that mean to a pipe smoker?

1. Affording a pipe, and then knowing how to properly smoke and care for it.

2. Finding blends that you like, suited to your tastes, and that might end up running into buying a lot of blends until you find what you like.

3. Then, smoking and enjoying what you like. Is it to moist, to dry, did I pack it right, or to tight, smoked to slow or to fast, am I getting my money’s worth in smoking and getting the most out of each bowl.

4. Breaking in an uncoated chamber, am I smoking it correctly, how hot, warm, or cool to keep it. Then trying to create an even carbon layer throughout the chamber.

These four are just a few fine examples, but there are a few others to consider, and for me, the real cherry on the top;

Am I good enough, to own an expensive pipe?

And when I start smoking expensive pipes, do I have enough experience to know whether or not they were worth what I paid, or I simply paid for a name, no better than any decent brand.

I said a lot of ‘I’ here, as to mean me only, and of course, these have all been thoughts in my mind, but these should also be what we all consider.

Sure, it’s just a pipe, and tobacco, how difficult can it be? Stick some tobacco in a pipe, light it and smoke it.

Well, if we all want to aspire to a level of connoisseur, appreciate a finer smoking pipe, appreciating quality tobacco, etc., then it certainly does look like this is like life, you get out of it, what you put into it.

All I can say, is I’ve spent a hell of a lot of time in learning;

The Finer Art of Pipe Smoking... :)

F69D3E5D-830E-4A14-BC5B-0845E76B0CB1.jpeg

Last edited:

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
When your wife asks you for the umpteenth time why you need "so many pipes" you:

A: Close your laptop so she doesn't see what you were looking at.
B: Engage her in a conversation on the finer points of chamber diameter, pipe shapes, materials, and resting briar between smokes.
C: Ask her what she wants for her birthday.
D: Stare her down as you click on the place order button.