PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
A Bjarne Viking Classic for $60 in 2008 ish. and I still smoke it. Bought it going in to buy cigars and always thought they looked great and felt maybe I was missing out on this entire other form of the leaf. Bought based on looks. It gurgled for a long time but not terribly. Finally I learned enough and opened the airway just a bit and it’s perfect. One of my favorites. I bought another recently from the same period but haven’t smoked it.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
A corn cob bought at a military PX in 1990-1991 while stationed in Korea along with a pouch of Captain Black. I don’t know what happened to it as it wasn’t too special to me at the time. My first briar pipe was a Stanwell
that I still have but don’t smoke anymore.

JocoPack

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
A 1930s or 40s (I believe) era Kaywoodie I received a few months ago. Was passed down to me from my father-in-law. I enjoyed smoking it but noticed a very weird issue with it where it has summoned other pipes of all different shapes and brands onto the same shelf. I am perplexed by this although my wife has her own ideas.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Probably a Dr. Grabow and a pouch of Half and Half at the Base Exchange Mtn. Home AFB 1981... I wasn't very successful at my first go around, and trashed the pipe when I PCS'ed to England. Didn't buy another pipe until 1990. I had discovered premium cigars at that point, and since the local shop also sold pipes, now you know the rest of the story. Good day!

Reactions: Puff nstuff

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
When I was about 8, my uncle gave me and my brother a couple pipes each. He was transitioning to cigs I think, and these pipes no longer were needed. I can't remember the brands of the straight pipes we got, but my brother got a Wellington and I got a this Well Bent basket pipe. I haven't smoked it in years, but I'll always keep it.

My first purchased pipe was a Capri branded basket pipe. Seemed to smoke ok, but I was completely new and ignorant as well, so who knows?

Attachments

• 20220427_212454.jpg
    20220427_212454.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2

Eye-level

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2021
Tulsa Oklahoma
1989 Joplin Missouri at college I bought a Dr Grabow and a pouch of Captain Black from a cstore. Traded it for alcohol a couple weeks later. Fast forward to a few years ago about a year before the pandemic I scored an Edward's billiard 700-S #7 in perfect nearly unsmoked condition for like $8 (a great little pipe btw one of my favorites)..I've been hooked for sure now. I have roughly 30 pipes (mostly Eds) and 5# of tobacco now. The main theme of my collection is pipe shop briar pipes mostly smooths...I have examples from 5 or 6 different pipe shops...fancy working man pipes.

Last edited:
Reactions: HRPufnstuf

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
An "Adsorba" 9mm filtered pipe, purchased from a tobacconist near Ramstein Air Base/K-Town Germany... early 1998. Came with a tin of Vauen 150 Jahre Jubiläumsedition pipe tobacco, a black leather pipe pouch, some pipe cleaners, 9mm filters, wooden matches, and a Czech Tool. A little wear and tear on the finish, but this bad Larry is still in the rotation.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 1

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Forget what I bought in London, on a high school trip. Remember it was a black rusticated pipe. Wasn’t a Dunhill.
Bought a Pete 315 Estate pipe from Iwan Ries when I was in college. Smoked the tires off it, unfortunately I misplaced it. Don’t know what became of it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My first pipe was a cob. Between ignorance, bourbon, stupidly, hard headedness, more stupidity and even more bourbon, I freight trained that pipe so hard it and my tongue nearly burned to a cob.

I then bought a Savinelli. Same experience.

If you pay attention you’ll notice I don’t smoke cobs or Savinellis because either those pipes suck or my technique was an absolute shitshow.

Patience and perseverance paid off.

I now own pipes/tobacco and am constantly broke.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
In my 20s I was smoking cigars. Until I went on a camping trip with a college buddy who brought along a couple pipes. I was hooked and he sent me home with one of his Stanwells. Sadly, about 5 years ago, I set it on top of my car to free up my hands, forgot about it, and drove off, never to see it again.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
A cob..... at the time my dad smoked mixture 79 and Carter hall mixed together (I think bond street had either gotten too expensive or had been discontinued, this was early 90s) so I got. pouch of each, mixed it, and tore my tongue up! I still cannot even think about burley without my tongue aching. I picked up cigars, they were much gentler LOL.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

ckcutler

Lurker
Dec 29, 2021
Michigan
M M Charles Towne Cobbler - loved the size, stem and feel in my mouth. This is my go to outdoor pipe (with a screen) for chores and fly fishing.

The first pipe I ever spent a few dollars on was a Savinelli Canadian Tre. This shape is exactly what I think a pipe should look like. I have different sizes, shapes... but I always go back to the Canadian.

1651587861268.png