PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Back in 1981 I went to the Owl Shop in New haven, Ct. on a quiet Tuesday afternoon while waiting for a friend taking an ROTC class. After talking to the shopkeeper who also made pipes (upstairs) and showed me his workshop and gave me a tutorial about briar and the carving process for about 45 minutes, I selected a Peterson 68 Irish Army (Aran?) ... I still have it and it still smokes great. He explained to me that all pipe makers try to make from each block of briar, or find, a heart of the briar opus-like pipe ... straight grain along the sides with birdseye on the bottom. Its supposed to represent, from an Aesthetic perspective, a perfect pipe just below center of the briar root ball. Whenever I bought pipes I tried to find that pattern or close to it. It probably doesn't smoke better then any other pattern but when i would see that I thought the least I could do to honor the maker and his craft was to buy it and enjoy it !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Back in 1981 I went to the Owl Shop in New haven, Ct. on a quiet Tuesday afternoon while waiting for a friend taking an ROTC class. After talking to the shopkeeper who also made pipes (upstairs) and showed me his workshop and gave me a tutorial about briar and the carving process for about 45 minutes, I selected a Peterson 68 Irish Army (Aran?) ... I still have it and it still smokes great. He explained to me that all pipe makers try to make from each block of briar, or find, a heart of the briar opus-like pipe ... straight grain along the sides with birdseye on the bottom. Its supposed to represent, from an Aesthetic perspective, a perfect pipe just below center of the briar root ball. Whenever I bought pipes I tried to find that pattern or close to it. It probably doesn't smoke better then any other pattern but when i would see that I thought the least I could do to honor the maker and his craft was to buy it and enjoy it !
Correction: I should have said the Owl Shop in Worcester, Massachusettes ! Thats where the pipes were made back in the day.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Some sort of Dr. Grabow, a straight billiard if I recall. I accompanied it with a pouch of Middleton's Apple tobacco. I took my spoils and sat in the woods behind my house at 14 years old (1979) and proceeded to get massive tongue bite and puked my brains out. Good times! I knew I was hooked then...

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hmm….. believe I answered this thread earlier by mentioning a that I first bought a full bent Dr. Grabow…. long, long ago.

But….. my FIRST pipe….. was a Dublin shaped pipe that I “borrowed” from my Dad when I was a young kid. It was one of a few pipes he had kept in a desk drawer because he seldom smoked it (his pipes that were in active use were out in his pipe rack). I knew better than to “borrow” one of his pipes on the pipe rack…. because he would have noticed it was missing. :)

This “borrowed” pipe gave me my first opportunity as a kid to see what pipe tobacco was all about! :)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Bought a £4 clay pipe two years ago, a packet of st bruno and black mallory. Burnt my mouth so much I had to put frozen cucumber slices on my tongue to calm it down! I loved it so much despite constantly burning my tongue. Eventually moved on to briars and finally got the knack of sipping and nuances.
@robbie Still got your clay pipe?

Reactions: Latakia Dave

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
No, it got pretty yellow and dirty, so I tried to clean it with a blow torch. It came out lovely pure white but cracked unfortunately. Do you manage to smoke your clays without burning your tongue? They can get really hot. I loved the flavour of the smoke, I guess you need to do super light sippin.
@robbie When I first got my clay pipes people who watched my videos said I was puffing too hard on them but that was because I thought it might go out.
I've tried using the pipe tool and not puffing too hard, tried the breath smoking technique as well.