PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
High-end audio is fraught with the diminishing returns you describe—it can cost an arm and a leg to extract that nth degree of musical information from an LP or CD—but, sometimes that little bit of info that reveals an echo off of the rear wall of the recording space or delicate harmonic from a guitar string makes the listening session truly magical and worth every penny, dollar, or limb. I'm not sure the same could be said for a pipe, but, maybe, when the stars are aligned.
This is true. I have an audiophile friend that built his house around the soundroom. He brought in a guy from Nashville to design and appoint the room with all manner of materials and surfaces. Then there was the issue of hardware- turntable, receiver, CD player, signal-conditioned power supply, pre amp, amp, & speakers. He had the means to do all of this, so the expense was worth it for him. I can also say, from first hand experience, that this sort of setup is not just throwing money away on fancy equipment. The first time I listened to music in there was a near spiritual experience. But your point is well taken. At some point though, fancier and fancier equipment will give smaller and smaller measurable improvements in performance. And if you are a tone-deaf, knuckle-dragging mouth-breather like me, you'll never even notice the difference...

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey