PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Werner Mummert's apple. Always liked some of his more wacky stuff, but this was as far out on the limb that I felt like going.

Waiting for the right Mummert bulldog to come along, and that'll likely be it from him.

Werner-Mummert-2.jpegWerner-Mummert-3.jpeg

A set of pokers from Tom Eltang. The shot of the pair is from them in his shop being made.

IMG_0847.jpeg

tompoker1.jpeg

Tom Eltang Arne Jacobsen mini. I like this for a shorter smoke. Looks better in person, buffed up nice. Smokes very fine, in my opinion.

eltang.jpeg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Werner Mummert's apple. Always liked some of his more wacky stuff, but this was as far out on the limb that I felt like going.

Waiting for the right Mummert bulldog to come along, and that'll likely be it from him.

View attachment 165992View attachment 165993

A set of pokers from Tom Eltang. The shot of the pair is from them in his shop being made.

View attachment 165995

View attachment 165996

Tom Eltang Arne Jacobsen mini. I like this for a shorter smoke. Looks better in person, buffed up nice. Smokes very fine, in my opinion.

View attachment 165997
Great pipes. Werner does shit that no one else even thinks about.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
every pipe in this thread doesn’t look worth over a grand (to me of course). Yeah they have nice grain but still…

This is a perennial rabbit hole. A pipe is a block of wood with two holes in it. Sometimes only one if it was made by Bill Ashton. How could it possibly be expensive? The answer of course is that you can always find reasons to spend more than the bare minimum on anything; even so-called commodity goods can be (and often have been) redefined as luxury items and then succeed in commanding a premium for the brand. Not infrequently if you build it they will come. This doesn't bother me in the least. What other people do with their money is none of my business and interests me not at all. Unless I'm married to them.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
This is a perennial rabbit hole. A pipe is a block of wood with two holes in it. Sometimes only one if it was made by Bill Ashton. How could it possibly be expensive? The answer of course is that you can always find reasons to spend more than the bare minimum on anything; even so-called commodity goods can be (and often have been) redefined as luxury items and then succeed in commanding a premium for the brand. Not infrequently if you build it they will come. This doesn't bother me in the least. What other people do with their money is none of my business and interests me not at all. Unless I'm married to them.
I totally don’t care about the expenditures of others and am not judging them, as they do not share my sensibilities and budget. I need to invent a $2,000 toaster oven or something because to your point there is a luxury market for almost everything, I just can’t be in all of them. This thread and “what are you smoking now” have made me more appreciative of highly polished grain with nice patterns and I enjoy looking at all of them. I just won’t part with 2k to be able to look at my own in person.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I totally don’t care about the expenditures of others and am not judging them, as they do not share my sensibilities and budget. I need to invent a $2,000 toaster oven or something because to your point there is a luxury market for almost everything, I just can’t be in all of them. This thread and “what are you smoking now” have made me more appreciative of highly polished grain with nice patterns and I enjoy looking at all of them. I just won’t part with 2k to be able to look at my own in person
I have a friend who collects Ferraris and thinks nothing of spending $50,000 on a wrist watch. But thinks $500 is way too much for a bottle of wine. And he is a foodie !

We all have a limit on how much we'd spend on something.
And that's OK by me.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I totally don’t care about the expenditures of others and am not judging them, as they do not share my sensibilities and budget. I need to invent a $2,000 toaster oven or something because to your point there is a luxury market for almost everything, I just can’t be in all of them. This thread and “what are you smoking now” have made me more appreciative of highly polished grain with nice patterns and I enjoy looking at all of them. I just won’t part with 2k to be able to look at my own in person.
In reply to your post, would seem there is a luxury market for anything.
1661896962441.png