PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would not consider a Morgan pipe an artisan pipe. Most quality artisan pipes run from 250-over a 1000.00 and more.
Most of my artisan pipes were made by Rad Davis and Jack Howell and their price points for the money are very tough to beat. I have smoked a 300.00 pipe that smokes better than thousand dollar pipes I used to collect. I used to collect Formers back around 2000 and not a one beat my Rad Davis or Jack Howell pipes. Name isn't everything but I will say the Formers were gorgeous.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I think it matters how much psychology plays into your consumption of things. For a utilitarian, it plays a small role. For an art collector, it plays a much larger role. You know...are you a minimalist or a hoarder? How does your brain work?

I used to collect pipes that cost several hundred dollars, and I loved owning them. I genuinely appreciated them, but I'm also made up of those utilitarian genes. I like a pretty tool as much as the next person, but could I find a balance between it being a tool and it being attractive enough and all the many ways a pipe can be attractive? I eventually sold all my pricey pipes, partially because I knew I wouldn't lose any money on them while finding that said balance. I do have to admit that I wish I had a couple of them back, but that's because they looked so dang cool. It's for no other reason. I don't want them back because I want to smoke them again, though I would. I'm personally much more at ease with being closer to that utilitarian margin than away from it.

I learned at a young age that you should buy and consume what you want, not what others say you should. When I bought my first bicycle (I'm from a time and place where Breaking Away was the coolest movie ever), I found I wanted the $700 bike. Everyone around me was chirping in my ear about how ridiculous that was. You know, when someone doesn't appreciate the same things you do, the outside world can come up with 100 reasons why it is silly. I was young and foolishly listened. I bought another bike and not the one I wanted. I never was happy with that bike. It satisfied nothing, other than having something to ride. But that's also how all these chirpers viewed a bike: it's something to get you from point A to point B. WRONG! It's a lot more than that...for some people, and clearly, it was a lot more than that for me. Psychology. It stuck in my craw the entire time I owned that bike. It made me enjoy it a lot less.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I would not consider a Morgan pipe an artisan pipe. Most quality artisan pipes run from 250-over a 1000.00 and more.
Most of my artisan pipes were made by Rad Davis and Jack Howell and their price points for the money are very tough to beat. I have smoked a 300.00 pipe that smokes better than thousand dollar pipes I used to collect. I used to collect Formers back around 2000 and not a one beat my Rad Davis or Jack Howell pipes. Name isn't everything but I will say the Formers were gorgeous.

Oh god no, I am sorry if I gave the impression that Bones pipes were artisan. He does in fact have artisan pipes on his website, but the Bones pipes in no way should be considered as such. I was merely using them as an example of lower cost can definitely mean lower quality. Again, sorry for any confusion there - and thank you for helping me clarify that point.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

sigaholic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2022
Fort Collins
Many inexpensive pipes smoke great. I have many high dollar pipes. Most of them smoke well also. It’s all in the drilling in my opinion. A proper air flow is key

Reactions: Cap

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
I think K. E. Powell said it best. I started off with a cob and had no idea what I was doing. I didn’t have a rotation or anything like that and just smoked the same pipe every day. One day my cob pipe started to taste sour to me so I searched online about my problem only to discover that you’re generally supposed to have more than one pipe to ‘rotate’. I shopped around and got a couple of basket pipes and a few more cobs. I couldn’t figure out why these cheap briar pipes weren’t smoking as well as my cob pipes. It was to the point where I couldn’t understand why on God’s green earth someone would even want to smoke one of these crappy wooden pipes over a cob. Eventually I got a bones pipe (still cheap but better than the other briars) and finally, a Savinelli. Once I bought a Savinelli I understood why people enjoy briar pipes so much. Do yourself a favor and buy a Savinelli.
I agree. I started out with cobs and cheap Chinese briars, but after my first Savinelli, I understood the difference. I feel the same about Petersons as well. At the $100 price point, there’s no finer smoking pipes in my opinion.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Oh god no, I am sorry if I gave the impression that Bones pipes were artisan. He does in fact have artisan pipes on his website, but the Bones pipes in no way should be considered as such. I was merely using them as an example of lower cost can definitely mean lower quality. Again, sorry for any confusion there - and thank you for helping me clarify that point.
No worries, I didn't think you were considering Bones pipes as artisan. They definitely serve a purpose , you can beat the hell out of them and still get a decent smoke.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Greetings,
For the most part you get what you paid for but is it always going to be that way with a pipe ?

