PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SourShank

Lurker
Nov 26, 2021
Germany
Over a decade ago I bought the MM General. Looking back at it, it was a terrible first pipe and my knowledge in tobacco was poor to nonexistent. I exclusively smoked Black Vanilla Cavendish and it was impossible to keep lit. Gurgled, bit me, and tasted like hot air (my fault not the pipe).

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Very nice! Were you a kid or an adult at the time? Do you still have this cob?
Just a child. He had lots of a tools and a lathe. We made all sorts of little wooden items. Not sure why we made the pipe, but we had feed corn on the cob for the horses and plently of cane down on the river banks. That pipe is long gone, but still retain the fond memories.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’m intrigued by these references to your homemade cobs. So, shoot me a PM and tell me how much for SHA Original, if you still have any interest in making them. I can even wait until harvest time to get it fresh if you have access to a cornfield.
Papaw had all sorts of wood working tools and a lathe. Since they always planted Hickory King corn variety, those cobs could have been 10" long more of less. Beaning corn for feed, the cobs would have already been drying for several months.

We would sand off the part that held the kernels and drill the cob probably using the drill press. The cane is hollow, so you could run a coat hanger wire to clean out, bore a hole in the bottom of the cob and insert. I remember trying to smoke leavea...LOL!!

kyle88

Lurker
Dec 30, 2021
First pipe was a no named prince shaped second..got a selection of tobaccos Including Peterson's University Flake and Bag Piper's Dream..didn't have a clue what to do or how to prepare the tobacco..took the university flake which was very wet..shoved it in the pipe as hard as I could and lit her up...truth to be told it was a horrible first experience but with time and dedication it got much more pleasant..molding me into the pipe tobacco hobbyist I am today.