PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Title edited. Rule 9, please.

Mine was a cob, a gift from my mom when I was just a wee tyke. When The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was re-released in the '50's it apparently had a big influence on me.
In my Senior year of High School I bought my own pipe, a Mastercaft Zulu from a Thrifty drugstore. Niether survived the shifting sands of time.
By then our predominant tobacconist in town, Parker's, had gone out of business and the vacume eventually filled by a few B&M shops and, of course The Tinder Box at our spankin' new mall.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I guess my first pipe was one that I made when I was about 15 or 16 on my grandad's Shop Smith wood lathe. I used a piece of bamboo for the stem (all the rage now ??) and a mouthpiece from one of those teeny corn cobs that they sold at Cracker Barrel. When I was an undergraduate I bought a Dr Garbow bent pipe (still the only bent pipe I have ever owned) and I tried smoking drugstore blends. That didn't last too long My dad adopted that pipe but never really smoked it I don't know what happened to it I kind of wish I had it.
When I was in graduate school I bought some basket straight pipe but I broke it pretty quick. I did not touch another one until about 5 years ago when I bought a MM Country Gentalman gentleman. I smoked that pipe a few times a year until one day I burn it out. That was last winter That's when I bought my first decent briar pipe a Brairworks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still have it, still smoke it, still appreciate its handsome looks, a Tinder Box St. Ives smooth bent pot with a unique vertical saddle stem, bought new about 1978 at the Tinder Box in a nearby N.C. shopping mall. I had a long hiatus in pipe smoking when I quit in solidarity with my late wife's quitting smoking nails. But I kept my pipes, about six or eight at the time. It included three Iwan Ries Edwards-made Bentons of oil cured Algerian briar -- a straight tapered billiard, a Canadian, and a pocket-pipe Oom-Paul, all still going strong. The Tinder Box pipe was probably made by Comoy, according to an in-house historian at Iwan-Ries.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A $10 generic bent billiard by JoyOld Elf off of eBay. Served its purpose nicely for several months, until it became fatally ghosted by a partial bowl of Vauen Auenland Evening Mixture (I can picture Newman from Seinfeld spitting out the broccoli in The Chicken Roaster and shouting "Vile Weed!"). Gifted it to an inquisitive acquaintance who didn't mind everything tasting like pineapple, and moved on to my first serious pipe, a Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
cob made by my grandfather and me.
I’m intrigued by these references to your homemade cobs. So, shoot me a PM and tell me how much for SHA Original, if you still have any interest in making them. I can even wait until harvest time to get it fresh if you have access to a cornfield.