PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The first luxury car I ever sat in and examined and then got to ride in was one of the yearly Lincoln Continental four door convertibles my Daddy’s hood looking cousin’s rich banker husband got in every year when the leaves turned.

When Wanda and Chet got in their new Lincoln, they’d come over and visit and spend an afternoon.

After my mother lent me to Wanda (who was childless but otherwise had all the world ever gifted to a woman) and I gave her the grand tour of the home place, and I got free I’d go examine the new Lincoln.

It was a very nice car, with luxurious features, but even then I understood it was a fancy version of the Ford Galaxie 500 we owned.

The most expensive pipe on earth is meerschaum, morta, or briar and has a stem attached, the same as this one:

F4533159-E948-4DC4-81C5-A305F6D093BA.jpegWhat is, a high end pipe?

The one above was the most expensive ($25) cataloged production pipe in the world the day it was made.

It caught a customer, too.

Luxury is manufactured, I think.

Last edited:

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Is there such a thing as a 2 to 8 grand (new unused) pipe as the OP has stated? I can’t imagine anyone paying more than a grand or two. That and every pipe in this thread doesn’t look worth over a grand (to me of course). Yeah they have nice grain but still…

Of course, I may just not have an eye for such things. But let’s admit it is a visual thing exclusively. Performance is irrelevant when 8/10 run of the mill pipes smoke just fine.

The only guy that comes close to being able to justify $1000+ is the guy with what was the most costly pipe 200 years ago. But even that…looks like any old pipe.

I’m not knocking you guys but I was expecting to see pipes with more precious metals, bedazzled with gemstones and crazier shapes.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Agreed, but if human desire was limited to necessity the world would be a poorer if simpler place.
We solved most every problem in the world about 45 years ago in the lobby of the UMKC dormitory.

We decided the cheapest luxury on earth was a penny gum ball, from a vending machine. You don’t need it, it may rot your teeth, it’s all sugar, but it soothes a wounded soul.

The most expensive luxury, then and today, is an ocean going luxury yacht.

Of course the best luxury is free, sort of.

Back then those young girls, looked at us young boys in ways only fondly remembered today.:)