Examples:
Would i truly experience a much greater smoke with say

Peterson 68 Donegal Rocky 100.00

Savinelli 606KS Flambe 135.00

Savinelli Trevi Rustic 626

VS Say something like

LaRocca 35.00
Mr Blogs 55.00
and so on.

I have not ever bought a pipe of 100 pluss dollars and i sure do not want to regret doing so.

Thank You
For almost two centuries the basic formula for a briar pipe has not changed at all.

The briar must be old, cured, and preferably aged Mediterranean briar.

The stem is made from some kind of plastic materiel, either hard rubber or acrylic.

You could as easily say the same thing about a common pocket knife. It’s made of steel blades and has a handle the blades fold into, every one.

A pipe and a pocket knife are accessories for men, the same as a pair of cuff links, wallet, or a belt.

The more you pay the fancier, but they all work the same.

Why most of the pipes I buy are high condition Lee Star Grades are I get a pipe that priced in 1946 dollars cost $150 for about $30 or so. None are really any better, at any price.

And my pipes have real gold stars and will never have a loose stem, a too tight stem, or crack at the tenon or shank.

4EDA28FD-0C31-4B7C-B7BD-54F99FFE7B32.jpeg

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I find it extremely subjective on the prices that B&M sets on a pipe. I mean sure there are great carvers out there and some prices should be higher for a piece of art. And the age of a pipe, same idea. Take for instance Randy Wiley. I have seen one of his pipes in a shop brand new in the bag/ box for $200-300, and I have seen the exact same pipe not go for $50 on an auction.

Also consider if your new and really like the way a pipe looks maybe just find one like the big name to see if it’s really what you want. But, once you start collecting it’s like a fungus or mold that just takes over every thought you are thinking. And then you will be like one of the guys on here. Sure the basic principle of the pipe construction and draw are going to be pretty close to that basket pipe you found compared to the big money pipe. But once you get the big fancy expensive pipe you get better quality craftsmanship and quality control.

If you want a pipe to smoke grab what you think is nice for what you can afford.

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
For almost two centuries the basic formula for a briar pipe has not changed at all.

The briar must be old, cured, and preferably aged Mediterranean briar.

The stem is made from some kind of plastic materiel, either hard rubber or acrylic.

You could as easily say the same thing about a common pocket knife. It’s made of steel blades and has a handle the blades fold into, every one.

A pipe and a pocket knife are accessories for men, the same as a pair of cuff links, wallet, or a belt.

The more you pay the fancier, but they all work the same.

Why most of the pipes I buy are high condition Lee Star Grades are I get a pipe that priced in 1946 dollars cost $150 for about $30 or so. None are really any better, at any price.

And my pipes have real gold stars and will never have a loose stem, a too tight stem, or crack at the tenon or shank.

View attachment 182798
Rhodesian or straight bulldog?
Man thats beautiful!!

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Still controversial in some quarters
But it's generally accepted that -
Diamond shank = Bulldog
Round shank = Rhodesian

I’m gonna guess and say judging by the twin bead lines and diamond shank, it’s a classic Bulldog with a saddle stem, one of my favorite pipe shapes.
Starting to draw me towards one !! Ok both !!

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I’ve bought a couple of cheap pipes and each time, on receipt, I’ve been roundly disappointed in the look and feel i.e it both looks cheap and nasty and feels cheap and nasty… that being said they smoke just fine

Case in point the pocket sized dr plumb ‘dinky’ I had this morning filled with Savinelli Armonia with my coffee, cost about $45 and as a pipe its never winning an award, but it was perfect for the time I had and it smokes just fine (I just wouldn’t take it out in public!)

Reactions: Briar Lee and Cap

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Still controversial in some quarters
But it's generally accepted that -
Diamond shank = Bulldog
Round shank = Rhodesian

I’m gonna guess and say judging by the twin bead lines and diamond shank, it’s a classic Bulldog with a saddle stem, one of my favorite pipe shapes.
I call a square shank pipe of this style a Bulldog.

The cat agrees, but usually doesn’t argue about such things.
Beautiful Bowl

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Beautiful Bowl
A lot of love for Bulldogs and Rhodesians among the members
You only have to look at the WAYS thread.
Mind you, there are a few members who dislike them 😟

Me, with over 40 of them, I obviously love Bulldogs.
But only 3 Rhodesians. Go figure. 🙄

Reactions: Cap