New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I was in this boat early on. I couldn't justify a pipe over 120 for a long time. Then one day I saw a pipe rack full of 60-120 dollar pipes I didn't really care for except for a few of them. For every 3 pipes on that rack, I could've bought something nicer.
I sold off everything I wasn't attached to and started fresh. Started buying estates, commissioning artisans and every now and then buying a new pipe from a retailer. I found myself not constantly wanting to buy another and another, etc. (Let's be honest, I always want another). But I was appreciated what I was buying alot more and because they all smoked so damn good, I was buying less of them. Now I have a collection that I'm quite happy with and love every piece in it. I'm also tuned into what I prefer in a pipe now so I'm alot more picky with buying. Now, it must have all the right dimensions for me to even consider looking at the price. Finish is also important. Then if the price is reasonable, I pull the trigger.
The only thing I wish someone told me earlier is don't go for quantity, go for quality. Again - don't buy 3 $100 pipes out of impulse or because they're on sale or something. Save that 300 bucks up and take your time looking. You may decide you want 2 or 3 pipes for that 300, or you may fall in love with just 1 pipe that costs 300 (or you mat commision one). I can promise you that you don't wanna end up with a pile of pipes that you just don't really care for.

It's a journey man, everybody's jas been different. But with help and advice from folks here, you'll figure out what suits you. Godspeed man, and enjoy the journey.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was in this boat early on. I couldn't justify a pipe over 120 for a long time. Then one day I saw a pipe rack full of 60-120 dollar pipes I didn't really care for except for a few of them. For every 3 pipes on that rack, I could've bought something nicer.
I sold off everything I wasn't attached to and started fresh. Started buying estates, commissioning artisans and every now and then buying a new pipe from a retailer. I found myself not constantly wanting to buy another and another, etc. (Let's be honest, I always want another). But I was appreciated what I was buying alot more and because they all smoked so damn good, I was buying less of them. Now I have a collection that I'm quite happy with and love every piece in it. I'm also tuned into what I prefer in a pipe now so I'm alot more picky with buying. Now, it must have all the right dimensions for me to even consider looking at the price. Finish is also important. Then if the price is reasonable, I pull the trigger.
The only thing I wish someone told me earlier is don't go for quantity, go for quality. Again - don't buy 3 $100 pipes out of impulse or because they're on sale or something. Save that 300 bucks up and take your time looking. You may decide you want 2 or 3 pipes for that 300, or you may fall in love with just 1 pipe that costs 300 (or you mat commision one). I can promise you that you don't wanna end up with a pile of pipes that you just don't really care for.

It's a journey man, everybody's jas been different. But with help and advice from folks here, you'll figure out what suits you. Godspeed man, and enjoy the journey.
I've found that some artisans charge less than $200 and you can find huge estate meerschaums for less than $100. Easily my comfort zone after spending far more on individual pipes.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Buy a Rossi. It’s Savinelli’s seconds line, and they’re using the same briar. I strongly suspect anything with a pit or fill goes to Rossi. Thus , they have rusticated or heavy smooth finishes, but they smoke just as well as Savinellis that cost twice as much.

Last edited:

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
A Savinelli man myself first and foremost. Great pipes in a price range that makes sense to me personally. I am not an artisan enthusiast as I'd rather spend my extra money on tobaccos. I do own several Petersons and they have all been great smokers Although many criticize Peterson's quality, not been my experience. Budget pipes, I go with Rossi, Molina, Ropp or Balandis, all solid products IMO

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Buy a Rossi. It’s Savinelli’s seconds line, and they’re using the same briar. I strongly suspect anything with a pit or fill goes to Rossi. Thus , they have rusticated or heavy smooth finishes, but they smoke just as well as Savinellis that cost twice as much.
The best smoking Savinellis I've ever smoked cost about $40 each back in the 1990s. And at the same time the worst Savinelli I ever smoked cost me $300. So, go figure..... puffy

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've found that some artisans charge less than $200 and you can find huge estate meerschaums for less than $100. Easily my comfort zone after spending far more on individual pipes.
Exactly. To commision a pipe for my specifications at under 200 bucks is just perfect for me. Sure, I like to indulge every now and then for something out of my price range. But for my daily smokers, I prefer my exact airway dimension, length, bowl depth, etc. And estate meerschaums can be bought for a bargain, as you said.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have smoked 2000.00 artisan pipes that did not smoke nearly as well as my 300-400 American artisan pipes. Yes the grain was ridiculous and the shaping was top notch but smoking wise they didn't compare.

I look at artisans who have been carving a scant 3-4 years and they are charging 500-1500 and I just laugh at the lemmings who pay those stupid prices.

JimK

Lifer
Feb 11, 2021
Why I prefer to smoke old Upshalls and Savinelli Autographs - the wood! Have had some American "artisan" pipes that smoked G-d awful (and weighed a lot; another sign) because of the wood used. Tend not to do oil-cured timber, either. I do admire the shaping skills of many of the new wave of carvers and have tried to support US carvers to some extent but have only ended up keeping Nachwalter (seven-day set; great carving, OK smoking), and one each Burak (size 2 flake pipe) and Wilke (beater) pipes. But, if one can afford it, and get pleasure from buying a $2K piece of art or that of the the new "over-priced" artisans, why not? They may not be as "beautiful on the tongue" as they are "on the the eye" - but they're still beautiful. And, yes, I'm a junky for pipe collection auction catalogs, etc.

dadbobcat77

Lurker
Oct 1, 2022
my $35 Dr. Grabow burns a little hotter than my $97 Baraccini, but the cheaper one doesn't gurgle. and the blue finish on my Baraccini is blistering around the rim.

• Wow
Reactions: Cap

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Seriously, there are so many good choices in the $100 and under range that I never think about going much beyond that for a new pipe. Rossi, Ropp, Kaywoodie, Peterson, Savinelli, Molina, Rattray's, Brigham, Falcon...I think the least I paid for a great new pipe was my Medico back-of-the-box offer pipe, a bent rusticated egg, for 28 bucks, including shipping. Great pipe, easy deal.

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Seriously, there are so many good choices in the $100 and under range that I never think about going much beyond that for a new pipe. Rossi, Ropp, Kaywoodie, Peterson, Savinelli, Molina, Rattray's, Brigham, Falcon...I think the least I paid for a great new pipe was my Medico back-of-the-box offer pipe, a bent rusticated egg, for 28 bucks, including shipping. Great pipe, easy deal.
I agree totally.
Got my eyes set on a new Peterson Army. I have wanted a Peterson for some time and its time for some.

Gina took her phone money and bought me a LaRocca a while back. Like 41 dollars total shipped to my door.
Its not a bad smoke. Tends to smoke warmer then some but all in all - it Blessed me.

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
If you're looking for a great smoker. Money is less irrelevant to this question. You will have to buy different shapes of pipes, and smoke them yourself. Because everyone has different standards for smoking experience. Otherwise, there will not be so many different shapes of pipes out there. For me, I like tomato shape and churchwarden shape.

Beautiful grains, huge size, complex design, rarity, famous manufacturer, making pipes more expensive. This is the external condition.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Why I prefer to smoke old Upshalls and Savinelli Autographs - the wood! Have had some American "artisan" pipes that smoked G-d awful (and weighed a lot; another sign) because of the wood used. Tend not to do oil-cured timber, either. I do admire the shaping skills of many of the new wave of carvers and have tried to support US carvers to some extent but have only ended up keeping Nachwalter (seven-day set; great carving, OK smoking), and one each Burak (size 2 flake pipe) and Wilke (beater) pipes. But, if one can afford it, and get pleasure from buying a $2K piece of art or that of the the new "over-priced" artisans, why not? They may not be as "beautiful on the tongue" as they are "on the the eye" - but they're still beautiful. And, yes, I'm a junky for pipe collection auction catalogs, etc.
I am curious as to which American carvers you did not like.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Others here are much more knowledgeable than I, but personally I find the biggest difference in those price ranges to be the fit, finish, and quality of the stem work. The Morgan Bones pipes for example, of which I own several, the briar is well done and I love the feel of them, but the stems are atrocious and I no longer smoke them. Complaining about them in another thread I compared them to two plastic tongue depressors taped together.

The bowl of your pipe fits in your hand, and it has to have a fit, finish, and feel that is pleasant, good, and enjoyable to you. The bit of the pipe goes in your mouth, and your mouth is a LOT more sensitive than your hand so that bit has to be comfortable (not sure I want to say that the bit needs to be enjoyable in your mouth). Your eye sees the pipe in its entirety, so there again it needs to be aesthetically pleasing to you. So even when there are not major differences in smoking mechanics between a $30 and a $120 pipe, there certainly may be factors that improve your first-person experience with your pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Been there. Damaged goods, missing or incomplete orders, bad customer service, etc. Some forum members have reported good results but the bad ones have been really bad. During their 2017 IPSD sale, I got double charged for an order that I never received nor was reimbursed payment.
which is extra unacceptable when there are other companies that run their business the opposite way. Where they've fixed things that they could've have said that's a you problem and not gotten any legit complaints. My go to is still S.P. fixing an estate well after their stated time period for doing so.